The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Default "Real world PA" comparison of Lyric and Black Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWq1sretcLU

I'm using the camera's microphone when talking, but when playing I pan 100% (in post-processing) over to a recorder setup mid-sanctuary about twenty feet away from me that's using a Miktek PM5. Hopefully this gets close to a "real world" demo of the two pickups and a possible combination. Please feel free to leave any comments you'd like.

Lyric only

Video @ 1:51 Treble and Bass are at unity (12:00 on dial) - muddy/boxy/blurry bass
Video @ 2:55 Bass 25% (9:00 on dial), Treble at unity - A little more accurate overall but not great
Video @ 3:55 Bass is completely off, Treble at unity - No bass but what IS there is more accurate - just not groovey or moving

DiMarzio Only

Video @ 5:55 Treble and Bass are at Unity (12:00 on dial) - A bit too electric, but the sound is very usable

DiMarzio and Lyric Combined

Video @ 8:55 DiMarzio Treble 40% (10:30 on dial), Bass 50% (12:00 on dial), Volume 45% (11:00 on dial)
Video @ 8:55 Lyric Treble 120% (1:00 on dial), Bass is completely off, Volume 25% (9:00 on dial)

Listening to the video over and over now, I could probably bring the DiMarzio treble down to 25% or so for a bit less "electric cut" sound and bring the Lyric's treble down to 100% or so for a little better balance.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 01-03-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 AM

Thanks,
I checked out your video and posted a comment.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 AM

That's a very "live" environment that you're working in, David. I suspect that contributes to your perception that the the Lyric sounds muddy. In any event, your solution with the blended signals seems to work well for that situation. You can certainly get more focused and less ambient sounding lows from a mag pickup than from a mic inside a guitar.

On the subject of the Anthem SL system (which was mentioned in a comment about your video), I've had my own issues with the low mids from my Anthem SL-equipped cedar-topped OM. That guitar is naturally strong in the low mids, so I'm using a graphic equalizer to cut 5db at 200Hz and 4db at 400Hz. Before I started doing that, my amplified sound drew comments like "your guitar sounds like a classical" or simply "your guitar sounds too bassy". My guitar sound has only drawn positive comments since I started using the graphic EQ with the Anthem SL.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
That's a very "live" environment that you're working in, David. I suspect that contributes to your perception that the the Lyric sounds muddy. In any event, your solution with the blended signals seems to work well for that situation. You can certainly get more focused and less ambient sounding lows from a mag pickup than from a mic inside a guitar.

On the subject of the Anthem SL system (which was mentioned in a comment about your video), I've had my own issues with the low mids from my Anthem SL-equipped cedar-topped OM. That guitar is naturally strong in the low mids, so I'm using a graphic equalizer to cut 5db at 200Hz and 4db at 400Hz. Before I started doing that, my amplified sound drew comments like "your guitar sounds like a classical" or simply "your guitar sounds too bassy". My guitar sound has only drawn positive comments since I started using the graphic EQ with the Anthem SL.
That's interesting. My Larrivee has a cedar top as well (Mahogany back and sides). I play through a small mixer into powered speakers and EQ a small amount the bass and mids out as well. I haven't noticed that it was particularly bassy sounding, but supposedly the cedar (sourced from outside the U.S.) Larrivee used on this particular model isn't as soft as American Cedar. What EQ (brand) do you use?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That's interesting. My Larrivee has a cedar top as well (Mahogany back and sides). I play through a small mixer into powered speakers and EQ a small amount the bass and mids out as well. I haven't noticed that it was particularly bassy sounding, but supposedly the cedar (sourced from outside the U.S.) Larrivee used on this particular model isn't as soft as American Cedar. What EQ (brand) do you use?
A plain old Boss GE-7. It also comes in handy for dealing with internal mics.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
A plain old Boss GE-7. It also comes in handy for dealing with internal mics.
I might try a Behringer. It's cheaper and from what I've read does the job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification