The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
This brings up an important question, though. The D-tar Solstice appears to be the best preamp (at least in terms of features/ease of use). But as I understand it, the D-tar supplies +15V phantom power, while the Raven and the Quantum each supply +9V.

The Trinity condenser mic is supposed to get +9V. But sourcefource says his is working great with +15V.

How much difference does the phantom power voltage make? I want to do something similar, but I haven't gotten a preamp yet, so this is of great interest to me.
Hi NF…
I've been running my 4 guitars with dual source K&K mics (plus Pure Mini) with a Raven (+9 volt phantom) and Solstice (+15 volt phantom) for more than 10 years now.

I even ran my K&K Dual Source rigs with a Headway EDB-1 preamp for a year which supplied +18 volt phantom. I powered the K&K internal mics with a custom wired cable from the XLR connector not the line in connector.

They worked the same with all the preamps, and sounded great no matter which preamp I plugged them into. The engineer who wired the custom cable for me said he suspects they will work at a much higher voltage without issue.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-02-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: added a stat & sentence
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 PM

That's good to hear. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Can you explain how the Solstice can work with the Trinity system if there are no stereo inputs on the Solstice? How can it split the stereo signal of the Trinity system that inputs into a pre amp with just 1 stereo cord?
The first input on the Solstice is a stereo jack that splits the signal between the two channels. You could also buy a stereo Y adaptor for your stereo cord, that splits the inputs and plug each one into the two different channels.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 01-03-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The first input on the Solstice is a stereo jack that splits the signal between the two channels. You could also buy a stereo Y adaptor for your stereo cord, that splits the inputs and plug each one into the two different channels.
Thanks for that info. I was trying to wrap my head around how the Solstice would be able to split a signal coming in from only 1 input. Seems like one well designed piece of kit. Too bad they are discontinued and rare as hen's teeth now. Still waiting to hear from someone on the Seymour Duncan forum as to when the new models will be available.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Dn…

Both ¼" jacks on the front of the DTAR Solstice are TRS (stereo).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know where to buy a D-Tar Solstice preamp at this stage? I'd figure there'd be some internet retailer with a NOS unit still hanging around since it sounds like sometime in April is when they discontinued these. I need one sooner than later and I'll be ****ed if I have to buy that crappy looking K&K Quantum pre-amp.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dn…

Both ¼" jacks on the front of the DTAR Solstice are TRS (stereo).

Do both jacks have phantom power? Yikes mines at church maybe theirs a button?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Does anyone know where to buy a D-Tar Solstice preamp at this stage? I'd figure there'd be some internet retailer with a NOS unit still hanging around since it sounds like sometime in April is when they discontinued these. I need one sooner than later and I'll be ****ed if I have to buy that crappy looking K&K Quantum pre-amp.
Dealers are out of stock since the DTAR Solstice was discontinued last year. No news about the promised replacement from the current owner of the product design. They do show up used often enough here, on eBay and elsewhere. Dunno about long term servicing though.

It's a rather nice unit and certainly worth the price new or used.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do both jacks have phantom power? Yikes mines at church maybe theirs a button?
Yes…and yes there is a button on each channel…look next to the 20db pad button to the side of the volume button.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Dealers are out of stock since the DTAR Solstice was discontinued last year. No news about the promised replacement from the current owner of the product design. They do show up used often enough here, on eBay and elsewhere. Dunno about long term servicing though.

It's a rather nice unit and certainly worth the price new or used.
I just got a basically brand new one rarely used for about $205 shipped. So probably next week I'll have it in my hands as it's coming from Canada. I want to thank the forum for having the info here to decide this is a great amp to go in the direction of a dual mic/pickup setup I never knew I'd be persuing until this forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification