The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Adding reverb?

I use a Fishman mini loud box and am very pleased with it except for a couple things. I would really like more reverb from time to time, especially when using an external mic.

Also wonder how I can run another guitar through it, if I had another player over, can I perhaps get the adapt to plug a 1 1/4 into the plug for the mic? Can someone tell me what it would take to address these situations?

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I use a Fishman mini loud box and am very pleased with it except for a couple things. I would really like more reverb from time to time, especially when using an external mic.

Also wonder how I can run another guitar through it, if I had another player over, can I perhaps get the adapt to plug a 1 1/4 into the plug for the mic? Can someone tell me what it would take to address these situations?
There are several different ways of doing this, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, what sort of mics or pickups you have in your guitar or guitars, and what you mean exactly by "more reverb."

To use the little amp as a little PA for more signals than it's designed to handle on its own, you need a small mixer.

To add more reverb than the effects engine in the amp can give you, you need a reverb unit that does more than the one you have (which is deliberately modest, given that most people who play acoustic guitar are just looking for a little enhancement, a sense of acoustic space in a dry room).

There are plenty of small mixers out there that will give you extra inputs, turning your amp into a little PA speaker. Many will also accommodate signals from guitar pickups as well as mics (if you use a pickup). Many of these also have onboard effects that might fit the bill for you. Or you can invest in rack style effects units that can be put through whatever mixer you buy. If you are using a pick up in your guitar, there are also pedals to consider. And there are effects units that work with mics as well, although these are usually designed for vocals. And there are ways to route a mic signal through the kind designed to work with pickups, too.

In other words this is a more complicated matter than maybe you thought! Tell us more about your equipment and what you want to do and maybe we can make some more specific recommendations.

Louis
Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM

Not planning on playing any Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon stuff , Just wanting to add a larger auditorium echo sound if you will, especially for the mic voice. I have a K&K pure mini and Trinity mic in the Martin and I love what the Fishman does with the reverb but as said looking to up the reverb in an inexpensive fashion if I can.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Mackie 804..........that should cover all
Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 PM

How much do you have to spend?

Louis
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Mackie 804..........that should cover all
Can't find it, do you have a link?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
How much do you have to spend?

Louis
Well it depends on what it can do, but honestly I would not like to spend more than 100.00. It is something I would like, but not a necessity for me to have.

Can you tell me what to ask for when I am looking, because nothing I have read so far even talks about reverb, that may be, because I don't know how to ask, kind of ignorant of this sort of things.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well it depends on what it can do, but honestly I would not like to spend more than 100.00. It is something I would like, but not a necessity for me to have.

Can you tell me what to ask for when I am looking, because nothing I have read so far even talks about reverb, that may be, because I don't know how to ask, kind of ignorant of this sort of things.
For $100 or less there are several small mixers you could get used. Mackie, Yamaha, Alto, Behringer, etc. all make them.

What you want to search for is a small passive mixer with effects. A Mackie ProFX8, for example, should run you about that in decent shape, maybe a bit more:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mac...r-111731195.gc

This mixer has a high Z input, which is useful for short cable runs from a passive pickup and it has 4 mic inputs, plus effects. You'd just go direct from the left main output into the 1/4" aux input on the back of the Mini.

There are cheaper options and smaller ones, too.

If I had to recommend something, I'd suggest stretching a little on price and finding a used Allen and Heath ZED10FX. Here's one used at Guitar Center for $199, but I bet you could find one cheaper:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/All...r-111704107.gc

2 high Z inputs, sweepable mid EQ on all 4 channels, great effects. Very well-made. Works as a good stereo computer interface, too.

Louis
Old 01-03-2016, 12:51 PM

When I gig I use a 2006 Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP amp, mainly because of its superior vocal channel.

However, I also have in my stash a Fishman Loudbox Mini and a Loudbox Performer. Regardless of which amp I'm using, this is a pic of my pedal effects:

Second from the left is my BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. It's the single greatest pedal ever made, IMO, and will give you anything you want if you just take the time to learn how to use it. The BOSS BCB-6 carrying case makes setting up and tearing down a breeze.

The BOSS RV-3 is out of production, but they can be found used on eBay for around $120 and are worth every penny. Since they are made by Roland, they are bulletproof.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Can't find it, do you have a link?
I can't find an "804," either. I think on Mackie model numbers, the number to the left of the zero is the number of input channels, and the number to the right is how many outputs it has. Units with "04" model numbers don't show up until the 16- or 24- range, i.e. 1604-VLZ#. The VLZ4 is their latest series, and the smallest mixer is the 402. http://mackie.com/products/vlz4-series

I bought a used 1202-VLZ3 last year. Twelve channels is probably more than I need, but "allows room for expansion." It doesn't have any built-in effects like some mixers do, but I have goodly collection of guitar and vocal effect boxes available.
For vocal reverb, I have both a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and a (Helicon) R1 Reverb. (From their VoiceTone Singles series.) Besides reverb and echo, the Mic Mechanic also has pitch correction and Adaptive Tone™, for EQ, compression, de-essing and gating.

If you only want to play two guitars into the Loudbox Mini, with no mic'ed vocals, then a passive DI box (basically just a "fancy transformer") into the XLR input on the Loudbox might be the cheapest way to go. There's good info here from Doug Young and others. All that stuff about impedance, etc., can be confusing, but they can help simplify it.

You could also encourage the other player to bring his/her own amp, DI, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification