The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Guest 2143

Default Simple question about PA stereo input

Please forgive my ignorance. I have a Fender PD-150 and was wondering if I could plug a microphone (with Hi-Z adapter) into the 1/4" stereo input without doing any damage? The manual says that the sensitivity for this input is suitable for CD players/other payback devices and instruments such as keyboards. I realize that a Microphone might not sound great through it, but is it safe? Will it possibly hurt the system? There is a switch that allows me to switch the input to mono. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM

You won't hurt the system or the mic, but you probably won't hear anything through the mic either. You stereo input is some kind of line level, probably -10db consumer level. Even with a high-Z adapter most mics don't have enough output to work with a line level input.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
You won't hurt the system or the mic, but you probably won't hear anything through the mic either. You stereo input is some kind of line level, probably -10db consumer level. Even with a high-Z adapter most mics don't have enough output to work with a line level input.

Fran
Thanks for the response. I assumed it might not sound very good, but wanted to try it. I'll see what happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification