The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Should I buy it?
Pass on it 16 94.12%
Good deal 1 5.88%
Great deal 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Purchase advice on Gibson Doves in Flight-please help

Hey all,
I've been able to pin down a 2007 gibson doves in flight for $3250 with no tax. The issues reported are some scratches on the clear coat on the back, and the gold tuners beginning to fade on the edges. Other then that, I was told that it has no scratches, dents, or chips. I've attached some pics. I also noticed that the center strip of maple on the back of the neck appears to be much darker in the top half almost flameless or two pieces. I had never seen this done before on a DIF, and I figure that something must have gone wrong with the single piece during manufacturing. Should such an expensive guitar have a consistent flame throughout? Sometimes I wonder if i'm nit picking. Anyway, I'm planning to make the purchase later tonight and I have a 30 day window to return. I was told the guitar had never had to be repaired. Please provide advice on whether this is a good deal or if I should hold out for a diff DIF. Also-does it look like the scratches can be buffed out? So, basically is this a good deal for a DIF or should I hold out for on in better condition. Here's a link to some of the pics-sorry I couldn't get them to post in the thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8545932...7627895470553/

Thanks in advance-I appreciate any help that I can get,

JP
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Followed your other thread on this, seems to me you feel the price is high given the concerns about the scratches, I'd say pass, if the scratches don't buff out as flawlessly as you would hope for their obviously going to be a detractor for you and you clearly feel you can get one in less played-in shape for nigh on the same money. If this is true then I think that although this model is the guitar your after, it's not the one you're after...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Seems awfully pricey for a guitar with really significant scratches. It would bother me on such a work of art.

Id say ... pass.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies,
I emailed a luthier in the area with the pics to see what can be done about the scratches. That will impact my decision. If anyone has experience in regards to whether scratches like this can be easily buffed out, please comment.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM

It seems like a pretty good price compared to new models but in my mind, anyone who can spend this much on a guitar should be 100% happy. If you're not 100% happy, increase your budget or wait for a better opportunity.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzz View Post
Thanks for the replies,
I emailed a luthier in the area with the pics to see what can be done about the scratches. That will impact my decision. If anyone has experience in regards to whether scratches like this can be easily buffed out, please comment.
Those scratches will stay, no doubt. If you're the kind of player who will scratch it anyway, they don't look that bad. But if you're really anal like me, pass. You will find other opportunities to spend your money.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Those scratches will stay, no doubt. If you're the kind of player who will scratch it anyway, they don't look that bad. But if you're really anal like me, pass. You will find other opportunities to spend your money.
Why do you think they'd stay, it appears to be only the clear coat and not the wood. Yes, I am someone who is anal, so if they don't buff out then It's going back. I don't play outside of my home, so I take good care of my guitars. I deff want the doves in flight or maybe the hummingbird custom koa, I just wonder how long i would have to wait for another. This DIF is from a GC so at least I have the assurance of the return, a year warranty, and 1 year interest free if I decide to finance. Not an easy decision...
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Why do you think they'd stay, it appears to be only the clear coat and not the wood. Yes, I am someone who is anal, so if they don't buff out then It's going back. I don't play outside of my home, so I take good care of my guitars. I deff want the doves in flight or maybe the hummingbird custom koa, I just wonder how long i would have to wait for another. This DIF is from a GC so at least I have the assurance of the return, a year warranty, and 1 year interest free if I decide to finance. Not an easy decision...
You could probably get it refinished but a buff won't make them disappear.

I own a half dozen Gibsons and I've scratched plenty of guitars. A scratch that's such visible on that picture won't go away.

Joe Player would buy but Joe Collector would pass. In my world, if I pay that much money, both Joes need to be satisfied.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears they are quite deep. Either a lot of finish on the back will have to be sanded off, or the scratches will have to be drop filled (or both). Chances are you will always see some remnants of them. If you care about scratches don't buy this guitar. I didn't see the price because it doesn't matter.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I bought one of these same exact guitars minty condition for $1500 at GC used a few years back. I knew it was a smokin buy. I had a really hard time with the 1 5/8" nut width and I sold it quick for not much more than what I paid for it. Hard to sell for under $2k. Very pretty guitar though, beautiful inlays.

I think the Gibson Doves are made for women or something the nut width is almost unmanagable.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM

ok, I was sent more pics for those interested. I should also be receiving more pics of the scratches. Thanks for all those who posted, i'm really torn at the moment, since I don't see too many of these up for sale. I have a luthier telling me that he can spray nitrous and has worked with gibson and should be able to get the scratches out. Superiorguitar in philadelphia, in case anyway has ever heard. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8545932...7627895470553/
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM

I would think the neck width would be 1.725 not 1 5/8 or 1.625?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Ok,
So after some thought and talking with a luthier, I think i'm going to pass on this one. There are too many questions and concerns, and it would cost me about $250 to have it repaired and relaquered by him. I want to purchase this and have no doubts or worries, so i'm gonna hold out for one in better condition. Thanks for all the advice. Very appreciative!

JP
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Dude, if you had played the thing and it was the bomb, then yes I'd be torn. But you haven't even played it and there's a real chance it may not be that great.

Anyone who purchases a Gibson Doves in Flight would do so because of the looks or else they'd buy a base model.

Anyway, it's your choice... $3K is a lot of dough. It's probably not what you're looking for but you could grab a brand new Dove for less than that...

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-montana/dove-2/
Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Ok,
So after some thought and talking with a luthier, I think i'm going to pass on this one. There are too many questions and concerns, and it would cost me about $250 to have it repaired and relaquered by him. I want to purchase this and have no doubts or worries, so i'm gonna hold out for one in better condition. Thanks for all the advice. Very appreciative!

JP
Seeing how your have decided to pass - if you are interesed I have a 1984 Gibson Dove - 90th Anniversary special issue that I have been thinking about selling. It is in mint condition - no scratches - nothing. PM me if interested.
Collings OM2H Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion