The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Is it just the guys calling their guitar 'She' or do female players also call them 'She' instead of 'He?’
The women who don’t call their guitars “it” do tend to refer to them as “she,” at least that I’ve heard. I’ve never done any in-depth research on this, though.

While the speculation on language and gender assignment is fun, I suspect the main reason acoustic guitars typically get referred to as “she” and given female names if named is simply because of their shape - not many guys have a shape where they’ve got an upper and a lower bout. Whereas women do, so to speak...

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM

You are not alone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I refer to my guitars as "it" and I don't have any pet names for them.
I guess I'm out of it.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM

me neither mine are referred to as my martin
or my taylor etc.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
On airplanes it is now considered bad PC to use the term "cockpit" to describe the flight compartment these days even though the term cockpit has been used on aircraft for almost 100 years.. Now your expected to use the term "flight deck" which is actually an incorrect term. That is because almost all aircraft don't have a separate deck for the cockpit. On most aircraft a compartment on the forward end of the main deck is usually were the flight crew reside.
Cockpit was a nautical term long before it was an aeronautical term. It referred to a pit on the vessel where the ship was steered. In military aviation, only fighters and trainers have cockpits. Transports, bombers and larger special mission aircraft have flight decks.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
arf arf ....... Love it! (from GOT folks)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
While the speculation on language and gender assignment is fun, I suspect the main reason acoustic guitars typically get referred to as “she” and given female names if named is simply because of their shape
I like big bouts and I cannot lie...

OK, that was totally uncalled for...Sorry.
Sorry.

And for me, it only applies to guitars anyway. I like dreads.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
Cockpit was a nautical term long before it was an aeronautical term. It referred to a pit on the vessel where the ship was steered. In military aviation, only fighters and trainers have cockpits. Transports, bombers and larger special mission aircraft have flight decks.
You might want to inform the FAA about that. They still use the term cockpit when referring to the Flight Compartment of a large aircraft. The term "Flight Deck" is incorrect because it implies that there is a separate deck for the flight station or flight compartment.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
But the rotating beacon would have still come one and the engines would have turned if you said Roger Flight Deck as well.
True, but then I would be using a term that is technically incorrect. Implying that there is a separate deck for the flight compartment reminds me of a time when an engineer was out in the Flight Test hanger and looking for the stairs for the second floor.

Great plan except that the Flight Test hanger does not have a second floor...................

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion