The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
The following specs are from Emerald's website,
maybe it'll help in comparing the size of the X7 & X20 to other guitars.

Thanks for putting that together for me. Sure appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Well... that sure helps my decision process! ;-)

If you could have only ONE, and the size for traveling wasn't an important selection criterion, which would you keep?
You made it this far in the thread and still think I'm going to pick? Just kidding. It really comes down to what you want in a guitar... back to the Taylor analogy: GSmini or 814ce? Well, I think all of us would pick the 814 because it does so much so well. I have both, and the Mini traveled with us most often (prior to discovering what CF brings).

Same with the X7 and X20 - both are great guitars, but the X20 does so much so well. So, if it came down to really only having one, it would probably be the X20. Now, when anyone tells you that is their "unbiased" opinion, understand that we all bring biases into the decisions. In my particular case, my X20 is a wood veneer Select Series beauty that really is unique, the X7 is an Opus, beautiful in the functional, flawless design. So, I'm sure I am also swayed by the looks.

You being a coach kinda guy might appreciate it this way: which is more desirable: a diesel pusher coach with full striking body paint... or a sleek black Porsche Cayman? Of course, the proper answer is... both!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Since leaving Acadia National Park, we moved on to Kennebunkport, Cape Cod, Hershey, PA, and are now in the Washington D.C. area. We went from chilly (needing to run heat in Maine) to blazing hot and humid here in the DC area (well, pounding rain/thunderstorm right now).

I posted this image on another thread regarding playing in the sunshine...

It was around 87º with high humidity at the time of that photo. The X7 sang out happily.

Nothing to do with the guitar, but while we were in Plymouth, MA (yeah, the one with "the rock" and the Pilgrims), we did a whale watch trip...

I have missed seeing these marine mammals on a daily basis this summer... but, if not for the traveling, I would not have been able to get "a custom." No, not another guitar, I got to design my own candy bar at the Hershey Chocolate World...

Yeah, it's a new look I'm cultivating.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Guest 928

So, captain, are you cooking those whales? The sequence of pictures leave me wondering, Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Excuse my Latin.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
So, captain, are you cooking those whales? The sequence of pictures leave me wondering, Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Excuse my Latin.
No, Even, that was me geared up for making a chocolate bar. I didn't hoc nuthin'.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Hey Jim, you're just up the road from us. The family has a campsite at Westmoreland SP tonight until Sunday, on the Potomac river. Stop by and join us us ... for tall stories, cold ones and a CF jam. I'll PM you my cell.

No whales here - they moved on a few million years ago - but we find their chewed bones and the occasional Megaladon shark tooth there.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 AM

Hmm… Evan writes a post containing the phrase "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc". And two posts later, the author is named Res Ipsa. It seems that carbon fiber guitars are somehow particularly attractive to Latin scholars!

(BTW, Evan, I'm no Latin scholar, but to me, "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" sounds perilously close to correlation implying causation, to which I say "humbug, sir, humbug!")

Old 08-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Quando omni flunkus, moritati.....
Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.....
Had to look it up, and woohoo… a Canadian comedy I'd never heard of before… and it's all on YouTube!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Yes, the "Red Green Show". Loosely translated the pseudo-Latin means, "When all else fails, play dead'" and is the official motto of the Possum Lodge.

We used to live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Yoopers, eh?) north of most of Canada's population. Then we moved to Alaska, north of almost ALL of Canada's population. So we have an affinity for Canadian shows and oddball humor.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You made it this far in the thread and still think I'm going to pick? Just kidding. It really comes down to what you want in a guitar... back to the Taylor analogy: GSmini or 814ce? Well, I think all of us would pick the 814 because it does so much so well. I have both, and the Mini traveled with us most often (prior to discovering what CF brings).

Same with the X7 and X20 - both are great guitars, but the X20 does so much so well. So, if it came down to really only having one, it would probably be the X20. Now, when anyone tells you that is their "unbiased" opinion, understand that we all bring biases into the decisions. In my particular case, my X20 is a wood veneer Select Series beauty that really is unique, the X7 is an Opus, beautiful in the functional, flawless design. So, I'm sure I am also swayed by the looks.

You being a coach kinda guy might appreciate it this way: which is more desirable: a diesel pusher coach with full striking body paint... or a sleek black Porsche Cayman? Of course, the proper answer is... both!
Jim... in recent years, I've found myself appreciating the OM size acoustics more than the big boys. After playing kramster's X20 yesterday, I think I would lean toward the X7, or an X10 (if that's an in-between size.) I now certainly understand why you would find the X7 to be so great for traveling - it's just such a comfortable and handy size to play. Your X20 is drop dead gorgeous, but I can see myself ultimately ordering an X7 Artisan in red, green, or amber. 121's amber X7 looks awesome!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim... in recent years, I've found myself appreciating the OM size acoustics more than the big boys. After playing kramster's X20 yesterday, I think I would lean toward the X7, or an X10 (if that's an in-between size.) I now certainly understand why you would find the X7 to be so great for traveling - it's just such a comfortable and handy size to play. Your X20 is drop dead gorgeous, but I can see myself ultimately ordering an X7 Artisan in red, green, or amber. 121's amber X7 looks awesome!
Hi, DHart - nice that you had the opportunity to try some different CF sizes and options! Each size and style has its best purpose, and you have to decide what works best for you. I've enjoyed your journey of discovery. Good luck with narrowing it down to "the one." Until you decide to add "another one."
Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi, DHart - nice that you had the opportunity to try some different CF sizes and options! Each size and style has its best purpose, and you have to decide what works best for you. I've enjoyed your journey of discovery. Good luck with narrowing it down to "the one." Until you decide to add "another one."
One look at my electric guitar collection indicates that there is never just "the one".

I'm still enthralled with the tones and playability of my Martin OM28V and Eastman E10 OO-M solid flame mahogany. They are fantastic instruments and won't be going away.

But the addition of a CF (probably about the size of an OM or X10) will give me an instrument that won't have to be kept in my climate-controlled walk-in guitar closet, can be taken outside regardless of temp/humidity differences, and can travel in the coach without any concerns for weather changes. THAT will be nice to have! My hunch is that the CF guitar wil probably be the RainSong H-OM1000R2 or, if Alistair will make one, an X10 Artisan with a (green or red) top.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

After a week in the Washington DC area, we have moved on to a more rural setting in the Shenandoah Valley.

DC was a lot of fun - after days filled with subways, memorials and museums, it was nice to come back to the motorhome and relax... and some guitar out under the awning.

Our RV site currently...

Guitar time...

And our furry family member...

Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
but I can see myself ultimately ordering an X7 Artisan in red, green, or amber. 121's amber X7 looks awesome!
If volume and big projection are not a priority, the little Emeralds are the best guitars for any occasions. They are so comfortable and the size is so appealing that you want to reach out to them anytime. Hope you get your very own X7 soon!

Capt: great seeing you enjoying your trip, and passing time with the X7.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber