The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-20-2015, 10:23 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Jackson Cunningham L5

Hubba hubba:

http://guitars.com/inventory/ar4461-new-cunningham-l-5
Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 PM

What a beauty!!! Love the look, that transparent sunburst, great flamed back!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Stunning!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Jackson Cunningham L5

http://guitars.com/inventory/ar4461-new-cunningham-l-5

Thoughts?

Pros
1 3/4 nut
Vintage vibe
Beautiful work/woods

Cons
No pickup
No cutaway
Haven't played it
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM

If you think no cutaway and no pickup are cons, on a 20's style 16" L-5 lookalike, then you might not be the right person for this guitar.

I've been playing archtops forever and my take is different:

Pros:
Its a really beautiful 16" L-5 lookalike, with all that implies about tone and feel

Cons:
It's not cheap and I don't know the builder
I haven't played it.

Most people kind of work their way up to guitars like this one. Owners of luthier built carved top guitars usually have experience with a range of Gibson and Epi models from the 30's' through the 50's. They have a vocabulary that describes the differences and strengths of the models (bark, balance, attack, projection, cut, tone bars, x-braced, etc.). They usually have actually owned and played archtops for quite a while.

There's not enough info on the Gruhn website for me to form much of an opinion. The luthier's Facebook page has some shots and videos, but still not enough.

Looking forward to hearing more about the builder and the guitar.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 12-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks very much for your take! Exactly the sort of opinion I was looking for. I think you're right in that this guitar might not be for me due to those features, but I'm very interested in him as a luthier due to the apparent quality of work.

I will probably go with a Venetian cutaway with floating pickup of some variety, hoping to get some versatility that I wouldn't otherwise have.

Last edited by CoolerKing; 12-27-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Matthew,

You have received some excellent advice here. Go play some guitars at both Larry's and Rudy's when you visit NYC in March. You really need to understand what you like (and don't like) first. Play some vintage instruments, some modern factory and luthier guitars and begin to form a vocabulary of preferences (just as you have with flat tops).

Regarding the guitar in question, it might be fabulous or only ok. It is difficult to know about the predictability in outcome with a new builder (as you well know). It looks as if it is well executed and I imagine that Gruhn has an evaluation policy. Depending on what you play, the lack of cutaway, may or may not matter.

My $.02
Old 12-28-2015, 08:30 AM

+++ Archtopguy!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Matthew,

You have received some excellent advice here. Go play some guitars at both Larry's and Rudy's when you visit NYC in March. You really need to understand what you like (and don't like) first. Play some vintage instruments, some modern factory and luthier guitars and begin to form a vocabulary of preferences (just as you have with flat tops).

Regarding the guitar in question, it might be fabulous or only ok. It is difficult to know about the predictability in outcome with a new builder (as you well know). It looks as if it is well executed and I imagine that Gruhn has an evaluation policy. Depending on what you play, the lack of cutaway, may or may not matter.

My $.02
Good advice. Hopefully Larry will let me play his stash and I can get an idea.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:29 PM

This seems expensive for a relatively unknown builder. As archtops tend to depreciate a lot (perhaps more than any other class of guitar?), I would not buy a new one unless (a) I was intent on commissioning one to suit some very specific needs or desires, or (b) it stood out in a way that I wouldn't expect to find something that suited me better. One can often find amazing used archtops by the top luthiers for half the price of this one.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Agree Cogito!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
This seems expensive for a relatively unknown builder. As archtops tend to depreciate a lot (perhaps more than any other class of guitar?), I would not buy a new one unless (a) I was intent on commissioning one to suit some very specific needs or desires, or (b) it stood out in a way that I wouldn't expect to find something that suited me better. One can often find amazing used archtops by the top luthiers for half the price of this one.
Yes, I see your point. It's probably not for me because of the no pickup, no cutaway thing, but it's still a beautiful guitar nonetheless!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 PM

That`s a lot of money for a new builder..
Old 01-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
That`s a lot of money for a new builder..

When Bill Collings started out, his instruments were not cheap either. I suppose luthiers charge what they think their workmanship is worth. And who are we to argue? I guess the best way to decide is to actually touch, feel, and play the instrument ourselves.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Looks like Jackson Cunningham is a successful and known fiddle maker, and comes from a part of the world where Maybelle's L-5 is well known, so I think that give him some advantages.

I'm really hoping that one of our Nashville members stops in to to Gruhn's and checks it out for us.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops