The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Grover Sta-Tite tuners:vintage original vs. new

I've recently acquired a 1933 Gibson L-7 that has some issues with it's 82 year old original Grover tuners. My question is does anybody know if the modern Grover Sta-Tite tuners will fit a guitar that was outfitted with 82 year old version of these tuners? As you can imagine, I'm looking for zero drilling or modification to accommodate replacement tuners...that includes the bushings, etc. The old ones are missing two of the original bushings on the D and G string. So, the post has way to much play in it's peg shaft channel.

Any wisdom from anyone that knows first hand about this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM

Since no one appears to have the definitive answer you want, here's a drawing of the current production Sta-Tites (w/18:1 ratio), courtesy of Stewmac.com

Here's a link to all the info on these tuners:
http://www.stewmac.com/product/image...nd3_Tuners.jpg
Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 AM

Dischord, thanks for the diagram. I have seen this, but I'm sure if I measure it it would be really close, but, invariably, something would have to be reamed out ever so slightly. I was hoping to hear someone say that they are spot-on repros regarding fit. I contacted Groto and this is their reply: "We bought the company in the early 50’s. I’m sure it has changed since we redo our molds occasionally. Everything we do presently is metric." I had previously contacted StewMac and this was their reply: "Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately we can't cross reference the specs on those old tuners. You will have to take some measurements on the machines and compare them with the specs that we list on our website for all of our tuning machines."
Somehow, I was looking for something like, "we made these as exact reproductions to replace old, vintage tuners"........and, "we deal with owners of vintage Martin and Gibson guitars all the time and these tuners are an exact fit". With StewMac, I think of Dan Erlewine. I must have gotten the Death Metal guy. Boy, was I naive.
I was hoping that someone here would have had first hand experience with this. Thanks so much. I'll see if what I have can be refurbed somehow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops