The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 AM

Before you give up on that HD-28 try a set of medium strings on it. I did that on mine and got a reaction similar to what you stated you are looking for.

1986 Guild D-212 2000 Guild D-55 2007 Martin HD-28 2015 Martin D-18
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 AM

I hear your disappointment with both the guitar and the responses you got after posting for answers on a worldwide bulletin board. However, before selling a new-to-you guitar, especially that model, I would remove the saddle and nut for inspection to make sure no one has shimmed them or make sure they are properly seated and making full contact with the body/neck. Then I would have it inspected to make sure that it is perfectly set up and ready to play - to include properly humidified prior to set up.

What you describe could be from several issues to include; improperly humidified, bad nut and or saddle, improperly shimmed, none of which would be "the guitar". Then, possibly, do what I do when sampling guitars - have a 12-bar (or similar) riff/chord series that you run through a few times on a guitar to get a feel for the neck and the guitar's resonance. Listen for the tone/timbre that you prefer as you are doing this and if ANYTHING isn't right, walk away. There is no one guitar that will appear or disappear if you keep at it on a guitar you don't really like. What actually will happen is that after minutes or hours of "familiarity" with an instrument you've told yourself you should like, you begin to like it for a short while. Then, a week or month later, in another room or location you realize you don't really like the instrument. In short, test it briefly and love it or leave it. Spend your hard-earned money wisely on keepers. Good luck with your new Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion