The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 PM

A real looker! I bet it sounds sweet too. Love my Eastman 12 string. Congrats!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Very nice! Happy NGD, have fun with it!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Thanks so much!

The way it is currently set up there is a huge range of volume and dynamics that can be achieved, but if I get too frisky I can hit it hard enough (especially when trying to make bass runs pop) to have the string resonance catch a higher fret and give that metallic buzz.

One part of me says I need to simply be more delicate and know the upper limit, which is plenty loud, or raise the action a bit and take this thing to “11”. I’m going to give it at least a week or two before making any changes though.
Hi Ten. You could always get your saddle replicated but with a tad more height so you could have an extra. One for the more 'frisky' times; another for easy-picking times. (Or, for the different seasonal changes.) You may find that the adjustment needed to play a bit 'friskier' is sufficiently small that a tweak of the truss rod (counter-clockwise to loosen; clockwise to tighten) will do. Won't hurt to try a 1/8 to 1/4-turn counter-clockwise tweak. It may get you exactly where you want to go without shimming or replacing the saddle. While the neck adjustment should not be used solely for permanent 'action' changes, it will affect the action in tiny increments. Unless your truss rod is of poor quality, which is probably not true for an Eastman, or you use the wrong size tool or something, it won't hurt a thing. Probably good to turn it a bit from time to time anyway to keep it free. Since your guitar has already been set up to your (almost) liking, I assume your relief is already pretty close to 'correct', but you still have a small range of motion to play with and still remain 'correct'. ('Correct' for you may not be 'correct' for me.) And very small changes in relief can result in big changes in how your action feels TO YOU. Just takes practice and experience to find what YOU like.

I tend to get a bit 'frisky' myself at times and I've been tweaking my truss rods (both ways) for many years without trouble. Hate buzz! Just use the right tool and go easy with small incremental turns. If you find the turning requires a lot of force - STOP. You may need to loosen your strings a bit for the adjustment, depends on the guitar's particular hardware.

Of course, as you should with all internet 'expert' advice, take mine with a grain of salt. I may be an idiot! (But I am an experienced idiot.)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 PM

What StevenL said works for me. Tweak the truss rod a smidge.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Fantastic guitar! I played one against a few boutique builds and it more than held it's own.....Looks pretty spectacular to me,btw.
Enjoy it
Old 02-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
The way it is currently set up there is a huge range of volume and dynamics that can be achieved, but if I get too frisky I can hit it hard enough (especially when trying to make bass runs pop) to have the string resonance catch a higher fret and give that metallic buzz.
Buzz is a tone killer. Have the action raised a bit. You're one of them aggressive types <grin>.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-16-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

What are you talking about? Your E10D is beautiful!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Eastmans hold their own! Congrats!

Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Eastman does sunburst as well as anybody. I've had 2 E10P SBs, and both were gorgeous.

Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
e10d