The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
A few years ago my wife and I visited Schoodic Peninsula (Schoodic Point near Winter Harbor, ME) during February. It was light jacket weather (about 50 degrees) and very pretty and peaceful. The evergreen trees, rocky coast line with addition of snow on the ground added to it's picturesque beauty. We visit Schoodic Point every year.
Quoddy Head in Lubec, Maine is another picturesque area, if you don't mind the drive.
Maine is ruggedly beautiful. (I think Joan says the same about me... well, except for the "beautiful" part. I'm OK with "pretty," though.) We plan to extend our time here for a few days and have made reservations further south along the coast, after that. Schoodic has been my favorite part of Acadia, but biking on the carriage/bike trails is a close second...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/07...nd-acadia.html

Yeah, totally CF guitar off-topic, but I did play for a bit at the end of the day.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Jim, since you started this thread and take it off topic, I assume I can do it too? I enjoy the photos and info about Maine, it's on our list to visit this next year. Also, can you give me a web site or name of the bikes you are riding? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Cool trip! I've never been to Maine or that corner of the country. I grew up in the UP of Michigan and we lived in Alaska for many years, and now Idaho. We probably have the scenic destination thing covered, but I'm always open to exploration once retirement comes around. Right now I have to keep working to feed my CF guitar habit.

But as my wife puts it, I have very few vices so a collection of guitars is not a problem. She's a keeper for sure!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Jim, since you started this thread and take it off topic, I assume I can do it too? I enjoy the photos and info about Maine, it's on our list to visit this next year. Also, can you give me a web site or name of the bikes you are riding? Thanks!
Well, the thread kinda revolves around "wandering around," so feel free to do so.

The bikes are SSR Trail Vipers.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...trailviper.php

We bought ours from a motorcycle dealer (SSR is the importer) in Phoenix, Ride Now in Peoria. I had ridden one at a street fair in California, so we knew what we were looking for. The fat tires are good on trailers, sand, and gravel. The e-bike part of it can be pedal-assist or twist the throttle (like a scooter). We have not run into any bike paths or trails where they are not allowed.

Pretty heavy at 55 pounds, but the best part (for us): they are folders. We can carry both of them in the back of our Honda CR-V. About 30 seconds to unfold and be ready to ride... OK, it takes a bit longer than that to strap them down in the back of the CR-V, but still easy enough that we can be serendipitous about using them... see an interesting place to ride, park, and unload.

The manufacturer says the range is 25 miles - that will depend on how much pedal assist (allows you to go faster with the same pedal effort), terrain, and weight. I weigh a pound or fifty more than the Blonde - she gets better range. I ride more often than she does, so my battery has had more use. Typically, we see between 20 and 25 miles is pretty accurate. The bikes are 6 speed Shimano (gears) with 5 levels of pedal assist. Maximum speed is listed as 20 mph, I've had mine to 25 going downhill. On the level, with full pedal assist, I have seen 20 a couple of times, but it isn't pleasant. The bikes are comfortable; the seat post has about 1/8 of an inch of "suspension" (i.e. not much) but there is flex due to the fat tires. Disc brakes front and rear. Aluminum alloy frame (still a beast).

350w 36v electric motor in the rear hub. Newer e-bikes have 500w and 750w motors. About 4 hours for a full recharge.

We have been enjoying them; had them a year and a half now. No issues other than a broken brake lever, when one of us whose name I won't mention, but it was me, dropped the bike.

That should get you started.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Cool trip! I've never been to Maine or that corner of the country. I grew up in the UP of Michigan and we lived in Alaska for many years, and now Idaho. We probably have the scenic destination thing covered, but I'm always open to exploration once retirement comes around. Right now I have to keep working to feed my CF guitar habit.

But as my wife puts it, I have very few vices so a collection of guitars is not a problem. She's a keeper for sure!
Hey, Earl. We had never been to Maine previously. Pretty area. I always wanted to see Acadia National Park. We are enjoying our time here (just added a few extra days at the RV park so we can hit more of the bike trails). As pretty as it is, and boats galore, it really makes me appreciate what we have in the Tropical Tip. (warmth, less crowded, lunch out for about half the price, less crowded, warm water in the Gulf and the Laguna Madre, and... less crowded) Not ready to hurry home, but by mid-to-late September, I'll be heading that way.

Today was a planning day (well, and lunch out and some touristing around Bar Harbor), making plans for heading down the Maine coast, then Cape Cod. Then...

Before we retired, when there was something I wanted, Joan would say, "Why do you work?"

As we got closer to retiring, she started to say, "How long do you want to work?"

Now that we are re-retired, she says, "Do you want to go back to work?"

I am fortunate that she encourages guitar stuff.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim, very cool bikes.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, Earl. We had never been to Maine previously. Pretty area. I always wanted to see Acadia National Park. We are enjoying our time here (just added a few extra days at the RV park so we can hit more of the bike trails). As pretty as it is, and boats galore, it really makes me appreciate what we have in the Tropical Tip. (warmth, less crowded, lunch out for about half the price, less crowded, warm water in the Gulf and the Laguna Madre, and... less crowded) Not ready to hurry home, but by mid-to-late September, I'll be heading that way.
Jim,
We are planning to head up there when you leave, the population of Bar Harbor is down about 90% in mid September. Of course the weather is a bit cooler...
Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Jim,
We are planning to head up there when you leave, the population of Bar Harbor is down about 90% in mid September. Of course the weather is a bit cooler...
Should be beautiful with the fall colors by then. I would think the place would be packed with "peepers."
Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Well...Since Captain Jim gave us permission to "wander around", this brings me to my reminisce's of Bar Harbor Maine...
In the mid 80s My Search & Rescue Dog (and I) attended a wilderness and water rescue class there..."Moose" was enthralled with his first taste of saltwater and discovered that he could find people under water...(Divers for training)...
In his illustrious career he found many "lost souls" from 8 feet down to 97 feet down, (verified by Divers the next day, 20 feet from where we threw out the buoy)...all in freshwater...
I still remember my fascination with the "Fresnal Lens" in the only lighthouse that this landlubber has ever seen...sigh...
HEY!!! The good Captain said we could "wander around" didn't He??? LOL
Now back to Carbon Fiber Soulmates...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Guest 928

Fretting;

Are you saying that the captain is 90% of Bar Harbor's summer population? They must be counting his guitars.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fretting;

Are you saying that the captain is 90% of Bar Harbor's summer population? They must be counting his guitars.
No Evan, I didn't mean it to sound that way, I am definitely not an English major though. I think he just took 1 guitar this trip, so he may be a small portion of the population today. It really is amazing how much it fluctuates in the summer there though.
Back to CF guitars....
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Jim... I'm considering a CF guitar to be able to leave it sitting out around the house at home (and for travel in our motor coach). How would you compare the tone of the X7 vs the X20, and which would be a preferable guitar for finger style playing?

I recently bought this Eastman E10 OO-M flame solid-mahogany (as a travel guitar) from LA Guitar, while we are traveling in our coach (we're at The Vineyards on Grapevine Lake, TX right now) and it's no problem keeping it humidified while on the road. But it's not impervious to radical humidity changes (extremely low humidity is the real risk, but managed with a sound-hole humidifier.)

- but when back home in Scottsdale, it will need to be kept in the humidity-controlled guitar closet with all of my other guitars, when not being played.

Thus, my desire to have a CF guitar I can have out and about whenever, wherever. Just not sure about how I will like the tone (I may love it!)

Did you take your X7 simply because it is more compact than the X20? Which sounds better? I tend to prefer the OOO/OM/OO sized acoustics.

We have been wanderers in RVs for a good number of years. It's a wonderful way to travel - and still be in your own home every night! Especially good if you have pets. Colt & Kimber:

Last edited by DHart; 07-20-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

That is a stunning Eastman, but you are not allowed to post pictures of wood guitars in the CF forums. LOL Just kidding! It is a striking guitar, you ask a tough question, it will be interesting to see how the captain answers, I'm not a finger style player, but I play my X7 and X20 about 50/50. Both wonderful guitars, but different. To me the X7 has more of a fundamental tone, where as the X20 is more resonant, louder and fuller sounding. The sound just blooms out of that sound hole right into your face and the room. If I could have only one, it would be the X20. You may notice that there's several of us here that after we buy one, we usually add the other, no matter which one we purchase first. Good luck with your search.

I should add that I live in Payson, just up the hill from you....you are welcome to play my Emeralds.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
That is a stunning Eastman, but you are not allowed to post pictures of wood guitars in the CF forums. LOL Just kidding! It is a striking guitar, you ask a tough question, it will be interesting to see how the captain answers, I'm not a finger style player, but I play my X7 and X20 about 50/50. Both wonderful guitars, but different. To me the X7 has more of a fundamental tone, where as the X20 is more resonant, louder and fuller sounding. The sound just blooms out of that sound hole right into your face and the room. If I could have only one, it would be the X20. You may notice that there's several of us here that after we buy one, we usually add the other, no matter which one we purchase first. Good luck with your search.

I should add that I live in Payson, just up the hill from you....you are welcome to play my Emeralds.
Thanks, jd, for your thoughts. I've been mulling over purchase of a CF guitar for a couple of year and just haven't gotten a round tuit, as they say. I know very little about them, but I get the impression that the Emeralds have a good sound and good quality. The X20 would likely be how I would go. Is it about the size of a OO, or a OOO?

Payson... wonderful place to be, especially this time of year!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Dhart, if you don't connect with jdinco, be aware that the Sam Ash store in Glendale has always had at least two Rainsong CF guitars in stock every time I've been in there.

When I make the trip south to visit MIL in Sun City come October (once temperatures get back down to only ridiculous levels!) my Lucky 13 and possibly my WS-1000 will come along. Once I have the trip actually scheduled, I will post a thread here and maybe we can organize an Arizona Carbon Fest. I won't yet have my X20-12 by then or else it would come too.

And yes, that is a stunning figured mahogany Eastman!

PS: "Colt" and "Kimber" - I get the reference.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber