The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
My guitars are all out on stands. They all get played often and so there is much back and forth. I recently accidently whacked my Loar 700 archtop on the edge of the couch - there was a sickening crack and a two inch long cracked appeared in the side. Not severe enough to be structural, I don't think, but enough to be obviously visible. I swear it sounds better now.
You fitted an extra F hole! You should patent that!
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
You fitted an extra F hole! You should patent that!
Lol! Oh no, the archtop equivalent of the soundport debate!
Fortunately (relatively) it's more of a crack than a hole.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-19-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Lol! Oh no, the archtop equivalent of the soundport debate!
Fortunately (relatively) it's more of a crack than a hole.
Glad to hear it.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Default I feel your pain

Some years ago I bought a very nice, boutique built acoustic guitar. I'd leave it on a stand in our weekend house regardless of the humidity. I discovered a split in the top...it ran from the bottom all the way through the bridge and terminated at the sound hole.

I had a local luthier do what he could to repair the crack structurally (I can live with the cosmetic issues), but its still there. It killed the resale value of the instrument, so I decided then and there that this guitar was mine for life.

Funny thing is, that after finally figuring out how to care for these acoustic guitars (try keeping them in the case and humidifying them, you idiot)...this guitar has rewarded my loyalty by opening up and really turning into a wonderful instrument.

So, in spite of its warts, I love this guitar and will keep it around forever.
J.Robertson-SJ20-SE
70's Gibson ES-175 SB
90's Gibson ES-295
Grestch 6196T Country Club
Gretsch 6120 SSL
D'Angelico NYL-2 (Reissue)
Don Grosh Retro Classic Sunburst
G&L ASAT Classic
G&L S-500
Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 PM

And a final note for you, LouParte.

"It Could Happen to You", music by Jimmy van Heusen, and lyric by Johnny Burke.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Guitars with repaired cracks and breaks can sometimes end up being your favorite players. Few of us go through life without scars. If the guitar sounds as good as ever, that is what matters, right?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
My guitars are all out on stands. They all get played often and so there is much back and forth. I recently accidently whacked my Loar 700 archtop on the edge of the couch - there was a sickening crack and a two inch long cracked appeared in the side. Not severe enough to be structural, I don't think, but enough to be obviously visible. I swear it sounds better now.
Be careful if you have foam rubber-type material on those stands. I had that stuff damage the finish on a couple of my guitars.
Fortunately, my luthier could polish it out. Now I have cloth covering the foam rubber material.

Yeah sound-wise, archtop is good or better than before.And I still play it just as much.

Archtop Guy: Lovely version of that evergreen. Lovely guitars too.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 01-20-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I was practicing sitting on my bed, using some new pedals. This guitar sounds like a dream with a BBE and a bit of tremolo through a Roland AC60.

Anyway, I set my archtop aside for a moment and wham! It fell on its face on the floor. Surprisingly, only 3 small pock marks on the front where it landed. But the horror came when I looked at the back. A long crack had developed with a couple of shorter ones.

Front seemed ok, lovely as ever. (Sounds better than it looks too. Still does).

I had my luthier repair it in a fast turn-around. There were 3 cracks in back.
They were straight line, it seems like glue and some kind of wedge to fit them into place would be enough.

Anyway, here's how it looks now in harsh light. It's very smooth and flat to touch. Elevation has not changed. I record a lot with this guitar.
Broke my heart. I'll probably have some more sanding and polishing done in the future.

My name is on the headstock. So there is not much resale consideration. I can refinish the back without financial consequences.

It still sounds fantastic - acoustic or electric. So I consider myself lucky.
And I just might order a blond to accompany it. But it would be Maple - not Mahogany. Same dimensions otherwise.

Wow,

That is a beautiful archtop and I can't help feeling really badly for you over the cracks in the back. I know you got them fixed and it's going to be okay, but I can just image how you felt when you saw your guitar fall. Ugh...

- Glenn
Old 01-27-2016, 08:11 AM

Sad stories in this post. very sad indeed.

it's just like being in love, eventually someone is gonna break your heart.

same for our guitars, at some point, it's inevitable that something is gonna happen unless you lock it in a case and never use it (what's the point).

my #1 acoustic (a 2005 Taylor GS cedar/mahogany) was sitting on a stand in my studio.

a mic stand loaded with an SM58 wound up tipping over and the SM58 crashed into the top of my guitar right behind the bridge, then slid down the top creating a 6 inch scar that runs from the point of impact all the way to the bottom bout.

I just watched in slow motion horror, too far away and too late to do anything other than look in dismay.

I was able to buff out quite a bit of it, but some of the damage remains, and since due to the Taylor finish, the repair is huge dollars. (drop and fill would seal it but it would be as noticeable as the damage itself.)

So I had to learn to live with it. the guitar other wise, for being 11 years old, is pristine.

the thing that kills me is 1: the guitars are usually on wall hangers, and would not have been in the path of this mic stand, 2: I almost always have a wind screen on my mics (the foam covers). which would have minimized if not, prevented any real damage to the finish or top.

some days your the windshield, some days your the bug
Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

same for our guitars, at some point, it's inevitable that something is gonna happen unless you lock it in a case and never use it (what's the point)....
I disagree completely.

I think, it's always possible misfortune finds you but if you use caution, you stack the deck in your own favor.

It's no way "inevitable" that your guitars will get damaged.

I have many prized (and heavily used) hobby posessions that I've owned for over four decades. Some of these (such as my vintage airgun) I used an extensive amount. But, I was also a very caring owner and it is 100% original and in perfect working order with nothing other than wear - no damage.

The same with guitars. Yes of course bad luck can strike even if you are diligent, but my point is that damage is in no way "inevitable". Not at all.

In fact, I would make it analogous to my view of humidity issues. Without care I think you probably have a 90% chance of being fine. With diligent care, I think you have a 99% chance of being fine.

I think bad luck, falls, drops, impact, accidents can happen. If you don't use care you might have a 90% chance of being fine for the life of the guitar. If you use extra caution, I think you have a 99% chance of being fine for the life of the guitar.

Damage is not inevitable.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 AM

no man, really I've been at this close to 50 years, I've seen it all and had countless guitars, holding onto 20+ at the moment. battle scares will happen, the question is how bad will it be.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
That's a nice archtop. Glad you were able to get it repaired.
I know every time a lay a guitar down on a chair, a bed or on the floor a little voice in my head says "I don't think you want to do that"
I made it a ritual to always park my guitar in its hard case and close the lid on it even if I was going to the kitchen to fetch a drink or to the loo. I bought 2 wooden guitar stands that I thought I would use but have never had the cojones to use.

So far it has worked quite well. I have also told myself that no phone call is so important that it requires that I rush to pick it up, not with a guitar in my lap. Someone knocking on my door? He or she can wait till I have parked my guitar safely. And I am not going to rush.

With guitars out in the open, it is only a matter of time. And yeah, with the lid of the case open, stick a shoulder or elbow out, ready to stop it if it should fall just when you are putting the guitar back in the case. Helps not to lie guitar cases on soft uneven surfaces like your bed or couch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops