The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-08-2016, 11:16 AM

'53 L-5C

Kind of got stuck on the first one. I love L-5's, and I like Larry Wexer (bought a guitar from him, visited too), absolutely beautiful, seems kind of steep but OMG I bet it's awesome. Yeah, I'd kinda like to have a D'Angelico too, but that L-5 is worth living for.

You're throwing too much at me Matthew, I can't handle it!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM

They are all nice guitars,I am happy with my Campellone deluxe.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:08 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
'53 L-5C

Kind of got stuck on the first one. I love L-5's, and I like Larry Wexer (bought a guitar from him, visited too), absolutely beautiful, seems kind of steep but OMG I bet it's awesome. Yeah, I'd kinda like to have a D'Angelico too, but that L-5 is worth living for.

You're throwing too much at me Matthew, I can't handle it!
I like this one too, a little steep but other than the lack of pickup, these early to mid fifties features look like a great option for me.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM

It's hard to go wrong with an L-5 of that era. I have a '46 (no cutaway) and a '77. Both were quite a bit cheaper than the ones you're listing, and aren't quite as collectible, but they are awesome guitars.

My '46 has never had a PU, it's just acoustic. I was particularly attracted to it's headstock logo, as it's got one one of the last from the 'pre -46-47 era.

My '77 is also a sleeper, '70's Gibson stuff never attracts much attention, but the L-5's from the decade have a good reputation. Mine for sure is an awesome instrument. It currently has a Lollar JS PU.

It's pretty easy to add a floating PU to these guitars either using period correct HW or by just replacing the pickguard, but please keep the guitars hole-free

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM

As long as we're on the subject of period-correct:

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/

- the perfect complement to a '53 L-5...
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 PM

Man, I gotta say there's some nice options presented.
BUT... are you a PLAYER, or a collector?
I personally don't give a poop for vintage anything. If I had $10K I'd buy that Cunningham in your other post. Think of it. .. John D'Angelico needed SOMEBODY to buy and sing the praises of his instruments!
I AM SURE that there are MANY great luthiers who deserve our trust and $ to create the guitars we desire!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

It always comes down to your playing goals for the instrument. It also may relate to playing comfort (Super 400 is 18"). I personally LOVE the L-5 sound of the era presented plugged in but not so much acoustically. I think of them as one of supreme electric guitars for jazz. In terms of vintage acoustic archtops either a 1930s D'Angelico Style A or a Gibson L-5 non-cutaways both sound great and are not always astronomical (more pricey based on condition and provenance like all things vintage).

Otherwise, I think in terms of acoustic tone, some of the work by luthiers over the last 20-years has been fantastic. These instruments in some cases have different playing goals from the great guitars of the past; less about volume and cut and with a more complex tone in my opinion.

I know that I haven't answered your question, but I hope you consider this in your thinking...

My $.02
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

All good points. Thanks for your thoughts all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops