The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2024, 09:50 AM

Default Decent Solid State Practice Amps.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice solid state practice amp that doesn't have a bunch of bells, whistles, and buttons? I've done the Katana and Positive Grid Spark thing. While they are cool, it's just too much for me and ends up distracting me from playing music. Back in the day there were plenty of regular old amps that had a built-in reverb and that's about it. I don't want anything with a computer screen on it, "bank" buttons for storing settings. All that stuff is lost on me.

I'm thinking of getting a Fender Champ and being done with it. Even the Fender Mustang has so many options the average person would never exhaust them all.

The Aviator Cub from Quilter looks pretty great, but it's also pretty expensive for just an at-home jamming amp. I mainly play with headphones at low volumes, so a tube amp would be wasted on me. I'd never crank it up enough to let it to its thing.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice solid state practice amp that doesn't have a bunch of bells, whistles, and buttons?...Back in the day there were plenty of regular old amps that had a built-in reverb and that's about it. I don't want anything with a computer screen on it, "bank" buttons for storing settings. All that stuff is lost on me.

...I mainly play with headphones at low volumes, so a tube amp would be wasted on me. I'd never crank it up enough to let it to its thing.
There's plenty of stuff still out there - this should get you started:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...Page=90&Ns=pLH

I also wouldn't take tube amps entirely off the table: the Bugera T5 head and V5 combo @ $219 and $279 respectively not only have dedicated headphone outputs, but can also be powered down to 0.1W for low-volume practice at 3AM without PO'ing your S.O./kids/neighbors/cat/local constabulary. I own both, and if you're a no-frills guitar-cable-amp kinda guy who favors tone over gadgetry (as I am) either one would be an excellent choice. Good news is that, if/when the need arises, there's enough grunt to cover a coffeehouse/small-club gig with other instruments and a tasteful drummer - a lot going on for not a lotta bucks, and well worth seeking out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-head

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Old 03-16-2024, 10:57 AM

I love my Vox Pathfinder 15R (2 of them!). Small, tube-tone from 8" speaker (Vox Bulldog [likely Celestion] is excellent, BTW), real 2-spring reverb, no SMB (easy for a tech to work on), great cleans ["overdrive" channel is there, but I don't care for it], headphone out, speaker out, interactive Bass and Treble EQ adjusts to any guitar, pre-amp gain, volume, oh, and real Tremelo (speed and depth), all for $150-200 or so. Norah Jones used (and may still) 2 of these on stage for years.

I also love my Fender Mustang III - leave off the computer and just use the top-controls for anything. 12" celestion speaker, lots of amps/effects via the knobs IF YOU WANT THEM, easy to EQ if that's all you want. Digital Reverb sounds great (to me), effects loop (use that looper pedal), headphone out, speaker out, aux in (jam tracks). Very versatile, sounds great, and usually less than $200. Note - the Fender Fuse software and support are discontinued on these obsolete amps, BUT the amps remain very usable. I still run the FUSE on my older mac w/o issue - works great. Note - Mustang II has most of these features, BUT lacks the Mustang III's little LCD screen that shows you what's going on.

Highly recommend both of these amps.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Black Star makes more than a couple very useful solid-state amps for not a bunch of dough... the newer Vox models with their "micro-tubes" sound very good, and again, very affordable!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-16-2024, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I just returned a Spark for the very reasons you mentioned. I exchanged it for a Yamaha THR 10II All I wanted were a few simple knob-controlled effects and a 3-band EQ—screw the fancy app-based features. Thats what I got, and I'm crazy about it. It does have presets and some limited modeling, but it's easy to just forget they are there. Highly recommended at just $329.99.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:16 PM

Vox Mini-Super Beatle
Old 03-16-2024, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Decent Solid State Practice Amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I love my Vox Pathfinder 15R (2 of them!). Small, tube-tone from 8" speaker (Vox Bulldog [likely Celestion] is excellent, BTW), real 2-spring reverb, no SMB (easy for a tech to work on), great cleans ["overdrive" channel is there, but I don't care for it], headphone out, speaker out, interactive Bass and Treble EQ adjusts to any guitar, pre-amp gain, volume, oh, and real Tremelo (speed and depth), all for $150-200 or so. Norah Jones used (and may still) 2 of these on stage for years.
Can’t beat these, IMO. I’ve had one for probably 15 years or more, and it does a great job for all the reasons you list.

Sadly, mine has recently developed a bit of a buzz. It sounds mechanical, so I’m hoping I can track it down and take care of it. I’ll gladly invest in a new speaker for it, if that’s what it turns out to be.

IMG_1710633199.832444.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-16-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice solid state practice amp that doesn't have a bunch of bells, whistles, and buttons? I've done the Katana and Positive Grid Spark thing. While they are cool, it's just too much for me and ends up distracting me from playing music. Back in the day there were plenty of regular old amps that had a built-in reverb and that's about it. I don't want anything with a computer screen on it, "bank" buttons for storing settings. All that stuff is lost on me.

I'm thinking of getting a Fender Champ and being done with it. Even the Fender Mustang has so many options the average person would never exhaust them all.

The Aviator Cub from Quilter looks pretty great, but it's also pretty expensive for just an at-home jamming amp. I mainly play with headphones at low volumes, so a tube amp would be wasted on me. I'd never crank it up enough to let it to its thing.
Roland Cube Street or it's larger sibling, the cube EX. Some folks complain about the price, but you do get what you pay for.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:12 PM

I love my THR, but if options are distracting, check out the Monoprice tube amp on Amazon. Simple...no excuses...just plug and play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-16-2024, 07:49 PM

Try to find a gen1 THR5. I've now got a 10II. Great amps.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Can’t beat these, IMO. I’ve had one for probably 15 years or more, and it does a great job for all the reasons you list.

Sadly, mine has recently developed a bit of a buzz. It sounds mechanical, so I’m hoping I can track it down and take care of it. I’ll gladly invest in a new speaker for it, if that’s what it turns out to be.

Attachment 105457
If it's not a blown speaker, my suspicion is it's due for a recap. Those power supply and other caps are good for 10-15 years or so. They lose mojo gradually and become symptomatic. I just had a tech replace the power supply caps on one of mine. $40 with me bringing it in with chassis removed, to save a few bucks (plus, I like to tinker), but should be well under $100. Worth a check to see what's up, as you can't do better these days.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I mainly play with headphones at low volumes, so a tube amp would be wasted on me. I'd never crank it up enough to let it to its thing.
Once again this myth surfaces (if "to let it to its thing" is supposed to mean tube breakup ?). A tube amp will sound good regardless of volume level PERIOD

Now that said are a some valid reasons to consider an SS over a tube amp

#1 cost a low watt tube amp with a headphone jack is likely to be $200 and up (like the Bugera Steve suggested)

# 2 in a combo configuration there is likely more weight involved in a tube combo

So with all that said I had an Orange Crush 20 RT (REVERB AND TUNER )SS combo that was pretty simple but they are now also $200.
Or the Orange Crush 20 combo no reverb or tuner for $150
Or the Orange Terror head for about $150

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-17-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Vox Mini-Super Beatle
If I were in need of a small amp, I'd go and try a Mini Superbeetle.

As things are, I'm happy, for home use, with my:
- little Marshall DSL1 tube amp (in the Low Power setting)
- preamp pedal (Vox Mystic Edge or Blackstar HT-Dual) into some computer speakers
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 AM

Since you're mainly using headphones, look at the Quilter SuperBlock US or SuperBlock UK, depending on your tonal preference.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tt-guitar-head

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tt-guitar-head

Each one has a toggle switch for "Cab Sim" (which you'll most likely put in the "Normal" position and leave it) and for "Voice" (which allows you to select the overall sound "flavor" you prefer). Very simple and straightforward. No screens, no menus.

Attach your favorite speaker cabinet if you want to hear yourself without headphones.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:28 AM

I have a Quilter Microblock that I plug into a speaker cabinet. No frills and works well. It replaced my Fender Pro Junior.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars