The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-01-2023, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Eastman T486 Thinline

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Eastman's version of the ES-335. I'm considering buying one to replace my Gibson ES 335. There's a big price difference between my used 335 and a new T486. If they're roughly equivalent there's no sense keeping the Gibson.

If you have one of the Eastman's I'd like to hear your thoughts.

By the way, I did something similar when I sold my Bourgeois OM Custom 12 fret and bought an Eastman 12 fret. I know this is just my opinion but there isn't a $4,000 difference between the Bourgeois and the Eastman.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:20 PM

The T486 is a great guitar. I've had one for a year now and it exceeds my expectations in quality, playability and tone. Like most Eastmans, a great value for the price.
I've tried a few ES 335s over the years and the examples I've played, including a late 60s, never matched the hype.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:25 PM

Funny enough, I was discussing guitars with a random person the other day, and he mentioned Eastman guitars-very enthusiastic about them for playability and quality.
Has prompted me to look them up as they seem pretty good.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 01-02-2023, 07:54 PM

I owned a T486. It was a great guitar. I'm not really sure why I sold it. The nut width is wider on the Eastman than the Gibson, but that isn't a problem for me.

I recently bought a T59V. I like this guitar more than the T486. It is exactly what I wanted in a 335 type guitar.

There was a T486 for sale in the classifieds recently for a really good price. I almost bought it a couple of times. If I hadn't just bought the T59v, I would have bought it.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I have a T486 that I bought used for super cheap. I’d love an es335, but can’t afford one, plus I like the 1 3/4” nut on the Eastman, especially for when I want to fingerpick it . Overall I’m really pleased with the 486. Can you get one from a store with a return policy to try it out before selling your Gibson?
Old 01-03-2023, 04:43 PM

Sweet guitar - if not for the big neck I'd own one right now...
Old 01-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I have a T486 that I got about 6 months ago. I couldn’t spend 3-4 thousand on an ES335 and saw this as the best combination of quality and affordability as an alternative compared to some other options such as Epiphone. I haven’t been disappointed. I reach for it often.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I have a T486 that I bought used for super cheap. I’d love an es335, but can’t afford one, plus I like the 1 3/4” nut on the Eastman, especially for when I want to fingerpick it . Overall I’m really pleased with the 486. Can you get one from a store with a return policy to try it out before selling your Gibson?
I probably will see if I can find a store with a good return policy. I wouldn't mind paying shipping both ways.

I might also wait a bit and see if one comes up used on AGF or Craigs List.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:37 PM

I own one and am very fond of it. The nut width is wider than a 335 and there are differences of course but it has great pickups and scratched my 335 itch for sure. It is a high quality instrument that punches way above its cost.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
I probably will see if I can find a store with a good return policy. I wouldn't mind paying shipping both ways.

I might also wait a bit and see if one comes up used on AGF or Craigslist.
There's a whole bunch of them (used and new) on Reverb, starting at $1250:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?produ...rt=price%7Casc

P.S. - Goldburst (actually a late-60's Gibson-style teaburst) is my favorite...
Old 01-03-2023, 09:59 PM

Timely discussion.

I'm looking at an Eastman thinline also, but the T186MX (or T185MX). I came to this sub-forum to see if there were any discussions or opinions on them.

I'm contemplating two 335 style guitars: the Heritage H-535 and the Eastman T186MX. Due to the difference in price, my budget would steer me to a lightly used H-535 but I could swing a new Eastman.

I don't gig, so most of my playing would likely be at lower volumes in the house through mostly clean tube channels. My musical preference lies more on the Jazz/Blues side of the spectrum than on the Blues/Rock/Grunge side of things.

Because of that, there is some appeal or bias in my mind that I'd probably like the tonal and resonant qualities of the all solid wood Eastman over the laminated top of the Heritage (actually typing that probably ensures that I will fail miserably any and all "blind playing tests" for the rest of my days).

I'd be grateful to hear input or opinions from anyone who has played any combination of the T186MX, T486, and H-535.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 01-04-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
...I'm looking at an Eastman thinline also, but the T186MX (or T185MX)...
If you have the money the 186 is in a class by itself, in craftsmanship and value - haven't played one since the first examples hit the market, but they were very impressive then and I understand they're even better now...
Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 PM

please delete

Last edited by Telejonz; 01-05-2023 at 03:40 AM. Reason: delete
Old 01-07-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you have the money the 186 is in a class by itself, in craftsmanship and value - haven't played one since the first examples hit the market, but they were very impressive then and I understand they're even better now...
I pulled the trigger on a new T186MX (Classic finish) that should be here Tuesday. I sold a bunch of boat and car parts in my garage to create the budget .

Once it acclimates and is unboxed, I'll post an NGD thread here.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 01-07-2023, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I'm the OP for this thread.

I finally had a chance to play a 484, here's my assessment.

Comparing it to a Gibson ES 335/339 the quality of the build is equal, the Eastman could even be considered better just because there is more detailing on the trim. Absolutely beautiful build

The sound is slightly different, not better or worse, and perhaps a bit more versatile. THE SD pickups are very nice.

There's only one thing keeping me from jumping in, the neck width. I like a 1 3/4" neck on an acoustic guitar but it doesn't work for me, with the style I play, on an electric guitar.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars