The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2024, 01:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Cordoba Stage?

What's the verdict?

Something to practice on late at night and do a little direct recording as well?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-08-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What's the verdict?

Something to practice on late at night and do a little direct recording as well?
As you probably remember, I did a "silent" version of a similar guitar a while back. (HERE) I liked that guitar well enough I did an entire build topic for a steel-strung version on the TDPRI Telecaster forum.

I think having a late night silent guitar is a great idea, and the Cordoba Stage would make a great choice for that.

I might have went that route myself, but I really prefer a shorter scale length. It's a little pricey to purchase solely as a late night guitar, but it's a really nice package if you don't mind the cost.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Stage?

I just bought one of these, on New Year’s Day. My wife and I didn’t get each other gifts this year, as we were out of town for Christmas, so this was effectively my gift from her.

I’d been wanting to venture into the nylon world for a while. Apart from a guitalele a few years ago, I’ve never owned a nylon-strung guitar. It was important that whatever I bought had electronics, for recording and online collaboration. I was specifically looking for a crossover instrument to avoid too much adjustment between it and my steel-string guitars. The Cordoba Stage seemed to fit the bill, and has proven to do so, admirably.

I was able to spend a good 45 minutes, undisturbed, with the two my local GC had on the wall. Both played very nicely, sounded great to my ears, and produce easily enough volume unplugged for quiet practice. I came home with the amber version, purely on looks.

After having it for a while, I became convinced that there was a problem with the output jack, so I took it back and exchanged it. They only had the edgeburst version, brand new in the box, so I brought that one home.

This appeared to have the same problem with the jack, but that actually turned out to be the cable in the end (documented elsewhere on the AGF). However, the replacement guitar has a much nicer setup - the action is noticeably lower, and I find it altogether easier to play - so the exchange was a good move.

I’m really happy with it. The electronics are versatile, and there’s a good range of tones to be had. It’s very comfortable to play, and I think it looks pretty cool too. I don’t particularly care for the stock strings, but as I’m a nylon novice, that’s a rabbit hole I’m not anxious to go down for a while.

IMG_1707423615.665028.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-08-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I think I'm going to get one for as a birthday/ belated retirement gift. I was looking at a Fender Player strat, but I think I would be better off with the Stage.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-08-2024, 07:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I don’t particularly care for the stock strings, but as I’m a nylon novice, that’s a rabbit hole I’m not anxious to go down for a while.

Attachment 103931
When in doubt go with normal tension strings, polished bass and clear nylon trebles. At least that is what I have discovered so far.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When in doubt go with normal tension strings, polished bass and clear nylon trebles. At least that is what I have discovered so far.
It came with “Savarez Alliance/Cantiga High Tension 510AJ“, which I understand to mean Alliance trebles, Cantiga basses. I don’t know (yet) what that means, but I do know that I find the tension and feel very comfortable, but would love to find bass strings which don’t squeak so much.

I should probably start a separate thread.
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-08-2024, 09:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
It came with “Savarez Alliance/Cantiga High Tension 510AJ“, which I understand to mean Alliance trebles, Cantiga basses. I don’t know (yet) what that means, but I do know that I find the tension and feel very comfortable, but would love to find bass strings which don’t squeak so much.

Polished basses help a little with that, but you have to pick up your fingertips, don't slide. At least that's what I say, not what I do,

That would make a good thread though.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-08-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Alliance trebles are carbon strings, which are often considered to be bright compared to nylon. Although many find a carbon G to be preferable to a nylon G (so called "less tubby") a carbon E can sound overly bright and unpleasant to some ears.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-09-2024, 12:38 AM

I played one when I was in a local store and liked it quite a lot. It'd be on my wish list if I didn't already have my Godin Multiac Grand Concert Duet Ambiance.

The sound through a Fishman Loudbox was very nice. The reason why I prefer my Godin over the Cordoba isn't for tone, it's that the Godin has a nice big body and a traditional classical nut width, which suits me very well. For those looking for more of a crossover, the Stage is pretty fantastic.

As for a "quiet" guitar, it's not really that quiet. Acoustically, it's not anywhere near as quiet as a Yamaha Silent guitar. In a quiet house, someone will absolutely hear it in the next room. If you need an instrument for quiet late night practice, Yamaha is probably the way to go. Though the plugged in tone of the Yamaha is disappointing for me to say the least (requires obscene amounts of EQ to get rid of 100Hz boom and high frequency noise; I have to use the integral bass EQ knob, an EQ pedal, and still yet the EQ knobs on the combo amp; admittedly if you go through this hassle it's not bad!).

I think the Stage would work very well for direct recording. Well, you know, as far as direct recording goes. There's not hundreds of nylon electric guitar options out there, so among what there is, I think the Stage holds up very well.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
The reason why I prefer my Godin over the Cordoba isn't for tone, it's that the Godin has a nice big body and a traditional classical nut width, which suits me very well. For those looking for more of a crossover, the Stage is pretty fantastic.
Good news for those of us who prefer the traditional classical guitar nut width and neck profile. Cordoba just released the Stage Traditional which has a 52mm nut width and flat neck profile.

Last edited by Dogsnax; 02-09-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Good news for those of us who prefer the traditional classical guitar nut width and neck profile. Cordoba just released a the Stage Traditional which has a 52mm nut width and flat neck profile.

https://youtu.be/bJ_HqN1dAAQ?si=oV8-8D319U-ip1q6
Uh oh.

Luckily I didn't pull the trigger yet. I'll have to see if I like this one vs the crossover neck. It sounds very good though.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Uh oh.

Luckily I didn't pull the trigger yet. I'll have to see if I like this one vs the crossover neck. It sounds very good though.
Barry,

I'm pretty sure Sweetwater has them in stock. $749
Old 02-09-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Barry,

Sweetwater has 6 Cordoba Stage Traditionals to chose from at this time. The biggest difference is the rear view of the body.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Barry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Sweetwater has 6 Cordoba Stage Traditionals to chose from at this time. The biggest difference is the rear view of the body.
I want to see if GC gets them in the store near me so I can play it. I really liked the feel of the Cordoba Stage neck, but I know sometimes I want more room. I get that with my C12 and Fusion. I'll go back and forth depending on what I'm playing. Thanks for the info.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Down to 4 now - they’re flying out of there
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical