The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Where have you been most successful selling your gear?

Its time to thin the heard. I've got a guitar at a local place on consignment but I don't think that's going to work out. No nibbles even after a couple weeks.
I've had one of my guitars listed on CL at what I thought was a fair price and again not even a single nibble.

So where do you go to sell your stuff [and why there]???
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-26-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Removed details
Old 09-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Thinning the herd

I've sold here, on LTG and CL. Be patient. It's definitely a buyers market so be prepared to wait it out unless you want to give them away.

Sad but true.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I've had great success right here on AGF, but have also used Reverb successfully. It's a tough market, but if what you have is in good shape and priced right, it'll sell...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM

I've had the most luck on craigslist and reverb. I've only sold one guitar on this forum (lot's of questions).

I also haven't noticed the down market. I tend to price myself the lowest, or close to the lowest and take good pics. Things usually last no longer than 2-3 weeks.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM

I've sold here and Reverb. Fastest sales have been Reverb.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Craiglist. I price my guitars to sell, not to keep them. Price them to keep them, and they will not sell. Asking retail for a 10 year old beat up guitar (even with HSC and picks) is pricing them to keep them. For non-US models expect to get 40% - 60% of retail price for them. I prefer face to face deals so the buyer can see what they are getting. Shipping is too much of a hassle for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Cannot answer your question but I will not even look at a guitar on consignment and longer. The last two I was interested in were impossible to come to an agreement on. Between what the seller wanted and the commission charged by the store there is simply not enough wiggle room.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
..So where do you go to sell your stuff [and why there]???
I would suggest listing it everywhere you can, including eBay, Reverb, and on any guitar forum that has a classifieds section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Cannot answer your question but I will not even look at a guitar on consignment and longer. The last two I was interested in were impossible to come to an agreement on. Between what the seller wanted and the commission charged by the store there is simply not enough wiggle room.
Being on consignment should have nothing to do with the asking price, or what you pay for a guitar.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Elderly consignment has worked best for me, but you have to have a good (desirable) instrument and price it fairly. I don't know why any buyer would be the least bit concerned about the percentage that the consignment shop receives; it's transparent on the purchasing end. You look at the price and if it's satisfactory that's what you pay.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Mostly consignment, some trades, a couple word-of-mouth private sales...
Old 09-26-2017, 03:10 PM

It seriously depends on what it is and whether its a well known thing with a large mass market or if its a less well known/specialized market item.. Or if you are just unloading something cheap..

Cheap stuff does best in the local market places.. Music store consignment, CL, flea market, whatever... Most folks can scrape up a couple hundred $$$..

Once you get above cheap - you need some way to connect with people with enough money.... That means some sort of venue that takes cards... Music store or online. CL attracts the eyes of the larger regional audience... But you take a real hit on CASH only pricing... Also - I hate dealing with CL buyers and sellers.. Often as not - the people are flakey and unreliable at best.. But that's the nature of the beast....

That takes you online... That's a fantastic place to connect with folks with either expensive famous name stuff or oddball enthusiast stuff... But - its the worst place ever to connect on cheap/bog standard stuff because that market is completely flooded.. Online can be dicey because of unscrupulous people as well shipping companies... I have had some valuable stuff destroyed by shippers - who never ever pay out on a claim..

Then last... Selling something used to a music store or pawn shop.. Serious hair cut... Cash in hand TODAY... There is nothing what so ever wrong with selling to a dealer when you need to sell something NOW.. OR you hate dealing with 8 weeks of all of the above I listed...
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM

I've sold and bought numerous times on my local CL ... never a problem, never a complaint. However, I'm fortunate to live in a pretty highly populated area of the country with a vibrant music scene.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I've sold here, on LTG and CL. Be patient. It's definitely a buyers market so be prepared to wait it out unless you want to give them away.

Sad but true.
I can't figure it out, neither can Googge. What is LTG?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Reverb - if the offered price is right..
Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Default LTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I can't figure it out, neither can Googge. What is LTG?
Let's Talk Guild.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion