The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
Harry left me a message. Bottom line is they should have repaired it. For whatever reason they chose not to do that. I will make sure not to visit that store in the future.
I agree; Very poor customer customer service, and I would not give them any more of my business.

m
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM

"Did you know that we are an Authorized Warranty Service Center for Fender, Taylor, and Martin Guitars? This means we can service most warranty-issue repairs right here in our store. Give us a call for more information on our Warranty Service Center."

Maybe they should add "if we feel like it."
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Warranty

Re-gluing a partially detached binding is no big deal. I doubt that the issue is whether Martin thinks the shop is competent. If they can't handle that they shouldn't be an authorized service entity.

Is it possible that Martin allows only a reduced warranty fee to them for the repair and they don't feel it's enough? Similar to how a Dr who gets a reduced fee from an insurance company for an office visit or procedure?

Whatever the case, for the shop to try to charge the OP is unacceptable.

Just my opinion, anyway.......
Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I had a great experience with a Martin warranty issue.
I had a CS that the englemann was built (or braced) too thin.
They were nice, very slow repair cycle, but in the end they rate high in my book.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Interesting thread.

I have a Martin that seemed to have unusually high action. I took it to a local luthier for a setup. My heart sank we he said he felt it needed a neck reset. He called Martin, explained the situation and made the case for it. Martin had him put me on the phone and they explained that they wanted to do the repair at Martin because the guitar was relatively new. Luckily I live kind of nearby and delivered it in person. The repair was flawless.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Luckily I live kind of nearby and delivered it in person. The repair was flawless.
You were, indeed, very lucky!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Interesting thread.

I have a Martin that seemed to have unusually high action. I took it to a local luthier for a setup. My heart sank we he said he felt it needed a neck reset. He called Martin, explained the situation and made the case for it. Martin had him put me on the phone and they explained that they wanted to do the repair at Martin because the guitar was relatively new. Luckily I live kind of nearby and delivered it in person. The repair was flawless.
Quick, how did it go with the neck reset? Does it look as it did new?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Not all authorized repair centers can do every bit of work that may be needed. Or, maybe they were authorized once but aren't any longer If you are the original owner, Martin should do it or have someone authorized by them to do it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
No sir. They asked that same question when I dropped it off.
I would have responded, "Does that matter, as you are a certified Martin warranty dealer?" or "Why do you ask?"

Asking questions like this puts the onus on them.

But after the treatment you received from them, I would make it known to the management that you will not be coming back and would be posting the bad service you received on AGF. I can't believe they would refuse service on a $75.00 bill that would basically cost them nothing but a little glue.

The response should have been even if it was out of warranty. "Hey, that's just a small thing that you could repair yourself but let us do it for you at no charge. I hope you don't mind waiting a few days for the glue to dry."

How many sets of strings would they sell because of response like that? Many companies just don't get it.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Did the finish lift off with the binding? That is what happened to my D-18. Martin covered the warranty work with no issues. They would not cover where it is about to lift in another spot till it happens. Seems to be an epidemic of this happening. My guy that did the repair says he does 4-5 a month on mostly d-28's and 18's that are 2-6 years old.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 AM

Did you happen to notice that this is a resurrected thread that is over a year old?
And the Original Poster hasn't been on AGF since last December.
Just an observation.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Dunno what it is about Martin's binding but I've seen this three times, twice on '70s guitars and recently on my '60s 12 string rebuilt (by Martin) in the late '90s.

The binding shrinks and pulls away - mostly on the waist.

first time I had it done by a local tech for about £10, and the second time, I did it myself with some white glue and two or three belts, and recently (this year, took it to a local tech who did it for me in a week and didn't charge me.

He did say that when it happens - best to reglue it as soon as possible before the binding loses its shape.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Did you happen to notice that this is a resurrected thread that is over a year old?
And the Original Poster hasn't been on AGF since last December.
Just an observation.
Nope. I didn't notice. I guess the joke is on me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion