The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I've never seen any of the problems that you stated, but I'm not saying they didn't happen to you either. I also stated that some people simply prefer other guitars and they were the honest ones.

All makers have snags at times. Even the mighty Taylor, Martin, or Yamaha...From what I've owned and played for 32 years, none of them touch Gibson, overall...But that is one man's opinion.

Some Gibson envy exists. There is no doubt about that.
There are snags 'at times', and then there are consistent snags. Just about every guitar forum you care to visit will have complaints posted about Gibson's woeful attention to detail and quality control in particular. This doesn't seem to happen with any of the other brands you mention-in particular Yamaha, almost always cited here and elsewhere as an exemplar of excellence in production quality, at every price point.
I have yet to meet anyone envious of poor quality

Last edited by AndrewG; 09-26-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
There are snags 'at times', and then there are consistent snags. Just about every guitar forum you care to visit will have complaints posted about Gibson's woeful attention to detail and quality control in particular. This doesn't seem to happen with any of the other brands you mention.
I have yet to meet anyone envious of poor quality
I won't argue, but I see plenty of guys here who seem to love their Gibsons, including me. Why would I pay well over a grand for a piece of junk?

And again, I've never seen the problems you mentioned.

I think anyone being truly honest will admit that certain brands have haters, and that some of the hatred is out of envy.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM

My quest for a descent dread started at Guitar Center. I played Martins, Taylors, Breedloves, Gibson's and a few others. None excited me enough to shell out $2000 for one. Then I went to Chicago Music Exchange. Played a J-45 that was almost what I was looking for. I asked the salesman if they had anymore J-45's and he brought out three more still in the boxes. I tried out each one and chose the one that met all my expectations of a $2000 guitar. That was by far the best guitar buying experience I've ever had. My point to all of this is to go out and play as many Gibson's as you can to find the right one.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM

J-15 sunburst modern classic...
All I could afford...
Don't care about all the neg sayin'...
Tight bond, inspiring, fluent creative energy...
Love it...
https://goo.gl/photos/NEzfk5NvgFEvWoab7
Dan
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 PM

I really like the Gibson J-200 and will probably buy one some day. I have to say though that every new J-200 I've picked up to try in a store has needed a proper setup. The used ones I've tried have been fine. I wonder if Gibson just leaves that final tweak to the customer. Taylor guitars fresh out of the box play great. I think they're smart to do this since first impressions are so important.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM

I which the case for my Gibby ES-335 had a shroud.
My buddy's 345 case does.

Peeling back the shroud is a moment of drama, like the opening of a curtain on a stage.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinningbanjo53 View Post
Gibson hate is generally due to "rough" fit and finish.

If you're more concerned about tone and playability it won't bother you.

Most of this "inconsistent with bad fit and finish" is blown out of proportion.

There's a reason you see the majority of singer/songwriters using a Gibson.

They play, sound and record great.
I agree. My guitar shopping came down to the D-28 or J-45. The D-28 was impeccable, the flat surfaces were mirror flat, every detail was perfect. The J-45 on the other hand was a bit rough, with minute undulations on flat surfaces and body curves, that were visible from lights reflected off the surfaces. The area around the finger board as it approaches the sound hole was rough, almost unfinished. I bought the J-45 for that unique tone that spoke to me, I love that sound! If I wanted build quality, fit and finish, I would have taken the D-28.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Default don't hate

..I don't hate Gibsons. I hate the fact that the company builds so many not so great guitars. I own a great J-50. It's way better than 99% of the Gibsons built. In my opinion you have to play 10 Gibsons to get a good one. Just my 2 cents...but, in their defense..I love the ringing overtone Martin/Collings sound....
Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
'Envy'? Not a chance; the SJ200 I ordered had a back strip off-centre both ends by about 1/4", so did the J15 I played in a store. The J35 I recently returned was built by a 5-year old judging from the 'quality', an ES135 I ordered arrived with an off centre Tune-o-matic, missing tuner screws, missing a tailpiece screw, finish crazing, a crooked 'ES135' decal and the body was full of wood chips. The CJ165 was an embarrassment, and I won't even mention the entry level electrics which are unbelievably bad. What am I supposed to be envious of?
The only Gibson I ever owned and which was excellent in every way, was an early 2000s Advanced Jumbo. If I'm supposed to be envious of anything it's those lucky people who actually found a decent Gibson acoustic. I have been playing for 50 years and have seen Gibson quality descend to the atrocious in many, many cases.
At the prices we are being asked to pay this is completely unacceptable. I expect the same level of consistency from Gibson as I get with Martin, Fender, Taylor and Yamaha-who could clearly teach Gibson a thing or two.
Well everyone knows Gibson sends their best guitars to Japan (true) and their worst to Olde Blighty (probably true). And you SHOULD play a Yamaha. Seriously, forget Gibson...
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
you have to play 10 Gibsons to get a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
Seriously, forget Gibson...

Ah, now things are getting back to what passes for normal around here.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Well everyone knows Gibson sends their best guitars to Japan (true) and their worst to Olde Blighty (probably true). And you SHOULD play a Yamaha. Seriously, forget Gibson...
No.
Olde Blighty is too close.
Just like convicts, they send them down to Terra Australis.
Australia.
I know because I've played them.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-26-2017, 10:38 PM

The OP question was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83 View Post
It seems like a lot of people online hate on Gibson guitars. Why is that?
Eventually we got to:
Quote:
Seriously, forget Gibson...
We have come full circle.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Well everyone knows Gibson sends their best guitars to Japan ...

Everyone?

I didn't know that.
Still don't.

Please don't speak for me.

Last edited by Tico; 09-26-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 PM

As for me, I have owned many Gibsons over the last 30 years and have finally settled on a 1964 J45 and a 1934 L-Century. It really depends completely on what your style will be and whether you want that thump or not. Looks aside, I was and am always chasing that Gibby thump. Hoping soon to be owning a 1944 Banner LG-2!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 AM

I've never played a bad Gibson EVER EVER EVER. Now you have to guess how many I have played. In my opinion the blanket Gibson criticism by the few (not all) may be band wagon related.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 09-27-2017 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion