The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 07:18 AM

In my somewhat limited collection of guitars, the one that is closest to the "lots of volume, overtone and sustain" is a Wechter spruce top / hog BS 000.

The opposite side of the spectrum, with plenty of warmth, dryness, and fundamental, uncluttered tone, is the Waterloo WL-S, a ladder braced little sweetheart.

Between those two poles, slightly more on the side of the Waterloo is my Martin 000-17SM.

Based on my somewhat limited experience, and speaking as a fingerpicker, I recommend you try the Martin 00/ 000-17 series. They sit very nicely in both realms..... that is, unless you fall in love with the Waterloos first.

And, in between the Martin 17s and the Waterloo would be the all hog Martin 000-15s, in my opinion.

Unless you spend a lot of time up past the 12th fret, I'd look for a 12fret neck to body joint in any of the guitars I mentioned.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 09-25-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

For those of you suggesting strings I definitely understand the impact of strings and have experimented greatly to that extent. The guitar is still super thick and rich sounding and I'm not trying to change that. More I want to compliment it.

And thanks Wade, I have thought about looking into Walnut from some of what I've heard. Also thinking OM style. I don't need lots of low end, just balance. Infact I think that's the perfect word to describe what I'm looking for balanced, not super complex, not super bright, not super warm. Little more on the fundamental side and crisp.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I would also like to duplicate Wade's statements about Walnut. I have two walnuts that I love...they are drier, more fundamental...but very articulate. Depending on the species of walnut, they will be Bright but with less Jangleness.More definition than Mahogany..and Walnut can have lots of bass if paired with the right body style.
However...You should also consider cocobolo. And that is actually what I would like to own as my next guitar. It is articulate like walnut or Koa..but with sustain like Rosewood. The problem of course...is that any cocobolo guitar is very expensive. If funds are not a consideration...I would search to play and hear a cocobolo. But...there are not a lot around to play and hear. You might have to travel a bit...like I am going to.
Personally I like a bit of Jangle. Another person mentioned a good point..that you are use to a certain type of sound..that rosewood creates. And that might another reason to investigate cocobolo..as having parts from the two worlds.
But the last thing I would like to say...is even if you pick a mahogany because you want that type of sound...you can control that jangleness with the type of bridge pins you insert into it. bone will bring out more jangle..and ebony will subdue it. So many variables...so many body sizes..and so many wood choices. I wish you good luck...as I do myself in the search of the sound that inspires us..that we wish for.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 PM

Hog back and sides with cedar top. Job done. Try a Taylor. Although they are supposed to be bright this combination makes them mellow and articulated. I have a GC but they also do a cedar top on a GA. good luck
Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrasicway View Post
Hog back and sides with cedar top. Job done. Try a Taylor. Although they are supposed to be bright this combination makes them mellow and articulated. I have a GC but they also do a cedar top on a GA. good luck
What models are cedar over hog?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM

It was close, but I went with the Taylor because it was brighter.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM

I might recommend a Martin D-18. They are reasonable if you buy used and the new ones (IMHO) with the forward shift bracing sound great.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The sky's the limit really, so knowing your budget will greatly help others make suggestions that are doable for you...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

For those of you suggesting strings I definitely understand the impact of strings and have experimented greatly to that extent. The guitar is still super thick and rich sounding and I'm not trying to change that. More I want to compliment it.

And thanks Wade, I have thought about looking into Walnut from some of what I've heard. Also thinking OM style. I don't need lots of low end, just balance. Infact I think that's the perfect word to describe what I'm looking for balanced, not super complex, not super bright, not super warm. Little more on the fundamental side and crisp.
OM and 000 is a good direction to go, perhaps even 00. Spruce/Hog or Hog/Hog are good first choices to explore since they are so readily available. Smaller guitars an immediacy, balance and responsiveness that many larger guitars lack.

I love the Taylor 322's but when I think "dry", I think 15 series Martin.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Try a 514ce-LTD if you can get your hands on one - cedar top, granadillo b/s. I sure have liked mine..... they're a little hard to find probably, a 2016 LTD....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone. Don't really have a set budget, just depends on how many years I have to save or how many banks I have to rob! Probably around $2000 but not set in stone.

I wish I had more guitar stores close by. Live in the very northeast corner of Missouri. I can see trees in Iowa and lllinois is about 10 min away. I am about 3 hours from St. Louise, and three hours from 2 other cities with guitar center.
Not only that but I have never been pleased by the selection or sound at guitar center. I don't know if its the strings or humidity or just the guitars that happen to be there but I have just never been impressed with what I've tried.

On a side note I recently saw some videos by Eddies guitars in St. Louis. I may have to take a trip there as that looks a lot more promising.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Thanks everyone. Don't really have a set budget, just depends on how many years I have to save or how many banks I have to rob! Probably around $2000 but not set in stone.

I wish I had more guitar stores close by. Live in the very northeast corner of Missouri. I can see trees in Iowa and lllinois is about 10 min away. I am about 3 hours from St. Louise, and three hours from 2 other cities with guitar center.
Not only that but I have never been pleased by the selection or sound at guitar center. I don't know if its the strings or humidity or just the guitars that happen to be there but I have just never been impressed with what I've tried.

On a side note I recently saw some videos by Eddies guitars in St. Louis. I may have to take a trip there as that looks a lot more promising.
I live in California...but are flying out this Friday morning to Kentucky to see my Brother and Nephew. From their I will be going over to Lexington to Willcut Guitars and then down to Eddies Guitars in St. Louis where I will be auditioning several guitars in hopes of finding that special sound I have only dreamed of.
One big problem I have noticed..is listening to a guitar in a wood sided or wood floored room...as they often have at many stores..like guitar center's special high end small rooms. Guitars always sound better in those rooms...because of the reflections. Love playing in those kind of rooms...but they are misleading. Even in a room filled with other guitars...the sound is reflecting off them as well. No easy answer when auditioning a guitar...so many variables.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
crisp sound, hog guitar, new guitar