The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Chimaera on the beach :)

My wife and I took a short vacation this weekend on Lake Michigan, and this time I decided to bring a guitar. Had a lot of fun practicing with the waves crashing along the shoreline, sitting with our dogs under a beach umbrella. The Chimaera projects really well out in the open.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 AM

Nice action shot!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Looks like a man on a mission: relax... play...repeat.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 AM

Hi Ho Silver Lining !

Sorry, just kind of free associating or something here...

First thing that came to mind , something about "open up your beach umbrella",,,, not to mention "in your hippie hat" !

Nice location, nice guitars too man,,,

(I'm just back from a long Sunday "lunch" in the pub, , ,
I seem to be seeing everything OK except that it looks like you're playing two guitars at once, which I know is impossible..)
Old 09-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Nice outing for your Chimaera. I'm sure it's happy to be played out in the fresh air. I have yet to take mine on such an adventure. Gonna have to.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Hats and two guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hi Ho Silver Lining !

Sorry, just kind of free associating or something here...

First thing that came to mind , something about "open up your beach umbrella",,,, not to mention "in your hippie hat" !

Nice location, nice guitars too man,,,

(I'm just back from a long Sunday "lunch" in the pub, , ,
I seem to be seeing everything OK except that it looks like you're playing two guitars at once, which I know is impossible..)
Hippie hat, that's a new one It's a a Canadian made Tilley, often mistaken for an Aussie bush hat. Had to open up one flap on that tent, was starting to roast inside.

Don't recall the musician's name, but there's a YouTube vid going around of a guy with what looks like a CF doubleneck, six and twelve, that taps on both necks and does it quite well, so it is possible to play both at once. I was working on that, it's a bit tricky tapping a twelve, and I'm also a Stick player so I'm no stranger to two handed tapping.

Good time, the hours go by quick. Never got to work on everything I had hope to.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Default Time in the pub

Missed that about being in the pub. I thinking the more "lunch" you have there, the more likely you will see it as one neck
Old 09-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Long Jon, all cool guitar players know about Tilley Hats...

Nothing "hippie" about them. I had one captain job where it was an optional part of the uniform.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:58 AM

Don't worry fellahs ,I am a Tilley hat owner myself . That very same model, it even floats. I used to think it was cool too.

I have stopped wearing mine since the day I had it on and my son (32) said :
"Oh, I see you're wearing that hat that makes you look about 10 years older..."

I hate young people sometimes, especially young men....

I really like the Chimaera though,
personally I would be a bit shy of owning one, because of the expectation of any onlookers that I was about to do something amazing with that thing.... which I'm afraid I couldn't live up to !

(The "hippie hat" was an irrelevant reference to the famous Jeff Beck anthem "HHSL" which also mentions beach umbrellas... like I said , I was a bit ,,, "lunched" yesterday.)
Old 09-25-2017, 05:37 AM

The Chimera looks like it is having fun! I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post pics here yet, but I should. My Rainsong and I made a trip to the beach in Prince Edward Island, CA and played for the East coast gulls this year, all while wearing the Tilley cap. Something really nice about playing by the ocean, glad you had the chance.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 AM

Looks like fun! We've spent many a summer nice day on Lake Michigan and her shores, back when I lived in Michigan (grew up there -- first the LP and then the UP). The only guitar I've ever taken to the beach was an old Ovation Celebrity -- and someone would have done me a favor had that particular one walked away while we were in the water.

My identical Tilley hat has made many a kayak trip, raft float down whitewater rivers, hike in the woods, bike ride, and covered scruffy helmet hair after day-long motorcycle rides. It lives in the van, handy for whenever it might be needed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber