The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Neck Numbers Thoughts

I have a Santa Cruz 00 12 fret guitar that plays wonderfully. I have two actually. I measured the neck clearances on one today and the numbers are:

12th fret is .08 low E string

1st fret is .022 low E string

Neck relief at the eighth fret is
.006 low E
0 high E

Do these numbers sound correct? I don't want to change anything but I wonder what you make of these. Is it supper low on a guitar like this? Why would I set up a dreadnought differently? I use a heavy flat pick and finger picks.

Thanks

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2017, 05:05 PM

Low E action at the 12th is a bit low, but not outside the normal for some players with a light touch. I usually go about 0.09" to 0.095" on the sixth.
The first fret action is high. Action at the first should be 11% of the 12th fret action plus about 0.005". In other words, about 0.014". Ideal nut height is the same as the frets, but practically, it is usually set a bit higher. That is where the 0.005" figures in.
Distance between the nut and first fret is about 11% of the distance between the nut and the 12th fret.
Instead of measuring first fret action, I press the string down on the second fret, and look for minimal clearance over the first fret. If the nut is the same height as the frets, the string will just barely clear the first fret when doing this test.
I shoot for 0.006" relief, but it rarely measures exactly the same all across the fingerboard.
You would not necessarily set up a dreadnought differently. It just depends on the individual guitar, the strings used, and the playing style. Setup is an inexact science. Lower the action until buzzing becomes intolerable, then raise it a 'smidge'.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
1st fret is .022 low E string
This measurement is irrelevant... it conveys no useful information... your nut slot heights should be the same as the top of your first two frets.

The difference in relief between the E and e strings sounds fine. Somebody has taken extra care to get the reliefs different.

It would be interesting to know what the action on the e string is ...I am guessing it is probably .060"

If the instrument plays well with no buzzing the way you play it, then there is no problem.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to learn a little here as I plan on getting a dread I assume I will want the action set up.

When I pressed down the low E string between the 1st and 2nd fret the string was laying on the first fret. No movement.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

You want to press down between the second and third fret, and check the clearance at the first -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair