The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Cable questions

I know that just about any good cable will work fine (and I wish I kept all those cables I had back when I said I was never gonna perform again )...

So here I am looking to buy one years later and I have a few questions...

I see a lot more cables, like this one that interests me...

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...s+guitar+cable
...have the sealed plastic ends.

I remember back then that I thought plastic enclosed plugs were the cheapo's and I always insisted on the metal enclosed ends. Am I behind the times? Again?

Does 15' sound like a decent length? Not too long, not too short?

Do y'all prefer an angle plug for the guitar end (my guitars have endpin jacks) or straight plugs?

PS: I used to make a lot of my own cables back then, but I'm more than happy buying what I need these days.

Any thoughts, recommendations, musings, or any other advice that anyone thinks may be helpful would be....helpful.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM

If you're going to an amp's effects loop and it's in a tight spot, maybe go for right angle plugs. 15' ought to be good. I find myself feeling a bit "chained" when using 10 footers and tripping over loops when using 20 footers. I will not buy any cable with heat shrink tubing over the ends--in my experience, they have failed within a year or less. Livewire cables have a good warranty, won't break the bank, and have Neutrik connectors. I've had one 10 footer for 7 years and it's still going strong.

GC has Livewire 18'6" on clearance for $3.97. I'd grab a few if I didn't already have so many good cables.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I know that just about any good cable will work fine (and I wish I kept all those cables I had back when I said I was never gonna perform again )...

So here I am looking to buy one years later and I have a few questions...

I see a lot more cables, like this one that interests me...

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...s+guitar+cable
...have the sealed plastic ends.

I remember back then that I thought plastic enclosed plugs were the cheapo's and I always insisted on the metal enclosed ends. Am I behind the times? Again?

Does 15' sound like a decent length? Not too long, not too short?

Do y'all prefer an angle plug for the guitar end (my guitars have endpin jacks) or straight plugs?

PS: I used to make a lot of my own cables back then, but I'm more than happy buying what I need these days.

Any thoughts, recommendations, musings, or any other advice that anyone thinks may be helpful would be....helpful.
There's nothing wrong with a good quality plastic guitar plug and I happen to like Planet Waves. Most of these cables are sealed with epoxy I believe.

15 is the length I like for the reasons you stated

I very much prefer right angle plugs for my acoustics.

Making your own cables is still valid but like you I prefer to just buy regular guitar cable instead of making them. I do make my own cables when I need something specific like a dual source cable or pedalboard cables.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM

I have been using those cables for two years now and they have been fine, I prefer one angled end especially on my acoustic
20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught
Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM

So the Planet Waves cable seems to be available only...
With an angled end in 10' and 20' lengths,
But only with straight ends in the 15' length I want.

I hate it when life gets complicated.

Any love for the Mugig standard cable?
It comes in a 16' length with and angled plug end.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

I really like Mogami wire for my cables, and any high-quality connectors are fine... 15' is about right for length; any longer and you can start getting signal loss (unless you're running low impedance).

The brand name doesn't mean nearly as much as the materials used for the cable. I have both straight plugs and a couple with one 90 degree plug and one straight plug; there are times when the right-angle plug just doesn't work at all; I have never encountered a situation where a straight plug wouldn't do the job... but, of course, if I were using a pedal(s), I would have a short cord(s) for those...

Cables are one spot where it REALLY doesn't pay to go on the cheap... not if you have to count on the thing working at gigs... there's a direct proportion of cables breaking down to how much you pay for them, short of the preposterously expensive ones... spend your money ONCE!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 AM

Have to say, I LOVE the cables with silent jacks and since I started using them a few months ago, I wouldn't use anything else. They automatically mute as soon as you pull the cable out of your guitar. Especially useful at open mics when you start and finish, no more peering through the lights towards the sound guy and wondering if it's safe to unplug. No more bangs and squeals.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plug...gs/silentplug/
Old 09-18-2017, 05:08 PM

I make all my own cables and encourage everyone with basic soldering ability to do the same. I agree with the above post that if you are plugging in, cables are not the place to skimp. Not only from a reliability standpoint at the connectors, but from a signal quality standpoint to accurately transmit that beautiful tone you work so hard to create. I use the best cable and connectors available and sleeve all my cables in crush proof techflex for a fraction of the cost that big name audiophile cable companies charge. If there is one diy skill I can recommend it's definitely use of a soldering iron. You will save yourself gobs of money and can make some pretty nice equipment with minimal technical skill.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus1019 View Post
I make all my own cables and encourage everyone with basic soldering ability to do the same. I agree with the above post that if you are plugging in, cables are not the place to skimp. Not only from a reliability standpoint at the connectors, but from a signal quality standpoint to accurately transmit that beautiful tone you work so hard to create. I use the best cable and connectors available and sleeve all my cables in crush proof techflex for a fraction of the cost that big name audiophile cable companies charge. If there is one diy skill I can recommend it's definitely use of a soldering iron. You will save yourself gobs of money and can make some pretty nice equipment with minimal technical skill.
Atticus, could you share the specific cable and connectors that you use?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM

I make my own with Mogami W2524 cable and Neutrik NP2X-B connectors. You can also use the Neutrik silent type suggested above. I get the cable online from Redco and the connectors from Parts Express (no affiliation).

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/guitar/
http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/plugs-ja...-series/np2x-b
Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Atticus, could you share the specific cable and connectors that you use?
I am currently using the Mogami 2524 as well, but in the past have used Gotham and Canare cable. Wasn't a fan of the Gotham, but the Canare is really nice stuff too. I just love the over the top amount of shielding and insulation Mogami uses.

I also use the Mogami multi core cabling to make different configurations of utility cables, such as trs y-cables for my fx loop needs and I even made a 15 foot "snake" of sorts for my electric rig that has my pedal output and my fx send and return all inside one cable.

As far as connectors go I actually prefer the gold plated amphenol over switchcraft or neutrik because of the way they are built and their low profile right angle connectors are awesome. I am not currently using any of the silent connectors others have mentioned, but Amphenol makes those too.

Every cable I make gets sleeved in 1/4" techflex to protect against crushing or breakage and I use heatshrink below and on top of the techflex for security at the point of connection.

I recognize that all of this is massive overkill and that a planet waves or rapco cable gets the job done, but for about the price of your average brand name cable and a little bit of time and effort on my part, I would argue that I have a better cable than you could buy anywhere.

I can definitely back Redco Audio, their prices are great and their customer service is outstanding.

Last edited by atticus1019; 09-19-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM

I like the LiveWires for a couple reasons (and I agree and use the 15'ers).

1st - lifetime warranty. It took me about 7 years to finally break my cloth-covered LiveWire cable. I knew I bought it at GC...had no receipt, but took it there.

To my surprise, the salesman stated..."You can walk into any GC and swap this out?" Why, I ask? "LiveWire is a GC/MusiciansFriend branded line." You won't find them elsewhere that I know. And, with all the GC's all over...walk in...swap out...and go. It's that simple. They ran the $0 transaction through the register, but that was it. No questions asked.

2nd - They've been some long-lasting cables for me. I'll buy an in-the-moment spare and then swap out when convenient. Haven't bought a cable in a long time...nor have I needed to. LOL...and, no, I don't work for GC or know anyone that does either.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Solder fumes are a gateway drug. You start out making a few guitar cables... the next thing you know you're hand wiring a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe guitar amplifier. Just say no LOL
Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM

Default metal for me

I'm a fan of Planet Waves/D'Addario. I prefer the American Stage series. American made cable, Lichtenstein Neutric ends, assembled in America. I end up using right angle ends the most at the guitar, you can tuck it up around the lower bout and behind the strap to avoid snags. I use 10 footers, but I'm electric guitar into a pedal board on a tight stage so I'm never wandering more than a few feet.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Molded in connectors are OK, if they get screwed up you can replace them easy enough with Neutriks. I only use right angle plugs on my electrics that have a faceplate mounted jack. For a band situation I usually use 20-25' cables ... I can always make do with a longer cable, but I can't stretch one that's too short.

I prefer to buy my cables from suppliers that can tell me what brand and type of cable is used, what brand connectors are used, and can cobble up a cable in any length I specify. I like to use MarkerTek.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification