The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Yairi WY-1 String Saddles

Guys, I need a bit of help with a problem I created with my Yairi WY-1 years ago.

Shortly after I purchased the lightly used WY-1, I had all the strings off giving it a good cleaning and putting lemon oil on the fret board. Then I absent mindedly flipped the guitar over, dumping the string saddles onto the floor.

My WY-1 has six individuals string saddles, and none of them are marked in any way. I've never been able to figure out the correct way to get them all back into the bridge for proper string height and intonation.

Can anyone offer any guidance or good, clear images so I can finally get these string saddles back into my Yairi's bridge properly?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:25 PM

You need to know your fretboards radius

You also need to check the intonation of each string with a saddle fitted, if the intonation is out, swap with another saddle, if the fretboard radius is out, swap with a higher or lower saddle as required.

Its a pretty easy job, but, if you have never done it before, just take it to a local luthier and ask for a setup, it will get done at the same time

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Consider the ideal situation is to have the saddles arranged so that the strings are held in an arc generally aligned with the fingerboard - i.e. the first and sixth are lower than the second and fifth, etc.

Most likely the second string saddle apex would be oriented away from the neck, making the vibrating string somewhat longer for compensation.

Start with that handful of clues and you should be fine. Failing that - well, that's what professional guitar mechanics (luthiers, if you must) can help you with. . .

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair