The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-28-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Two type of strings are very uncommon nowadays and you might to try them out:

John Pearse folk strings. From theit website: “The bass strings E, A, d are round wound on a nylon core for a big warm sound without *distracting picking noises. The treble strings are flatwound nylon on a rope core and sound brighter than nylon strings.“

Secondly, going back to traditions: plein gut strings for trebles and silk wounded in silver for basses. You can try Dlugolecki for trebles and Aquila silk bass set. The best combination around, IMHO.
I'm going to try the Pearse Folk trebles. The Dlugolecki strings are very intriguing, but at their price, what if I were to get addicted to them? I have quite a few guitars.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I'm going to try the Pearse Folk trebles. The Dlugolecki strings are very intriguing, but at their price, what if I were to get addicted to them? I have quite a few guitars.
I order some Dlugolecki also few days ago.. addicting? Maybe.. but if your playing does not destroy gut strings (no polished nails, too strong technique, tuned at 440Hz or above etc),these last around 6 months. I was spending way more than 38 bucks (plus 18 for the bass set from Aquila) in simple strings every 6 months... I still do, because then I bought another guitar for nylons..
Old 08-28-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
Every once and awhile I search for 'better' strings and always immediately regret it. My Savarez 520r are my go to. They are the best strings for all my guitars.
On another forum, someone mentioned La Bella's rectified trebles before I saw your post, so I'll try those first, see if rectified is my thing.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Two type of strings are very uncommon nowadays and you might to try them out:

John Pearse folk strings. From theit website: “The bass strings E, A, d are round wound on a nylon core for a big warm sound without *distracting picking noises. The treble strings are flatwound nylon on a rope core and sound brighter than nylon strings.“

Secondly, going back to traditions: plein gut strings for trebles and silk wounded in silver for basses. You can try Dlugolecki for trebles and Aquila silk bass set. The best combination around, IMHO.
I just put those Pearse Folks (made by Thomastik-Infeld) on a 100 year old oak parlor. They are still settling, but have good volume and ring. They do feel different to me under hand, I haven't played wound trebles before. I got them mainly for an old beater classical that sounds pretty great with fluorocarbon trebles, but I'm waiting a bit to change those out. They're interesting, seem like they may have good potential on my nylons.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Based on hesson11's recommendation I tried a set of Aquila Alabastro strings on my classical. They certainly sound different that the Savarez Corrium Alliance strings I have used for several years now. I'd like to be able to listen to what they sound like "out in front" but I know no other nylon string finger stylists to hand my guitar to.

Dave
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Based on hesson11's recommendation I tried a set of Aquila Alabastro strings on my classical. They certainly sound different that the Savarez Corrium Alliance strings I have used for several years now. I'd like to be able to listen to what they sound like "out in front" but I know no other nylon string finger stylists to hand my guitar to.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I hope they work out for you. If not, well, they're not all that expensive. If you haven't, be sure to give them a few days to come into their own. In terms of knowing what a guitar sounds like "out in front," I approximate this by playing in front of a solid reflective surface just a few feet away. Perhaps you've tried this. Not perfect, but at least interesting.
-Bob
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

Strings, while they won't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, they can shape the sound of a guitar to some extent. For instance, if you have dull sounding trebles, a carbon string will brighten it and give it more focus-- but also can make for a thin sound. What I am saying is that guitars have their own personalities, and so what works with one guitar may not work with another. Additionally, my tastes may not be yours.. So, with the caveats my favor strings include Savarez Cristal Corum 500cr, normal tension. Paulino Bernabe's PB Strings (medium high tension), and Hermann Hauser III medium tension strings.

James (owner) zavaletas-guitarras.com
Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

You can add PB Strings (Paulino Bernabe) and Hauser strings (Hermann Hauser) to your list of special strings.

James

Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras
Old 09-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Hi Dave,
I hope they work out for you. If not, well, they're not all that expensive. If you haven't, be sure to give them a few days to come into their own. In terms of knowing what a guitar sounds like "out in front," I approximate this by playing in front of a solid reflective surface just a few feet away. Perhaps you've tried this. Not perfect, but at least interesting.
-Bob
I haven't tried that Bob, but I will soon. And, the Aquila Alabastro strings have been on for almost a month. So far I'm very pleased. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Dave
Old 09-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavaletas View Post
You can add PB Strings (Paulino Bernabe) and Hauser strings (Hermann Hauser) to your list of special strings.

James

Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras
I use low tunings, ie CDAdgc, and wonder which tension of Hauser would present its charactertics at their best. I guess the Bernabe is but one tension - what is its standout quality?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical