The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM

Cool Weekend with Joel Michaud

So, as some of you already know, I had the AMAZING opportunity of visiting Joel Michaud last weekend in his home base - Calgary, Alberta. I don't even know where to start... It was arguably the most memorable weekend I've had as I got to spend some quality time with my "Guitar Hero". Joel was a great host and we had a great time doing guitar stuff as well as non guitar stuff

Maybe I will just start off first with a quick tour of his shop. Those of you who have seen build photos taken in his shop might have noticed that his shop is exceptionally clean. He does not clean up his shop just for the photos, but is instead in a perpetual state of cleanliness!

First, the door to his workshop. As you can see, there is a make-shift knocker complete with a handle made out of one of his old necks which he had pulled out. Not sure if it's the same with most of the luthiers, but Joel makes A LOT of his own things which I shall feature in subsequent posts. I don't think there is a room in his house which doesn't possess something which he has made himself.

Opening the door, this is the first sight that you would see which you might recognise from his build photos

Looking left, this is where I imagine Joel spends most of his time

And looking right (that cupboard on the right is where he keeps the good stuff - finished guitars and closed bodies)

A quick look at the jigs he has made for his various models, all neatly lined up

And here you can see just how organised the man is. Sandpaper cut and sorted out based on their grit, and pre-made binding/purfling slotted into their respective holes

And lastly, a pretty good shot to give you an idea of how tightly radiused his backs are

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Having a picture in my head of where and how guitars are being made is fascinating, thanks for sharing! Nice shop...!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:54 PM

Geez Joel, do you make guitars or perform surgery there? :-)

That is the cleanest shop I've ever seen.

Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 PM

I have serious shop envy now.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Thanks for posting the pics Marcus, Joel noted to me that he enjoyed your visit as well. I too am in envy of his shop, and astounded by its cleanliness

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Having a picture in my head of where and how guitars are being made is fascinating, thanks for sharing! Nice shop...!
It is pretty cool indeed. There are so many tools required to build a guitar, I have no idea how people even get started in the first place! This is the 2nd workshop I've ever visited, the first being where your Buendia was being built

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
Geez Joel, do you make guitars or perform surgery there? :-)

That is the cleanest shop I've ever seen.

Steve
Well, you luthiers are kinda surgeons too in a sense with all the intricate work that you do with your hands. But you are right, it is even tidier than my bedroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDatlen View Post
I have serious shop envy now.
Better get to it then John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Thanks for posting the pics Marcus, Joel noted to me that he enjoyed your visit as well. I too am in envy of his shop, and astounded by its cleanliness
If I am not mistaken, your guitar is housed inside the middle drawer of the cabinet

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Thanks Marcus!

Thanks Marcus for those great photos. It's fun to see where the magic occurs.

I can only imagine how much fun the two of you had. You certainly bring out the best in each other. I look forward to your next video.

I also hope you're healed so you can attack that amazing guitar that Joel made.

;-)

OM-42
Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Here is Marcus last weekend checking out progress on a German Spruce - Madagascar Rosewood O-R that I have commissioned. Good things come in small packages.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM-42 View Post
Thanks Marcus for those great photos. It's fun to see where the magic occurs.

I can only imagine how much fun the two of you had. You certainly bring out the best in each other. I look forward to your next video.

I also hope you're healed so you can attack that amazing guitar that Joel made.

;-)

OM-42
Thanks OM42! It's slowly getting there! I can play a bit in moderation now

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Here is Marcus last weekend checking out progress on a German Spruce - Madagascar Rosewood O-R that I have commissioned. Good things come in small packages.

Is that a short joke?! hahah

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 AM

So when you're in a luthier's den, you will of course check out their wood stash. Joel has some pretty incredible wood and builds coming up. I shall be sharing some of my favourites and I hope their respective owners won't mind!

Some beautiful African Blackwood to start it off

And of course every luthier has to have Brazilian Rosewood in their stash (though Joel is trying to steer away from using such a scare and endangered resource)

Pernambuco - the aesthetics of this wood aren't for everyone but I am quite fond of it. Taps really well too!

Panama Rosewood - Joel's favourite tonewood as it taps like Brazilian Rosewood but without the issues of cracking

And here's a plank of quartersawn Padauk. It is my first time encountering such a tonewood and boy does it ring when tapped. It is potentially my favourite tonewood tap-tone-wise... lovely stuff!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 08-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing Joel's woodlocker...
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
You might need to take some of these Padauk pictures down from your thread or crop them. Not sure what a good old Calgary boy is doing with an Edmonton Oilers Hockey team clock on the wall, but if his neighbors find out, Joel's going to be in trouble trying to explaining it ... lol

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Nice shop Joel!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
You might need to take some of these Padauk pictures down from your thread or crop them. Not sure what a good old Calgary boy is doing with an Edmonton Oilers Hockey team clock on the wall, but if his neighbors find out, Joel's going to be in trouble trying to explaining it ... lol
I don't know enough about hockey to even pretend I know what you're talking about Joel's a player himself though!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks for sharing Joel's woodlocker...
Any time Bob. Joel is very fortunate to have about 10 upcoming builds in "The Tree" so I had the chance to see the raw sets in person. He probably has the most sets of "The Tree" after Jay Howlett himself

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 08-23-2017 at 07:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
alberta, calgary, joel michaud, michaud made