The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
What model Rainsong did you have?
I just went through thousands of pictures looking for my sales pictures of that guitar and couldn't find them. It was an N2 model, cut-a-way, not very big body, not very thick either, I think a 2015 year.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 07-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Sean.... thank you SO much for sharing that! Those two clips very clearly captured and reveal the tonal characteristics of the Shorty. I was impressed with the full, rich, vibrant tones and with your playing, particularly the finger style clip. It was inspiring indeed. Again, thank you. Those clips really did a lot to move me toward acquiring my first CF guitar!!!

I have played with a pick for nearly all of my playing experience (a good number of years), arpeggiating and strumming, but recent decided to develop my finger style skills in earnest. It's a challenge indeed. Your finger style playing in the second clip sounds amazing to me. Thanks again.
Hey thanks a bunch DHart- glad to provide some samples. I'm not trying to persuade you to RainSong as I really feel they speak for themselves and have their own unique offerings. If I had the money I would likely own several CFs from different companies!

Having said that, you can get a US made Concert Hybrid in either WS, Parlor, or OM at a very nice price point. The Concert Hybrid Series guitars have a black rosette instead of abalone, satin back and sides and a satin NS neck instead of gloss, and no shark inlays (just a jet black freboard with no markers at all). In other words, they have identical construction but with different aesthetic appointments which you might even prefer over the original Concert Series.

Why am I even telling you this? Because they are a deal, plain and simple . For example, there is a gently used CH OM on Reverb for $1321.77! That price includes shipping, electronics (LR Baggs Element) and a hardshell case. That is $600 less than I paid for my Shorty and mine didn't even ship with electronics (I did have the tuners upgraded to Gotoh 510s though- in Cosmic Black and they look killer )
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey thanks a bunch DHart- glad to provide some samples. I'm not trying to persuade you to RainSong as I really feel they speak for themselves and have their own unique offerings. If I had the money I would likely own several CFs from different companies!

Having said that, you can get a US made Concert Hybrid in either WS, Parlor, or OM at a very nice price point. The Concert Hybrid Series guitars have a black rosette instead of abalone, satin back and sides and a satin NS neck instead of gloss, and no shark inlays (just a jet black freboard with no markers at all). In other words, they have identical construction but with different aesthetic appointments which you might even prefer over the original Concert Series.

Why am I even telling you this? Because they are a deal, plain and simple . For example, there is a gently used CH OM on Reverb for $1321.77! That price includes shipping, electronics (LR Baggs Element) and a hardshell case. That is $600 less than I paid for my Shorty and mine didn't even ship with electronics (I did have the tuners upgraded to Gotoh 510s though- in Cosmic Black and they look killer )
The Hybrid models are very compelling and priced well. Is the Shorty the same body as the CH OM, but with 12 frets instead of 14 to the body? Is the Shorty also a hybrid with glass fiber or all-carbon fiber? The sound of yours is really nice!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The Hybrid models are very compelling and priced well. Is the Shorty the same body as the CH OM, but with 12 frets instead of 14 to the body? Is the Shorty also a hybrid with glass fiber or all-carbon fiber? The sound of yours is really nice!
If you like the sound of my Shorty you would like any of them- they will be exactly identical fundamentally, but I agree with you that they are great sounding guitars.

Yes, the Shorty is exactly the same as the CH OM.

The only difference is the rosette, and the finish on the back and sides- both guitars feature a carbon/glass hybrid weave back and sides with a unidirectional pure carbon fiber top. Also, all of the concert hybrid series are 12 fret to body (I don't believe they can be modified with the exception of electronics/ no electronics but hopefully if I'm wrong someone like Ted of L.A. Guitars can chime in). Here are a couple videos demonstrating one of each- I can't tell the difference other than playing styles and maybe the electronic gear used to record

The Shorty

The CH OM

Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
If you like the sound of my Shorty you would like any of them- they will be exactly identical fundamentally, but I agree with you that they are great sounding guitars.

Yes, the Shorty is exactly the same as the CH OM.

The only difference is the rosette, and the finish on the back and sides- both guitars feature a carbon/glass hybrid weave back and sides with a unidirectional pure carbon fiber top. Also, all of the concert hybrid series are 12 fret to body (I don't believe they can be modified with the exception of electronics/ no electronics but hopefully if I'm wrong someone like Ted of L.A. Guitars can chime in). Here are a couple videos demonstrating one of each- I can't tell the difference other than playing styles and maybe the electronic gear used to record

The Shorty

The CH OM

Sean... thanks; I've seen both of those. They are informative. But I think your recordings of the Shorty tops both of those. I only wish that your recordings included video! You could be a YouTube STAR.

Last edited by DHart; 07-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Sean... thanks; I've seen both of those. I think your recordings of the Shorty tops both of those. I only wish that your recordings included video!
Thanks again DHart. I'm trying to learn a Tommy Emmanuel song right now and it's killing me LOL!

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks again DHart. I'm trying to learn a Tommy Emmanuel song right now and it's killing me LOL!

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Tommy Emmanuel is one of my most favorite acoustic players. What an amazing musician he is. Clive Carroll is another. I know I'll never reach anywhere near their levels, but it is inspiring to watch them play. If you ever make a video of your finger style playing, I'd sure enjoy seeing it.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 AM

Hmmm...Here is a possibility that you might consider Dhart.

I noticed that jdinko & the kramster have both of the guitars that you are thinking about, and live in Arizona too...

Now I can't put words in their mouth, but I suspect that if you offered either of these fine gentlemen a steak dinner, they would let you play them?

You know how us guitar players love our food too...sigh...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Hmmm...Here is a possibility that you might consider Dhart.

I noticed that jdinko & the kramster have both of the guitars that you are thinking about, and live in Arizona too...

Now I can't put words in their mouth, but I suspect that if you offered either of these fine gentlemen a steak dinner, they would let you play them?

You know how us guitar players love our food too...sigh...
I think I already offered, but if not, I am now. Just PM me and we will arrange it. No steak needed.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM

Both Mark and John have generously offered to allow me to check out their guitars! So fortunate for me to be able to check out such a variety of CF guitars before purchasing! We will make some fun arrangements!

Thanks so much, guys!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Both Mark and John have generously offered to allow me to check out their guitars! So fortunate for me to be able to check out such a variety of CF guitars before purchasing! We will make some fun arrangements!

Thanks so much, guys!

Is there any reason you don't want a CA in the running? I thought the CA GX I played was better than all the rainsong and Blackbird I played that day. It's also a GA size.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Is there any reason you don't want a CA in the running? I thought the CA GX I played was better than all the rainsong and Blackbird I played that day. It's also a GA size.
Shadowfox... there is no particular reason re: my consideration of a CA guitar, other than that they just haven't had much presence showing up on my radar.

As I dig deeper, I can see that Composite Acoustics guitars should very much be considered. Thank you. The decision making process for a CF guitar gets ever more complex!

Last edited by DHart; 08-01-2017 at 01:07 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber