The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2017, 02:32 AM

Default Emerald wood veneer finish, question for Emerald Guitars

I just had a look at the pictures of this guitar. It has to be the most beautiful finish (to me anyways) of the Emerald guitars.
I've been considering purchasing an Emerald guitar as a retirement gift to myself, and when I saw the wood veneer finish I thought it was beautiful, but I wonder if this finish would affect the care needed to keep it looking beautiful. To me, the advantage of a Carbon Fiber guitar is basically not worrying about it being out in the cold, the heat or getting it wet, etc.
I thought of e-mailing Emerald Guitars directly but then I figured someone here might have the same question and by posting this here we would all get to see what the answer to my question is.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

The finish on my Emerald is extremely hard wearing and durable. When you touch it and feel it it does not even feel like the veneer was there. Personally I haven't had my X20 long enough but its been more than 6 months now and the veneer on mine still look great and I have not done anything to it. Unlike my prized wood guitars, they get a wipe down from me every time i finish playing them.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
I just had a look at the pictures of this guitar. It has to be the most beautiful finish (to me anyways) of the Emerald guitars.
I've been considering purchasing an Emerald guitar as a retirement gift to myself, and when I saw the wood veneer finish I thought it was beautiful, but I wonder if this finish would affect the care needed to keep it looking beautiful. To me, the advantage of a Carbon Fiber guitar is basically not worrying about it being out in the cold, the heat or getting it wet, etc.
I thought of e-mailing Emerald Guitars directly but then I figured someone here might have the same question and by posting this here we would all get to see what the answer to my question is.
This is a very thin piece of actual wood that is incorporated into the CF and the finish. You will never have to do anything with it at all and it is just as stable as the straight CF finished guitar. The durability is the same.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:04 AM

The veneer is impregnated with resin so it essentially becomes one piece with the rest of the top. I have had mine for the better part of 3 years and the beautiful finish is the same as the day I unpacked it.

In a nutshell, go for it!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey fellow Canuck! Yep, there are no concerns whatsoever, even if subjected to the Canadian climate. Emerald has produced guitars with an incredible range of wood veneers. Which in particular has got you smitten? So go ahead and contact Emerald...but to place an order.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Just clean it with a garden hose & shake it out...Works Well...(Not if it has electronics though)...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM

I have an older (2010, I think) X7 "life" (with a wood veneer - with the soundhole in the center), and I actually managed to chip a piece of the veneer about the size of a quarter off the lower bout (probably some impact -- not sure where exactly it happened, but I think it was on one of the many trips I've taken with it). At any rate, I simply smoothed over the area with epoxy and went ahead and played it after it dried with no problem.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I have an older (2010, I think) X7 "life" (with a wood veneer - with the soundhole in the center), and I actually managed to chip a piece of the veneer about the size of a quarter off the lower bout (probably some impact -- not sure where exactly it happened, but I think it was on one of the many trips I've taken with it). At any rate, I simply smoothed over the area with epoxy and went ahead and played it after it dried with no problem.
Am I reading this right? You joined in 2008 . . . . and this is your first ever post?

I am amazed!! You must be the post patient member I've ever read!

The X7 life . . . that must be back from the very earliest days of Emerald, maybe the first two or three years. I wonder what they used for veneer then? I'm thinking it might be different veneers today and the application process might have evolved also. It would be interesting to know.

What year was your Emerald made? Did you buy it directly from them?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Guest 928

I've been an Emerald fan for many years and I do not recall an early woody. I would love to see it.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post

I have one of those X7s too... Redwood... still looking great.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

Mr. K;

If you wood, a picture please.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Am I reading this right? You joined in 2008 . . . . and this is your first ever post?

I am amazed!! You must be the post patient member I've ever read!

The X7 life . . . that must be back from the very earliest days of Emerald, maybe the first two or three years. I wonder what they used for veneer then? I'm thinking it might be different veneers today and the application process might have evolved also. It would be interesting to know.

What year was your Emerald made? Did you buy it directly from them?
Here's a photo before it picked up it's "character mark":

Emerald by solimar95051, on Flickr

I bought it in 2014 from the original buyer -- who purchased it at the 2010 NAMM show. It was signed "Alistair Hay 2010" in silver sharpie (which has since worn off).

Not sure why I've not posted on this board before -- I'm a fairly frequent poster on TDPRI and the Mark Wein forum. I guess I figured that all the acoustic folks were a bit highfalutin' for the likes of me!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

"Highfalutin'"?? Nah, they let me hang out here, so there are apparently minimal standards.

It is interesting to see how the Emerald line has evolved.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Guest 928

That is a beautiful guitar. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I agree, a beautiful X7 !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber