The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Default high bonding double sided pads

Anyone know what to call or where to get the kind of strong double sided adhesive pads that are used to adhere pickup components inside a guitar … like the ones that come with the LR Baggs Lyric, Anthem or Dtar Wavelength Multi Source?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:47 PM

I have used blue tack (trade name blu-tak) to mount pickup heads in many instruments. Never lets go, but remains removable. I've had some installed for almost 10 years now, stuck to bridge plates or directly to the underside of the soundboard.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:00 PM

3m makes everything. Google
Old 07-01-2017, 06:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've used double sided carpet tape, available at your local hardware store. Not quite as thin as the stuff that comes with K&K pickups, for example, but almost as thin. Quite strong.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 07-02-2017, 06:41 AM

Pickguard adhesive is actually 3M 467MP. There are eBay sellers offering what are scraps from their production businesses that are larger than the typical pickguard (and therefore pickup) for less than $5 shipped. I recently tried a JJB 330 install with it and found the tone good but the output level too low for my preamp (back to Crazy Glue).

467MP uses an adhesive that bonds strongly (I know since I removed that pickup too) and their thinnest substrate. 3M has dozens of options with a thicker substrate, single/double sided adhesive, and a second adhesive option for surfaces that don't take glue well since they don't wet. 467MP is the one you want.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification