The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-27-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Paul Simon

I know he is a Martin guy, but I think he is the best all around singer, songwritter, guitar-player in the world. My question is, can anyone play "Hearts and Bones"? I really like that song, but have found it rather difficult, and there are a couple of chords that I don't know.

Also, if anyone has TABS for "Train in the Distance" could you e-mail them to me, I have had a hard time finding that one....
________
f650 single

Last edited by masmith; 02-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:34 PM

I too am a fan of Paul Simon. A very talented individual, a poet, composer and outstanding musician. One of my favorite performances is his rendition of Surfer Girl on the Brian Wilson tribute DVD. If you haven't seen it, treat yourself to it.

To your requests, Mark Hanson has a transcription book of some of Paul's songs. Very thorough and worth the price. Check Amazon for Paul Simon Transcriped. I haven't started Hearts and Bones yet, but it's in the book. I've been working on Surfer Girl.

As for Train in the Distance, here's a tab I found:Paul Simon Train in the Distance . Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 03-27-2004, 09:05 PM

Thank You very much, I'll give it a shot. My wife will probably figure it out fast than I...
________
cbr250

Old 03-28-2004, 09:15 PM

I haven't listened to "Hearts and Bones" in a long time so I don't remember the sound of it, but by that time Simon was using high-stringing quite a lot (also called Nashville tuning), and that might be throwing you. If you're not familiar with this tuning, the top three strings (high E, B, G) are normal, but the lower three are like the high ocatve strings of those courses on a 12-string.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Paul's tune "Kathy's Song" from his days with Artie was one of the songs (besides JD's Rock Mountain High) that finally gave me the motivation I needed to learn to play the guitar.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjs1214
I too am a fan of Paul Simon. A very talented individual, a poet, composer and outstanding musician. One of my favorite performances is his rendition of Surfer Girl on the Brian Wilson tribute DVD. If you haven't seen it, treat yourself to it.
I'll second that - simply brilliant!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William63
Paul's tune "Kathy's Song" from his days with Artie was one of the songs (besides JD's Rock Mountain High) that finally gave me the motivation I needed to learn to play the guitar.

Yeah, it is a miracle of fingerpicking genius!
________
ecigarettes

Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Mr Simon has long been one of my favorites, too. Kathy's Song was one of the first songs I learned. I still play it every day. Fun for fingerpicking. I use three fingers and thumb. Get some nice walking base work in there.
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Guitar Honey

I recently tabbed the song Scarborough Fair note for note for one of my students. It is the first song I have ever tabbed on the computer. I did it on a demo version of TablEdit, and recently paid to get the full version. I will have to tab it again in the full version in order to email it, but I could do this for anyone who wants it.

By the way, Paul Simon was my main guitar influence when I was a youngster, learning to play acoustic guitar. Many fond memories there.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:45 AM

Good job, Rebecca! I wanted to learn that for the longest time but could never figure out the starting point until I saw Simon play it once. I don't know why using a capo never occurred to me.... Oh well, live and learn. I've got it down well (probably a minor variation or two) but I don't get along well enough with tab to write it down, so I'm glad that more disciplined people like you are on the job.

Simon was an early influence for me too. I don't follow things perfectly (there's that discipline problem again) but his songs have always been a part of my repertoire, such as it is. "America" and "Everything Put Together Falls Apart" are among my favorites.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:58 PM

I like Scarborough Fair. I play it regularly, along with Kathy's Song. The one I have trouble with is Sounds of Silence. April, Come She Will is cool too. I have tried to play all of the first albums songs (The Sounds of Silence album). Some with better luck than others lol
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 03-30-2004, 03:07 PM

Sounds of Silence is actually pretty easy, because it's in Am/C (maybe with a capo?) and except for the opening and closing, Simon just strums it. The song was originally recorded for the album Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. with just an acoustic guitar, and while S&G were off doing something else, Columbia brought in studio musicians to add the electric guitar, bass and drums to make it "hipper" for top 40 radio.

BTW, if you want to hear a GREAT version of this song, look up the album called [i]Live Rhymin'" which was made in the mid 70s. Simon had the Jessy Dixon Singers along for that tour, and they do it slower and very soulfully. When Dixon sings "And in the naked light I saw..." it just about gives me chills. This was the same album on which Simon first recorded the new verse for The Boxer, which starts "Now the years are rollin' by me/They are rockin' evenly...." Great stuff.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:45 PM

Another one of his I love to fingerpick is "Under African Skies" from Graceland .

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell