The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-15-2004, 09:00 PM

Thumbs down My problem with ear monitors

Tonight we were practicing for playin in church on sunday, and we were using ear monitors. i had never used them before. i had always just paid attention to what the other acoustic guitarist was doing.

we started using the ear monitors and it messed me up completely. i had so much trouble trying to keep my rhythm with his. i dont understand why, too much going on in my head i guess. i must smite the ear monitors.
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-16-2004, 11:22 AM

They do take some getting used to. We've been using them for several months now, they are great for controlling stage volume. I had mixed feelings about them, and I still do. Our systems is set up so that each musician can control his/her individual monitor mix.

Are you hearing everything you need to hear, including yourself?

My only complaint after 6 months of using them is that things in general tend to sound compressed, even though there is no compression being used. It seems like there is not as much dynamic range as there is when we go with normal stage monitoring.

My Band!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:52 PM

you must say though that it looks alot cleaner on stage w/ in ear monitors.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:11 PM

im really hearing more than i need to hear. were practicing again saturday night, and im gonna see if i can get it so i can just hear me, the other acoustic, and a little bit of the vocals. if not, i might just not use it. i dont want to hear the electric guitar, and the bass, and the congas. its just too much when im trying to keep rhythm with 1 other person. i talked to the bass player at school today and he doesnt like them either.

the singer (she only sings) likes them though... i think... im pretty messed up today... i need spring break now.
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-16-2004, 03:51 PM

try just putting the lead singer's voice and the bass into your ear monitor. That might cut most of the confusion.

do you play backup acoustic?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by For Him
try just putting the lead singer's voice and the bass into your ear monitor. That might cut most of the confusion.

do you play backup acoustic?
sorta... me and the other acoustic guitarist are the ones who can mess around when it comes to playing.. we both just sorta do what we think will sound good, and for the most part it turns out good.

i wouldnt really call me backup though. id like to figure out how to get different strumming patterns from the both of us to sound good (if youve heard the song numb by shane & caleb then youll kinda understand what i mean. they have different patterns that makes a really cool effect)
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shane
sorta... me and the other acoustic guitarist are the ones who can mess around when it comes to playing.. we both just sorta do what we think will sound good, and for the most part it turns out good.

i wouldnt really call me backup though. id like to figure out how to get different strumming patterns from the both of us to sound good (if youve heard the song numb by shane & caleb then youll kinda understand what i mean. they have different patterns that makes a really cool effect)
I would suggest you make one or the other acoustic be lead guitar and the other be backup. If you don't have one leading then you won't sound your best.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I would suggest you make one or the other acoustic be lead guitar and the other be backup. If you don't have one leading then you won't sound your best.
i guess its really hard to describe how we play... hmm... not sure how to put it. i guess he kinda leads everything. i just make sure im playing something that sounds good over what hes playing.
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 PM

Quote:
i guess its really hard to describe how we play... hmm... not sure how to put it. i guess he kinda leads everything. i just make sure im playing something that sounds good over what hes playing.
Thats what a backup acoustic is supposed to do.....
BTW I listened to the song "Obsession" on your sight......did you record that?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Thats what a backup acoustic is supposed to do.....
BTW I listened to the song "Obsession" on your sight......did you record that?
heh, shows how much about band structure i know. yes, i did record that a very long time ago.
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-16-2004, 10:42 PM

I think they are great for singers, who always need their voice up way to much in the stage monitors. They can blow their brains out, listening to themselves sing in the in-ear monitors.

Other than that....I hate them.

Well, I don't hate them. But, in the wrong hands they can be very hard to use. Plus....things sound so different using any type of in ear monitor or headphone, because of how we percieve what we hear in that enviroment. Each ear acts as it's own speaker enclosure, and things tend to sound much more coloured in tone etc in that listening enviroment.

I prefer to hear the spacial sounds of intruments/vocals amplified and reverberating in the hall...as well as getting nice floor monitor feeds. That type of live feel, raises the little hairs on my neck when it is well balanced. I just love that sound.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:26 AM

ok, after playing in church today it was much, much, much better. just the acoustics and vocals goin into my head hehe.

it went really well, and the congregation really liked it... after the service was over and people started walking out, we played the chorus of the first song we played a few times, and after we stopped, people started clapping and coming up to us saying how much they liked how we play... the last song we did was awesome, i could hear the congregation singing over my ear monitors...

anyway, were gonna be playing the sunrise easter service i believe, cant wait
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
... the last song we did was awesome, i could hear the congregation singing over my ear monitors...
which song was it?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:30 AM

prince of peace. for some reason the usual band never did the girls part of it, and we taught it to them today.
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 03-21-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
prince of peace. for some reason the usual band never did the girls part of it, and we taught it to them today.
That song doesn't ring a bell........ What are the lyrics? or do you have it on a sound track?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell