The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Default Strap vs end pin? Emerald X20

I am totally digging my X20-12, but have a question about the end pin and straps. I have to have a strap.

Maybe it's dense, but how on earth is anyone getting a strap on? I only play accoustically, never had to deal with jacks or such. Up til now I buy a strap and off we go. It has to be easy to get on and off.

Tips? Ideas?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

To enlarge the end-pin hole in the strap, you can try inserting something bigger around than the jack-pin (a dowel, perhaps) after wetting the area around the end-pin of the strap and leave it in there for awhile.

You can also make a slit off the end-pin hole of the strap but stay within any reinforcing stitching.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM

I'm happy using a product called StrapKeeper from Tapastring. It's pretty ingenious and gets the job done. Here's their website for details: http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 AM

Sure enough - I have just been looking at the Tapastring, genius if it works! Glad to hear you like yours.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Guest 1478

I have just gone through this with my X20.

The Tapastring idea seems good. The leather retainer looks a little thin to me ( I over-engineer everything I make!) but I haven't heard of any failures.

If you don't plug in very often the "Strap-Jack" looks great.

If you do plug in often then the Acoustic Strap Secure"" is a good option.

If you go with either of the latter two I would suggest you get someone to punch a hole in your strap so-as to fit properly into the Baggs button groove. A 12mm hole fits mine perfectly.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

What am I missing here? Are the strap pins over-sized on the X20? I had an X20 awhile back and I don't recall having an issue with getting the strap on...
Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
What am I missing here? Are the strap pins over-sized on the X20? I had an X20 awhile back and I don't recall having an issue with getting the strap on...
Almost any guitar with an combination end pin / jack has a larger flange than a simple end pin. You have to enlarge or stretch the holes on your straps, or struggle with getting them on and into the "groove". I wrestle with this all the time, but less so with quality straps that have good soft leather ends.

My Emerald X20-12 should be here by Christmas. I expect to be able to use any strap that already works on my Rainsong or Taylor guitars with end pin jacks.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Almost any guitar with an combination end pin / jack has a larger flange than a simple end pin. You have to enlarge or stretch the holes on your straps, or struggle with getting them on and into the "groove". I wrestle with this all the time, but less so with quality straps that have good soft leather ends.

My Emerald X20-12 should be here by Christmas. I expect to be able to use any strap that already works on my Rainsong or Taylor guitars with end pin jacks.
Ah. I guess I've just used my leather strap for so long it's very well broken in and fits over anything with ease - including the X20 I once had!!

Can't wait to get my X20 Custom in. If I live that long. The wait is literally killing me!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
I'm happy using a product called StrapKeeper from Tapastring. It's pretty ingenious and gets the job done. Here's their website for details: http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
Gotta second that. Great little accessory.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:24 PM

Well personally I HATE endpin jacks and all the dohickies that have been invented to try and keep your strap secure while using them. Especially if what you really want is a Schaller strap lock. So on any guitar that already has an endpin jack I just add a Schaller end pin nearby. Martin has started installing separate endpins and jacks some of their guitars, and it is a great idea that everyone should follow.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Guest 1478

I did this with my Taylor but I find the schallers rattle a bit as I move around.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:05 PM

I am also an advocate of having separate jacks and end pins on acoustics.

Hopefully the OP has found a solution in the 14 months since he enquired...
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Super-thick and/or padded straps like some of the Levy models can be very hard to get on and off a combo endpin/jack.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple straps that didn't want to go over the endpin on my Taylors. I wet the leather a bit, put a nickle on either side of the hole, and squeezed it overnight with vice-grips. The strap goes on easier and stays in place.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have a couple straps that didn't want to go over the endpin on my Taylors. I wet the leather a bit, put a nickle on either side of the hole, and squeezed it overnight with vice-grips. The strap goes on easier and stays in place.
Lots of ways to get a thick strap on with some fussing around. Problem comes when you transport the guitar frequently and the strap has to come off to fit properly in the case. Then you are faced with fighting with it on the other end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber