The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders4617 View Post
Ordered a 4 pack of Wegen bluegrass picks. Gonna see how I like those. Not sure if I can spend $20-40 for 1 pick until I can be sure I won't lose it haha.

I'm gonna keep working on right hand technique and see what happens.

I'm trying to keep from anchoring my hand on bridge. I'm so use to playing electric and using my hand to help mute unwanted string noise.
Many people like the Wegens, and the grip holes should help you hold it more securely, without slippage.

best of luck,
scott
Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 PM
Guest 1511

The rare times I use a pick, on songs you just can't really play without one, I use one of the blunt, rounded corners. I like those edges because I hate how the point can sometimes give me just a bit too much resistance. You see, I stink at using a pick, and just those little things throw me off.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Wegen Bluegrass are a no go for me. They are super bright and bigger than what I was using. Back to drawing board and find another to try.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Wegen Bluegrass are a no go for me. They are super bright and bigger than what I was using. Back to drawing board and find another to try.
Sorry the Wegens didn't work for you.Two more suggestions:

1) Dunlop Primetone
2) Jon Pearce Fast Turtles

The latter is made from a material we use as well, called casein, noted across the industry for its smoothness in the upper register and overall warmth and balance.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Old 03-31-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
One thing that has worked well for me is to modify the Triangle Primetones so that they have a point, a rounded point, and a rounded edge, all speed beveled. Sort of a tone control built into the pick.

HHP - is that speed bevel only on one side of the pick? I've got to try that.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:43 PM

Oh wait - I just found your thread how to do it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359386

Thanks

Last edited by Placida; 03-31-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM

Turn the pick as you're playing to hit the strings on an angle. (Seamlessly moving up and down the strings instead of hitting them perpendicular with the pick).

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I've been playing a long while, and have always held the pick so that I use the point on the strings. Never been an issue because I've never really gotten into flat picking or really fast playing.

I've started diving into flat picking now and I am starting to hate the point of my pick lol. I don't know if I just need to keep going with it and trying to work past it or if I just go ahead and convert to the round side. With the round side, I am much much smoother and I am not getting the pick too far into the strings.

Anybody else with this experience? I know there is no wrong or right way, but I get kinda ill at myself - like I am using a crutch.
HHP here is a wealth of pick knowledge, not only how to shape or bevel edges but the tonal characteristics of the various materials on the market.

Best of luck....

sm
Old 03-31-2018, 09:17 PM

Try a Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL or Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.0 or thicker. Thick picks with a sharp point, jazz shapes being my favorite, are essential for fast picking. If you need practice at picking with the tip of the pick try stylus picks.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:43 AM

In my experience having trouble with a pick can usually be remedied by changing how the player holds the pick. As a bass player (also) the issue comes up often among bass players who play with their fingers and find they "can't" play with a pick when they decide to try it. With no guidance they grab the pick in any number of "incorrect" ways, and then struggle with poor attack, lack of control, etc.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
Tony Rice used to cut or trim his pick points with a pocket knife to customize the point (and probably still does) so there are many different approaches....
Obvious TR fanatic question is: what kind of pocket knife, is it still in production, color and material of handle, pointed tip or rounded. Must do everything exactly as the master!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-05-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DissonantTimbre View Post
Try a Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL or Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.0 or thicker. Thick picks with a sharp point, jazz shapes being my favorite, are essential for fast picking. If you need practice at picking with the tip of the pick try stylus picks.
I use Fender 358 jazz picks. Thin. Almost like playing with your fingers, with just a tiny bit of pick thrown in. Played with just a sliver of pick and a whole lot of finger/thumb.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I use Fender 358 jazz picks. Thin. Almost like playing with your fingers, with just a tiny bit of pick thrown in. Played with just a sliver of pick and a whole lot of finger/thumb.
I never knew this shape before. I've learned recently that this is a popular shape with a large number of players. Who knew?

sm
Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Can a bevel be put on Dunlop Ultex material? I understand it is very very hard and for me they don't wear at all. I tried "a little" with an emory board with no luck.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very easily. If you want some tips, PM me here, or also contact HHP, who does more it than I do. First thing: Get a sampler pack of black 3M wet-n-dry sandpaper, like 400-600-800-1000. If you're new and experimenting, best not to go below 400. A little water and experimentation and you'll get it done.

Good Luck,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion