The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Help: Guitar bulging behind bridge

So, my Taylor GS6 is about to go in for some work, as soon as I get an amp sold, to get some frets replaced and then setup. In the meantime, I was looking at it, and I haven't been happy with the action being higher than it used to be. As I looked at the top of the guitar, looking to see if it was bulging, I can see it is raising up a slight amount. I can feel it when I run my hand across it.

Question....Does the truss rod just need to be tightened to lower the action? If so, will the top go back down on its own, or do I just need to live with it? I know when I take it in soon, they can check all of that out, but trying to see if there's anything I can do in the meantime.'

FWIW, I'm using mediums on it, which it should be setup for. But, now that I think about it, when I bought it used 7 years ago, I never asked what strings it was setup for. I just assumed mediums and have been using mediums. Maybe it's been setup for lights and the extra tension is pulling on the bridge?
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)

Last edited by taylorman22; 09-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM

The truss rod won't have any effect on the top bellying up behind the bridge, so don't bother trying to crank that down.

When a guitar top starts to belly a little bit, it might be a sign of a problem, or it might not. Plenty of guitar tops pull up and get a bit of a belly, then go no further. Some folks call this "top loading," and feel that it's a good thing - provided it doesn't go too far. On the other hand, the top bellying up like that can be a sign of a loose brace or some other structural problem. In either case, it's a good idea to get a pro to look at it for you, particularly if it continues to rise. If that's the case, take the tension off the strings, then take it in.

As for medium gauge strings, if you've been using them for seven years now on this guitar, I wouldn't worry about it. If the mediums were the culprit, this (possible) problem would have manifested itself years ago.

So take it in to a good repair tech, and see what's going on with it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 PM

You could build a guitar anywhere. It doesn't have to be behind a bridge.

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 AM

Have you checked your environmental humidity? It might be too wet.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
.Does the truss rod just need to be tightened to lower the action? If so, will the top go back down on its own, or do I just need to live with it? I know when I take it in soon, they can check all of that out, but trying to see if there's anything I can do in the meantime.'

The short answer is no, nothing to do right now. And all those setup questions are appropriate to ask when you take it in.

Asking for specific advice in an Internet forum is generally likely to lead to more confusion than clarity because those of us who can do competent diagnosis need to have the instrument in hand to do so. . .

Frank Ford
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
The short answer is no, nothing to do right now. And all those setup questions are appropriate to ask when you take it in.

Asking for specific advice in an Internet forum is generally likely to lead to more confusion than clarity because those of us who can do competent diagnosis need to have the instrument in hand to do so. . .
Ok thanks. Does the top. Aturally pull up a little bit? I guess I've never really noticed before. I decided to look just out of curiosity, and I had to look and look and look and look to really tell, and it really is minimal, but is there.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Some pull (aka 'belly') is normal. If it is more than 1/4", then it may be a problem. Extreme bellying can cause the action to raise.
Lowering the saddle will reduce the torque on the bridge, which reduces the tendency to belly. Lighter gauge strings also help.
A bowed neck can also be the cause of higher action, and that can be addressed by tightening the truss rod.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
Ok thanks. Does the top. Aturally pull up a little bit? I guess I've never really noticed before. I decided to look just out of curiosity, and I had to look and look and look and look to really tell, and it really is minimal, but is there.
Yes.

Most bridges have a bit of rotation happening under tension. Over years and exposure to different climatic conditions this rotation can increase.

Rotation can also increase, due to a loose fitting bridge, excessive saddle projection, broken braces, loose braces, loose kerfing, the list is endless.

Sometimes excessive rotation can be indicative of an overly thinned top at manufacture, or someone over zealous in refinishing a guitar top. In this situation we make a new top.

I have 3 guitars in for new tops, 1 is for excessive bridge rotation.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair