The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I've had my OF660 for a while now. The mechanism needs to be tighten a lot to get he best tone. Once you get it very tight it gets and stays in tune. I've taken it down and put it together a fair amount and noted no degradation of the mechanism. It is very well made and sturdy.

I leave the guitar disassembled in it's case in my car as my just-in-case guitar and I'm still shocked every time I put it together and it's perfectly in tune even when it's been sitting there disassembled in the hot and/or cold car for weeks and months! I still get a kick out of it.

I'm going to miss it when it's gone!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 PM

Hi Frets,
FWIW I got to play one in Ted's shop a couple years ago and was impressed for what it was, well set up and good playability and tone. I was impressed with the neck attachment mechanism and usage and would not hesitate to get it for that. In my rather unique situation I would have a harder time flying with the backpack than a small gig bag, which fits the cockpit better than an extra carry on size bag.
I went with a Rainsong Shorty, and it has been excellent as well as opening up the CF world to me. The Shorty is almost a Taylor GC with a slightly thinner body and somewhat fatter neck, although much lighter. I transition easily between the two. Since then my GS mini is mostly reitired.
Having seen you on UTGF and knowing something of your travel needs I would be sure to check out Rainsong.
I have since bought an Emerald X20 and just last week a Blackbird Lucky 13. I have found the Emerald not ideal for fingerstyle and if going that way would order it with a shorter scale and maybe even the Taylor profile neck, which they will do for an up charge. The X20 may have the best overall voice to my ear for strumming and singing though.
The Lucky is still brand new to me but very nice for fingerstyle, good scale length and string spacing for me and a bit smaller than the shorty so really great for travel.
Enjoy your Elderly pilgrimage,

Last edited by Frettingflyer; 08-03-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Updated OF660 and X20 opinions
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Just to be clear, I was referring not to Elderly, but to Johnny5's "closest dealer" (or the salesperson) as being ill-informed about the OF660.

I'm very happy with my OF660, and agree that the locking mechanism works quite well.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Hi Frets,
FWIW I got to play one in Ted's shop a couple years ago and was impressed for what it was, well set up and good playability and tone. In my rather unique situation I would have a harder time flying with the backpack than a small gig bag, which fits the cockpit better than an extra carry on size bag.
I went with a Rainsong Shorty, and it has been excellent as well as opening up the CF world to me. The Shorty is almost a Taylor GC with a slightly thinner body and somewhat fatter neck, although much lighter. I transition easily between the two. Since then my GS mini is mostly reitired.
Having seen you on UTGF and knowing something of your travel needs I would be sure to check out Rainsong.
I have since bought an Emerald X20 and just last week a Blackbird Lucky 13. I have found the Emerald not ideal for fingerstyle and if going that way would order it with a shorter scale and maybe even the Taylor profile neck, which they will do for an up charge.
The Lucky is still brand new to me but very nice for fingerstyle, good scale length and string spacing for me and a bit smaller than the shorty even so really great for travel.
Enjoy your Elderly pilgrimage,
Great info, thanks Dave. Gonna check out the others too!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Just to be clear, I was referring not to Elderly, but to Johnny5's "closest dealer" (or the salesperson) as being ill-informed about the OF660.

I'm very happy with my OF660, and agree that the locking mechanism works quite well.
That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I'm going to get to Elderly next week and hopefully try one of these out. I'm new to carbon fiber.

I'm a 99% fingerpicker and am intrigued by this for travel. Anyone want to share their thoughts on them?

Tone, volume, playability, etc.

Over time, how does the mechanism hold up? Is the "set-up" affected by the attaching/dettaching process?

Thanks.
In the interest of saving bandwidth, check my opening post on this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474428

Peter
Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM

Yep sad that I couldn't find anyone closer. Frets4fun you are SO lucky to be near Elderly. The dealer I went to in LI was the only one under 100 miles away that had them in stock (that I found). Really disappointing, I won't slam the dealer as they seemed high end and had some nice stuff. Clearly the person manning the station was(is) completely uninformed on the Journey stuff. At the end of the day I'm very happy with my RS P12 for gigging, and ultimately that was my immediate need. I have the Alpaca for the throw in the car/campfire/boat paddle guitar... I'll have to check out the OF660 again hopefully at a better (and hopefully closer) dealer at some point. I am totally onboard with the concept and it'd be nice to have something to fly with a bit easier. And it definitely sounded good, just need to make sure it meets my playability preferences. I mostly flatpick and like to use a lot of fast runs so the action HAS to be low and flat for me. Need to find and play one at a dealer that pays more attention to what they are selling or find a local AGF'er! lol
Old 08-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I have since bought an Emerald X20 and just last week a Blackbird Lucky 13. I have found the Emerald not ideal for fingerstyle and if going that way would order it with a shorter scale and maybe even the Taylor profile neck, which they will do for an up charge. The X20 may have the best overall voice to my ear for strumming and singing though.
The Lucky is still brand new to me but very nice for fingerstyle, good scale length and string spacing for me and a bit smaller than the shorty so really great for travel.
I concur with what FF said and I am interested on his comparison of the shorty and the lucky. That said, the X20 was my introduction to CF and has been my go to guitar since arrival, but I still love to sit down and finger pick the afternoon away with the Lucky 13. I am interested in the Journey too, so I am following the comments here just in case I get an itchy finger.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I just received one from Ted, and it came with two saddles. I did think they were a bit loose, so I fitted a Taylor style saddle into the bridge, and it stays put. Between that and adjusting the truss rod, I've got a nice 6/64 (low side) 5/64 (high side) action on the guitar.

The only thing I have noticed as far as the setup is concerned once the neck has been placed onto the guitar is to check the string spacing at the bridge. Sometimes, the strings have a tendency to stay in place place where ever they happen to lay after re-attaching the neck and the spacing will be a bit off.

Now, I do check the spacing before clicking in the neck.

D
Yes, this is my experience exactly. Overall, I am very happy with the guitar, and it gets a lot of playing time.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Frets,

Hey FF, I loved the Rainsong Shorty. The tone, feel, was great. A little thicker neck than my Taylors, but not bad. Nice tone! I was impressed. If I jump into the CF world, that would probably be the one. Played all the others they had. All were good, but the Shorty caught my attention.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 AM

Just jumping into the thread having made similar journey over the years looking for a travel guitar to keep me happy when away from my Martin OM. Having owned multiple Blackbirds, emerald x5/x7 Amicus, Rainsongs, KM and cargos. The only guitars that have remained are my Rainsong Jumbos 1000 & 3000 (12 string) & BTU which still give me goosebumps on first strum. Strangely all others have moved on even my trusted Martin OM and still do not have a travel guitar that gives me goosebumps on first strum. Perhaps I need to start that journey again...the ear is a fickle thing....
Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
Hey FF, I loved the Rainsong Shorty. The tone, feel, was great. A little thicker neck than my Taylors, but not bad. Nice tone! I was impressed. If I jump into the CF world, that would probably be the one. Played all the others they had. All were good, but the Shorty caught my attention.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it!
Glad to hear you found a shorty to try and liked it. I know they just discontinued the shorty but there is a replacement that is actually cheaper if I understand correctly. You might check with Ted, but I think the CH-OM1100NS is the old Shorty model? Of course, if you run back to Elderly you can get the Shorty that "spoke" to you.
Looking forward to seeing another member of the CF guitar family

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber