The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Recommend some (hopefully) affordable acoustic effects (solo Hymn/P&W setting)

I already have a portable, rugged pedalboard, a very nice Alvarez AG610 with the Baggs system and a Para DI. I've got a basic SoundTech PA that is big enough for just my vocals and guitar if I need it, and there will be more than a few places where I use house sound.

I want to add

Reverb (preferably with a modulated setting*)

Delay (*with a modulated setting if the mod delay is better than a mod reverb)

Tuner (preferably one that mutes the output signal when activated, but that's not a big deal)

Chorus (for some very light ambient effect)

I've seen the Joyo/Rowin/Mooer and other cheap effects on eBay and Reverb. I baby my gear and would have no problem doing without any of these if they were cheaply priced and didn't last.

Let's say the budget is $150 all in.

I've got decent in/out and connector cables, a One-Spot with a daisy-chain connector and the aforementioned pedalboard which will have more than enough room for the little skinny pedals I've been looking at.

The music is hymns and choruses with the occasional (rare) Hillsongs/Passion-type songs that require more ambiance because they have more riffs or figures on the changes rather than block chords.

90% of the time, I'm either strumming chords with a bit of open-string drone/pedal-tones when I can, or I'm fingerpicking quieter songs.

All that to say this will be solo unless I happen to invite another singer or perhaps a violinist or similar to play with me, but there will be very few times when what I do alone on the guitar is not front, center and solo.

I've read some good things about some of the cheaper pedals, and I've read that some of the digital stuff was meh and the analog stuff was better. I'd like to strike the best balance between cheap price (by absolute necessity) and good consistent tone and reliability.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pineapple Pete; 07-04-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: grammar.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Best option (in my opinion) to do everything you want, is a Zoom A3. You can find one used for around $150.00 in great condition. I just purchased one and really like it. I tried several different options and this is the best for my purpose so far. I have a Martin D-16 with an LR Baggs Anthem SL.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 PM

I play in church settings 3x per week and my go-to pedal board has a boost pedal (used for fingerstyle so I don't have to mess with the volume knob), a Mooer Baby Water chorus/echo pedal which is the best, and from GFS: their tuner, which can mute but I leave it on pass through, Retro Reverb, which I don't love, and their chorus pedal, which is pretty good. Some well known worship leaders in my area sing high praise of the Behringer Reverb Machine which I happen to own. I just haven't taken to it yet, but for ambient sounds it has a space feature which is amazing. My main pedal board has a Carbon Copy delay and a TCElectronics Arena reverb, both of which I love. It also has a Boss chorus pedal which is OK.

I also happen to own a Zoom G3x which for acoustic is really not the best sounding to my ears.

You have the right idea for what pedals to get. Now it's just a matter of trying them out and see which ones sound good to you with as close to your rig as you can get. I'd suggest getting into a GC or Sam Ash store and trying as many as you can with your guitar and an acoustic amp, or pa system.

FWIW, the modulation on either reverb or delay sound the same to me.

And that Mooer Baby Water chorus is the one I almost always use in the p&w setting.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM

For the $150 budget, I'd get the Behringer Reverb Machine, the Mooer, and save for a tuner or try to find a used boss TU2 which I've seen for $20 on CL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification