The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Dry sounding guitars?

So I have a Yamaha A3 which I really enjoy. I think the guitar sounds great and sounds fantastic plugged in. When I play by myself. However I've been playing more and more at church lately with a piano, another guitarist and a few vocals. In this context my guitar stars sounding too resonant and I don't really know how to describe it but I start preferring my friends sound. His guitar is much drier sounding and does fine in a band setting. When we just set down and play individually I prefer my guitar but it's like the more stuff that goes on the worse it sounds. I know some guitars have a drier sound naturally like mahagony, but is there anyway to help this when I'm plugged in? Maybe through EQ? I'm already cutting the bass down a bit..
Old 07-01-2017, 11:00 PM

Lots of variables here.

What's your signal path?
What's the other guitar's?
What is the other guitar?
What is its pickup system?
Are you hearing this difference in the mains? In the monitors? IEMs?
And on and on.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:15 AM

My chain is A3R into an EQ which is a boss GE7 with the lowest two bands lowered some. Then into my Roland AC-33 amp with just a touch of reverb. The other guitar is plugged into the same amp temporarily as we had a cord go bad and had to use one output from the amp for both of our signals.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

First thing I'd try is adding a little compression. I'd try either a decent compression pedal designed for acoustic guitar, or, even better, the TC Electronic BodyRez.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
My chain is A3R into an EQ which is a boss GE7 with the lowest two bands lowered some. Then into my Roland AC-33 amp with just a touch of reverb. The other guitar is plugged into the same amp temporarily as we had a cord go bad and had to use one output from the amp for both of our signals.
What is the other guitar? What is its pickup?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 AM

The other is a seagull s6. It has an aftermarket fishman magnetic soundhole pickup idk the exact model. My guitar sounds much more natural plugged in but as more stuff starts going on his is more clear just seems to work better..
Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 AM

I know exactly of which you speak. I have a similar issue in our church band when I use my Eastman Rosewood Dread, it really gets lost in the mix and sounds muddy. I quit using it. The other acoustic guitar player has an older Mahogany Guild Dread with some kind of Piezo in it and he overpowers me all day long. His guitar sounds "less than stellar" by itself acoustically or electrically but cuts hard in the mix when plugged in.
I have taken to using my Eastman E 10 OO Adirondack/Mahogany which has a Fishman I-Beam installed in it through my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/D.I.
The Platinum Pro has a compression, boost switch and a gain control aside from the normal EQ functions...awesome piece of equipment for any scenario!
Now I can adjust my guitar onstage and blow his doors off if I choose and be heard in the mix.
(I also tell the guy at the board to leave his paws off the levels on my guitar ) Depending on who is running the board, sometimes they comply.
The two acoustics are also in the same channel for the stage monitor and that issue still exists.
You might need to use a Mahogany sides and back guitar, or get yourself a Platinum Pro.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-03-2017 at 06:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
dry sound, mix