The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-15-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Wandering : James Taylor

Does anyone have the Chords to Wandering by James Taylor? I have seen the tabs but I don't want to learn it exactly as he played it. I can't figure some chords because the changes are a bit subtle. Any help would be great!

Bill
Old 03-15-2004, 04:45 PM

I have four JT music books. No Luck. I also looked in the usual spots on the net and no luck there also. Sorry.

Good Luck

Chris
Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
drickard

Been a long time for me on that one, but I'm pretty sure it's along the lines of this.

A:
x0220-20 (hammer on the 2nd string at the right spots, alternating bass between the A and E (open 5 and 6 strings)

C#-7:
x4x454

C#-11:
x4x452

C#-11/G#:
4xx452 (likewise with moving the root for C#7/G#)

F#7:
2xx352 (2xx354 adds 9)

B-7:
x2x232

B-11:
x2x230

B-11/F#:
2xx230

E7:
0xx130 (0xx132 adds 9)

Esus (actually D triad/E)
0xx232

JT does a lot of ii-V changes by playing the minor, then the minor with the 5th in the bass, then the V chord, like on B-7 to E7:
x2x23x 2xx23x 0xx13x

The B-7 gets 2 beats, the B-7/F# and E7 get one beat each. That's the characteristic of Wandering, doing that from C#-7 to F#7, then B-7 to E7, as what's commonly referred to as a downstep progression -- the same thing played down a step.

The other characteristic of this song is the last phrase of each verse, going from A to B-7 to C#-7 to D to D triad/E to the hammer-on lick on A.

Hope that helps!

Dave
Old 03-20-2004, 07:27 PM

is this the traditional folk tune with the words

"daddy is an engineer, brother drives a hack" etc....

I'm guessing it is by the chord changes above...

William63, have you figured out some simpler changes yet?

I somehow get the impression you were looking for more straightforward chord changes than above...

Mark Hanson does it in his The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking....

can you sing it down in C?....because you then get (what I think) is a better voicing on the sus chord at the end....and you've gotten nothing but open chords...

he just plays

C 4beats

to

Em or Em7 4 beats

to

Am 4beats or Am 2 beats to C/G to beats

to

F (2 beats) then G (2 beats) (or F (1beat)to C(1 beat) to G 2 beats))

(sorry (about that (all those parentheses)))

to

C 2beats to Dm 2beats

to

Em 2beats to Fmaj7 2beats (Fmaj7 since the melody note is E at that point...at least in the version I'm looking at....)

to

F/G 2beats to G7 2 beats

to

C

you wouldn't have to do the F/G 3x321x

the F/G is sort of like a G7sus.....

when you play a typical G7 you're playing some combination of the notes

G, B, D, and F or just G, B, and F and it's the note B, the major third of the chord, that gives the overall majorish sound to the G7....

the F/G doesn't have the note B in it like a typical G7 chord would....

F/G 3x321x the notes G,F,A,C low to high

vs

G7 3x300x with note B on the 2nd string...

in the measure where the F/G and the G7 are played, there is no melody note B sung...so you're free to use the sus chord if you want....

it would be fine if you just played a G or G7 chord 4 beats instead...they all work...how much movement you want is up to you...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

Last edited by mapletrees; 03-20-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:50 AM

I usually capo this up 3 or 4 frets. But the opening "A" chord is a fifth fret E barre chord structure with the low A and the E( fifth)bass note alternating on the low e string. Then dowwn to the C#m etc

Bigsbee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell