The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 PM

Default Shopping a Gibson luthier in midwest

Today I had to pull my 59 J50 project that went 8 months at a luthier with no work done, I tried to end it amiably so that someday when that business is stable -and it will be- and I need a setup I can do so. Details of why dont really matter now. On them. Movin on.

That being said, I need luthier references for repairs on this guitar. I had been quoted to repair/cleat a top crack- upper bout to bridge, reset bridge, bone saddle, fix headstock crack from former repair, sand and buff headstock, refret 5 frets.

I live in Iowa. I am reaching out to Marty Reynolds in Mpls. Who else? I heard Gibsons oldest most experienced luthiers are no longer working and turnover have put younger ones in place.

Any names and bonafied experiences? Is this the right place to ask? Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 AM

Its possibly more fruitful to ask players rather than repairers / builders, in regards to who they would recommend.

Asking the same question in the general section, I would think you should get some good responses from people who have actually had work done by specific luthiers on there guitar.

Sorry to hear about your current situation.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair