The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default String advice for Martin OMCPA4?

Just got a new OMCPA4. After an ill-advised foray into polyweb custom lights, I got some lifespan 80/20 lights on sale. They sound ok. Could I do better? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 08-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Guest316

Human Beings have no business choosing guitar strings for an instrument - only the guitar can decide what works lol. I'm fond of John Pearse lately on my Bird, and the Epi goes for D'Addario EXPs. Your circumstance requires experimentation - Take the next 6 months and go wild with all kinds of different string brands, and let the guitar decide. Remember: Martins are smarter than Humans.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM

It depends on what you are looking for. I keep Martin strings on my Martins. I haven't played around with a lot of Lifespan strings but have used the SP (4100) strings for years. They come in the 4100+ coated as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

I put on a set of Elixir nanowebs .012-.053. So far so good. I had these on my ovation and they sound good here too so we shall see. Other suggestions most welcome.

Taylor 317

Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Just got a new OMCPA4. After an ill-advised foray into polyweb custom lights, I got some lifespan 80/20 lights on sale. They sound ok. Could I do better? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
When I owned my GPCPA4, my absolute fav on that guitar were the DR Sunbeam PB Mediums in 12-54 gauge.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
When I owned my GPCPA4, my absolute fav on that guitar were the DR Sunbeam PB Mediums in 12-54 gauge.
I'll order a set. But the dang flab elixirs are easily good for a few months!! Quite the quandary !

Taylor 317

Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 AM

Go to GC. Get a string club membrship for twenty bucks. Gets you $5 towards strings every month for a year. Try a different brand each month. John Pearse for sure in different gauges and PB vs 80-20. Markely vintage. EXP's fer sure-- like them better than elixirs. Go nuts. If you're considering custom lights for some reason try Martin silk & steel lights.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey tuning View Post
Go to GC. Get a string club membrship for twenty bucks. Gets you $5 towards strings every month for a year. Try a different brand each month. John Pearse for sure in different gauges and PB vs 80-20. Markely vintage. EXP's fer sure-- like them better than elixirs. Go nuts. If you're considering custom lights for some reason try Martin silk & steel lights.
Cool. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Taylor 317

Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 AM

Default My thoughts

Unless your hands sweat a lot, there is no reason to buy coated strings. A good set of uncoated strings will last a long time, provided you keep them clean. Also, any coating on a string will dampen the sound somewhat.

Probably the best strings for your guitar are Newtone Master Class. They cost more than Martin strings (also excellent) but I like the gauges:
12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54

Plain Martin phosphor bronze (lights 12-54) are very fine also. You might also try Darco (made by Martin and are identical to the Martin brand, also the Eric Clapton brand). The SPs may last a little longer as the core wires are bronze coated. A slightly warmer sound than plain Martin strings.

I don't care for D'Addario phosphor bronze lights at all - they are way too harsh and the low E string is a 53. 54 is better suited to your guitar.

One string set that I do like very much is GHS Laurence Juber signature bronze. They are also bronze-coaded (core wires) and are cryogenically treated, so they may last a bit longer than conventional strings. These strings are especially good for bending, for blues, that sort of thing.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Russ, many thanks for the detailed reply. I'll put them all on my list. I'm going to do the GC string club--it will pay for itself and I live near one as well.

Thanks again!

Taylor 317

Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
Unless your hands sweat a lot, there is no reason to buy coated strings. A good set of uncoated strings will last a long time, provided you keep them clean. Also, any coating on a string will dampen the sound somewhat.

Probably the best strings for your guitar are Newtone Master Class. They cost more than Martin strings (also excellent) but I like the gauges:
12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54

Plain Martin phosphor bronze (lights 12-54) are very fine also. You might also try Darco (made by Martin and are identical to the Martin brand, also the Eric Clapton brand). The SPs may last a little longer as the core wires are bronze coated. A slightly warmer sound than plain Martin strings.

I don't care for D'Addario phosphor bronze lights at all - they are way too harsh and the low E string is a 53. 54 is better suited to your guitar.

One string set that I do like very much is GHS Laurence Juber signature bronze. They are also bronze-coaded (core wires) and are cryogenically treated, so they may last a bit longer than conventional strings. These strings are especially good for bending, for blues, that sort of thing.
Hey, quick question: Do you mean Martin MSP4100? M540? The array is really bewildering! Thanks!

Taylor 317

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 PM

I always start any new guitar off with D'Addario EJ16 strings. Then I take it from there. If I want a little darker, maybe John Pearse. If I want brighter, I move to 80/20 strings (like the Lifespan 80/20). But EJ16s bring out the best in most of my guitars.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Martin Recommended Strings for the OMCPA4 are: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)

I would recommend you stay with light gauge strings while you test out other possible choices.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
Martin Recommended Strings for the OMCPA4 are: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge (MSP7100)

I would recommend you stay with light gauge strings while you test out other possible choices.
Yes, I plan to stay with that gauge. I tried some .011 polywebs and was not pleased. I want to see, though, if I can get a sound better than the lifespans.

thanks!

Taylor 317

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion