The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Default Video demos of guitars

I'm looking for some thoughts on the value of a Youtube video demo on a given acoustic guitar. Does it help you make a decision on whether it's the guitar for you? Can it help you judge between different wood combinations from the same manufacturer, or give an overall impression of two guitars from different manufacturers?

Obviously, there are many other factors at play here, but if someone -- say, me, for example -- were to set up a pair of high quality microphones through high quality microphone preamps to record the audio, same settings, no EQ or compression, same mics, same room every time for every guitar -- and then sync that audio up with a video of the guitar and post it, would it be worth the effort? Over time, you could build up a good library of samples.

I've been frustrated before searching on Youtube looking to hear the difference between, say, a Martin HD-28 and a D-28, and encountered terrible recordings, distorted recordings, recordings done with the camera microphone. But I have enjoyed the videos done by certain stores -- SoundPure comes to mind -- where they use high-quality gear. SoundPure, however, is constantly using different players, mics and preamps so it's hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison. Electric guitars, too many variables with amps, effects, etc. But acoustic guitars have unique sonic properties.

What say you? Novelty or valuable information?

original music: http://vicderobertis.com
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM

To me..............limited value.

My gang has done blind A/B's with Martin dreads, and you can tell a D-28 from an HD-28 and HD-28V live and in the room with your back to the instruments (experienced long time Martin players), I can't with Youtube videos.

Dream Guitars and the Podium both have pretty nice sound samples, but again they are not the same as being in the room with an instrument. Too many variables in recording gear, room treatment (or not), and website compression. Helpful sometimes but I would never make a decision solely on a sound sample.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM

I use them a lot. Just yesterday I payed a Guild D-35 with old dead strings at a pawnshop. Then came home to compare the tone with D-35's on Youtube. To see how this guitar which might have unknown defects measured up to guitars in assumedly good condition. And found it did well.
I also poured over Youtube video's at great length when deciding which new Martin to buy last spring. Comparing tones of Mahogany vs. Rosewood (D18 vs. D28) etc. And of the bracing differences. I can hear them on most Youtube video's. And found that what I heard on video translated well to what I heard when I played the guitars in person. It was a huge help to me.

Last edited by Fatstrat; 12-10-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:54 AM

I find them of limited value but.....

http://www.maurysmusic.com/guitar_video_clips

Knock yourself out.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

It can be of help sometimes when there's no other option.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:12 AM

I think they help in determining whether you like the looks of a guitar but not much help with tone. Even if you use the highest quality mics on the market, they will still "flavor" the sound. At the same time I think it helps to sell a guitar, because when I shop for one I love to see videos of people playing them. Not sure why though.

As a comparison between guitars I think they may be helpful. But even then, some videos I can't tell a difference between guitars when live I can.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 AM

The youtube video helped me some but really only because the same guy played the same demo riffs using the same mics on the same guitars I was considering. I also used the sound samples on The Podium web site and MyFavoriteGuitars.com. Finally, I played them and listened to someone else play them in person and this was the most valuable. It is interesting how much different a guitar sounds to me when someone else plays it compared to me playing it. Finally, I tried every guitar plugged in since I was shopping electric/acoustic.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic@leftiesonly View Post
I'm looking for some thoughts on the value of a Youtube video demo on a given acoustic guitar. Does it help you make a decision on whether it's the guitar for you? Can it help you judge between different wood combinations from the same manufacturer, or give an overall impression of two guitars from different manufacturers?

Obviously, there are many other factors at play here, but if someone -- say, me, for example -- were to set up a pair of high quality microphones through high quality microphone preamps to record the audio, same settings, no EQ or compression, same mics, same room every time for every guitar -- and then sync that audio up with a video of the guitar and post it, would it be worth the effort? Over time, you could build up a good library of samples.

I've been frustrated before searching on Youtube looking to hear the difference between, say, a Martin HD-28 and a D-28, and encountered terrible recordings, distorted recordings, recordings done with the camera microphone. But I have enjoyed the videos done by certain stores -- SoundPure comes to mind -- where they use high-quality gear. SoundPure, however, is constantly using different players, mics and preamps so it's hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison. Electric guitars, too many variables with amps, effects, etc. But acoustic guitars have unique sonic properties.

What say you? Novelty or valuable information?
Vic,
It's basically a novelty that can hold your attention a little longer, and perhaps get you consider ordering a particular guitar, but then again.........

You have almost answered your own question entirely. The biggest variable is going to be the user: You.

I can understand the desire, especially when trying to track down something not available locally, but it's almost always going to be a no-win situation.

How many Nick Drake wannabes found and bought vintage Guild M-20's, only to find out that their fingers were too fat to fit the narrow string spacing, so playing it efficiently was out of the question.

HE
Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 PM

At high quality settings I think there is value. I don't think the differences are ever going to be as drastic as in person but there are several individuals and retailers online that use strict parameters for recordings and I can absolutely hear differences even among quite similar guitars. This is only relevant when comparing guitars of course. If you are listening to just one guitar it doesn't help as much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion