The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Lamenting one that got away

Got an email from an online distributor having a clearance sale yesterday, including some Martins at 50% off MAP, including a new custom shop 12 fret slope shoulder dreadnought, slotted headstock, adirondack spruce over black walnut. This was everything I want in a dreadnought, everything (I know, except that I couldnt play it.) i'm just coming off of another Martin purchase, so I really couldnt justify it, but it ate away at me overnight. I came back this morning, nearly ready to pull the trigger, only to find that it had already sold.

To whichever of you got it, I expect a thorough review. Thank you for saving me $2400.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Guest 1511

You gotta stop shopping (like me), deals are popping up everywhere! I've spent more than I should this year and I'm already being lured again by another deal where the seller seems about ready to agree to my ridiculous offer (made by me in hopes he would say no, except he didn't get the hint) will be another. Sam Ash has sales, Guitar Center had some killer sales, and now there's some great deals on Reverb.

What's going on? Why do I want these guitars? Are the manufacturers loading them up with man-nip (you know, cat nip for men). My wife caught me sniffing one of my guitars the other day, shook her head like I was crazy, and said they must be putting something in the glue only guitar nuts can smell.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
You gotta stop shopping (like me), deals are popping up everywhere! I've spent more than I should this year and I'm already being lured again by another deal where the seller seems about ready to agree to my ridiculous offer (made by me in hopes he would say no, except he didn't get the hint) will be another. Sam Ash has sales, Guitar Center had some killer sales, and now there's some great deals on Reverb.

What's going on? Why do I want these guitars? Are the manufacturers loading them up with man-nip (you know, cat nip for men). My wife caught me sniffing one of my guitars the other day, shook her head like I was crazy, and said they must be putting something in the glue only guitar nuts can smell.
Don't get a d18. I can't stop sniffing the chocolatey spanish cedar. The whole guitar just smells so wonderful.

Man, are we legitimately addicted?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 PM

"The time to buy something, is when you see it" Frank Fritz, American Pickers
Old 09-21-2017, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

I'm seeing some guitars I want. But I have a personal rule that I have to sell the guitar I have that I don't want before I buy another. And it isn't selling. This just keeps me from collecting guitars to sell :-)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Here's a little story :

I been looking for a Gibson "Roy Smeck" style guitar for some years.

Gibson brought out the Jackson Browne and there was one in each of two stores in different directions - I checked them both but as so often happens with Gibsons - neither was of saleable condition.

I ordered a Custom built Huss and Dalton DS12 which was a very expensive disaster.

Then I decided that the Santa Cruz "RS" was the thing to seek out. Looked weekly for ages, joined the SCGC forum etc., and found one on there in Socal - but the guy was asking way too much and was an arrogant putz.

Then, I found one for sale at a place called "Northern Lights" In NH. I called them, and discussed it, even got a quote for shipping to me in the UK, and hummed and hawed for a couple of weeks, then contacted them again to make the purchase, on the day that they sold it!

About a month or two later, I found another on US Ebay (for sale in CONUS only) - I made contact with the guy. He was the guy who beat me to the one in northern lights - he said the depth of it hurt his shoulder. Very nice guy (and I didn't quibble abut his asking price or shipping costs) and got it.

Took a time because as I later found out - SCGC has only ever made 70!

Sometimes the hunt is as good as the catch ...actually I love the catch - my first SC!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
"The time to buy something, is when you see it" Frank Fritz, American Pickers
He's like, the last guy on earth that I want sniffing around a guitar before I buy it...
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion