The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Sometimes there is a pretty big difference between the asking price and the selling price.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

OP:You got a great deal on that D18. Was it the one from Seattle, listed on the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
I just can't knock the feeling of being the first person to own something, whether it's a car, guitar, or otherwise. What you are saying is 100% correct, but I can't bring myself to buy a used guitar, not knowing what the previous owner did to it...
Scoot: I get how cool it is to own new stuff. But it's just a guitar. It's not like you're new girlfriend used to date the entire Broncos' defensive secondary.

I bought both of my guitars used. I saved a boatload of scratch, and the few pecks and scratches on the D18 just mean that I don't have to worry about that. My J15 is "like new" pristine...for now.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Scoot: I get how cool it is to own new stuff. But it's just a guitar. It's not like you're new girlfriend used to date the entire Broncos' defensive secondary.

Last I checked, neither one comes with an odometer

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Buying used from a reputable dealer with an inspection period removes most (probably not all) risk other than shipping costs if you're not happy. But then there's a premium for that inspection period. Still, better than buying new.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post
Buying used from a reputable dealer with an inspection period removes most (probably not all) risk other than shipping costs if you're not happy. But then there's a premium for that inspection period. Still, better than buying new.
I agree, this is a great middle ground to take. You can get a used guitar from places like Guitar Center and have a return policy if it turns out to be a mess (such as buying from their online site). I say this is a middle ground because what you gain in returnability, you lose in getting the lowest price. You'll pay more than you would likely on eBay or Reverb, but still far less than new.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Yeah, the prices I see for a used D18 is not all that much less than what I paid new.
I've seen a good bit of this. Of course, we're all smart guitar buyers and know the difference between MAP, MSRP, List Price and what is a decent price for a new guitar. Not everybody does. I'm in the position of having a buying preference that appears much less frequently than say a Martin D-18 so I find myself generally limited to buying new or even ordering what I want. I was able to find my revoiced Taylor 814 (no cutaway or electronics) advertised online at a store with which I'd never dealt before and was able to arrive at an agreeable price. My revoiced 714, similarly stripped down, was a special order through Ted @ LA Guitar Sales. However, the point is that neither was available on the used guitar market because certain revoiced plain Jane Taylor models are unfortunately much less available than Martins or Larivees without cutaway or electronics...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-21-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 AM

Another thing to factor in is the availability of certain models/brands. I live in Australia. Of course there are plenty of used guitars around, but if I'm after something specific (say, an Eastman E1000!!) - well, they just aren't here. In fact it's almost impossible to find ANY Eastman, new or used. I'd have to order from overseas and get it shipped. It'd be silly to get used as there would be little recourse if there was issues. And good luck finding a used SC, Collings, etc. I lived in the US for a while and was spoilt for choice. Not so much here.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
I just can't knock the feeling of being the first person to own something, whether it's a car, guitar, or otherwise. What you are saying is 100% correct, but I can't bring myself to buy a used guitar, not knowing what the previous owner did to it.

That is, of course, until the perfect used Collings OMH2 comes around and I can't say no.
We are a funny bunch aren't we?

If it were socks or underwear, I'd agree with you, but guitars or cars ? No.

I did buy my house new but that was a long time ago and I just wanted fast and easy.

A used car has a service history, and, hopefully, a warranty, and a guitar has been opened up for you, but horses for courses.

When buying used cars I used to tae someone who knew about them to check them out, or get the checked out by the AA, but now I only buy from dealers.

With guitars it is best to have the experience to know what to look for, although I have made one mistake.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Last I checked, neither one comes with an odometer
You can use your hands and toes to count for the gf. lol. Less than one hand is pristine to me. lol
Old 09-21-2017, 05:15 AM

Somebody has to first buy it new. Thank you very much you who cannot stand to buy used. A big thank you.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 AM

I buy new and used in all areas. Mostly used now that I know how to assess any problematic issues on products I want. I buy new when something I want something that is so new it can't be found used or I really want a warranty.

I'm grateful for all the people who buy new as they are needed to balance out the market. They give me deals. We all can't be used buyers only.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
...I'm grateful for all the people who buy new as they are needed to balance out the market. They give me deals. We all can't be used buyers only.
Honestly, as am I.

First, I am terrified by the tyranny of choices when it comes to selecting a new guitar. Choosing to buy new I am limited to what I can find on the used market for my budget.

Second, I hope to find a seller who is an exponent at picking guitars and trust him to have chosen the best guitar that he could find. I try to find the expert owner. He did the hard graft of sifting through a pile so that I don't have to. I don't trust my own judgment, sad as it might be to admit it.

Third, I don't lose much if I don't bond with a used guitar. Lowered risk to the pocketbook.

Fourth, the thrill of the serendipitous find.

I am all for buying used. But buy only from the right dude or dudette or there will be pain.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:14 AM

For over 18 yrs., I've bought nothing but used guitars.

I mostly find AMAZING deals on used electrics, but I've also found amazing deals on some used acoustics in the last 3 yrs. or so.

$270 - '03 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom
$646 - '05 Taylor 414-CE L10 Fall LTD
$149 - '98 Yamaha LL-11
$99 - '68 Yamaha FG-180 Red Label

I run into a ton of used guitars on a daily basis, and eventually I'll find an amazing deal on one that sounds and plays great.

Those are the one's that come home with me.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I buy new and used. It doesn't matter to me. For me the guitar dictates whether or not I will buy it. Not the price (within reason) or anything else. I will buy a new one that I love over a used one that is just OK, and vice versa. Like anyone else I prefer to spend less, so I will buy used in a heartbeat, but only when the guitar is a jewel. Same with new guitars.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I like to hang out in guitar stores, so I usually buy new, but Ive also become something of a bottom feeder. I watch for instruments that aren't likely to move quickly or that I know have been around for a while and I find out why. If it's something I can live with, I can wait til the store marks them down for quick sale and pick them up cheap. I just bought a 000-42 that had been in the store for two years and has a couple smudges on the back that should come out with a good cleaner. It's a great guitar that I got for a lot less than MAP and that I'd had my eye on for a while and knew I liked. I picked up a Gibson J-45 TV the same way for about half of MAP, and a couple of peg winder nicks were easily cleaned up.

On the other hand, I bought my Collingses and Santa Cruz new at full price, and why not? I got to play the instruments over a period of time to make sure I liked them and I got to support a favorite local store. Used ones online go for nearly as much anyway.

I agree with the buy 'em and keep 'em philosophy. Over 20 years, the purchase price becomes irrelevant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion