The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Blueridge BR-361 - New Tuners Suggestions

Hi acoustic fellas,

i'm loving everything about my BR-361 except the tuners. They are cheaply built if you compare them to the overall quality of the guitar.
I believe she deserves some new tuners (3 in a row vintage style).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by cisco7; 09-18-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: minor corrections
Old 09-18-2017, 11:58 AM

I put a set of Waverly Snakewood 3-a-side tuners on my 00015-SM and they look and work a treat so I can safely recommend them, but they ain't cheap so it really depends on how much you want to spend. Gotoh do some really classy 3-a-sides as well, vintage style or modern.
You should be able to find something somewhere without too difficult a search. Get a StewMac catalogue and have a look through that for ideas, you don't have to pay their prices...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I put a set of Waverly Snakewood 3-a-side tuners on my 00015-SM and they look and work a treat so I can safely recommend them, but they ain't cheap so it really depends on how much you want to spend. Gotoh do some really classy 3-a-sides as well, vintage style or modern.
You should be able to find something somewhere without too difficult a search. Get a StewMac catalogue and have a look through that for ideas, you don't have to pay their prices...
Thanks Mr.Scott, yes i've been looking around online and found some tuners that could do the job. But i'm really curious to hear about real world experience . Btw those waverlys look great!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

You do know that the distances between centre on slot head guitars are not standardised don't you?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
You do know that the distances between centre on slot head guitars are not standardised don't you?
Yes, that's why i'm looking for an exact match
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM

According to Blueridge specs, the stock tuners are made by Gotoh. I have them on my 371 and like them. I believe they compare well to the Golden Age plate tuners sold by Stew Mac.

I agree with earlier posts that the next step up would probably be Waverlys but that is a pretty big chunk o' change. You might want to get out your calipers before that investment. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

In the next week or so I'll be installing a Gotoh SXN510V set, and have high expectations — but no experience with them yet. The SX510 series requires either counter-bores from the back (press-fit bushings) or 10mm peghead holes (threaded bushings).

I went with the threaded bushings as they appear to be even more robust, perhaps less likely for string tension to pull the shafts off center. From the back, they look like standard vintage-style open-gear tuners. Beyond that, they're built like modern sealed-gear tuners.

Edit: I didn't realize that the BR-361 had 3-on-a-plate tuners. Never mind.

Last edited by 5th Element; 09-18-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Were those Waverlys a perfect fit, without any reaming or other alteration?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
According to Blueridge specs, the stock tuners are made by Gotoh. I have them on my 371 and like them. I believe they compare well to the Golden Age plate tuners sold by Stew Mac.

I agree with earlier posts that the next step up would probably be Waverlys but that is a pretty big chunk o' change. You might want to get out your calipers before that investment. Good luck!
Thanks realbluesman, yes according to the measurements these are likely to fit properly: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...1.html#reviews
Old 09-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
Thanks realbluesman, yes according to the measurements these are likely to fit properly: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...1.html#reviews
Uhmm. I have to correct myself, the distance between the 2 middle screws is different. There's more distance between them on the Blueridge. Approx 4mm.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Stewart McDonald also sells a Tri-Flow pinpoint lubrication for tuners.
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...ubricator.html

Might try that first.

Worked for me on a Blueridge BR-243A. I removed them, kind of saturated them in Tri-Flow, let it dry over night and reinstalled.

The problem I had was that wood came off when I removed the screws, so I purchased some round toothpicks, pushed in and broke them off flush with the surface and that worked well.

I'd be careful using the Tri-Flow on Waverlies with nylon bushings, but the Gotoh on my Blueridge were all metal.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
Cisco, I don't think you will see much improvement with the Golden Age. They are well made but I believe the gear ratio/response is the same as what you have. Maybe you should look at a 18 or 21:1 ratio; for more precise tuning?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Cisco, I don't think you will see much improvement with the Golden Age. They are well made but I believe the gear ratio/response is the same as what you have. Maybe you should look at a 18 or 21:1 ratio; for more precise tuning?
Well the gear ratio is important but what i'm really looking for are solid and durable tuners with a smooth gear movement. They seem to be impossible to find for my br361.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 AM

You might want to inquire over on the blueridge forum. Not much activity there but worth a try. Good luck!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theu...tarforum18213/
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You might want to inquire over on the blueridge forum. Not much activity there but worth a try. Good luck!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theu...tarforum18213/
Thanks Realbluesman, i'll be trying for sure

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion