The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Ah yes, I guess there is. The (inside) walls of our house, thanks to a fancy-pants interior decorator person-type are our favorite colors purple and 'moss green' - and to go with it 'tan'...but not just ANY tan, but (wait for it) 'paper bag brown'!
And my fear is that he will put down this guitar in said living room, and never be able to find it again as it will blend in perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
That is a pretty fancy paint brush. Gonna have to get me one of those.
Can do (should do) Dennis, but these brushes aren't cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
A pleasant departure from the modernist aesthetic .. a touch of the Larson tradition in the rosette, very nice!! Kudos!!
Hey thanks, Maurerfan, I was hoping you'd drop by. We both share a love for "the olde stuff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
So where is the sign up sheet for the next 00? That would be a perfect addition to my collection. These woods are beautiful, I cant wait to follow this build thread
Drawing up the sheet now, Dave!

Thanks all,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Steve,

I should be smart enough to know this already, but what is the size comparison between the new OO and the parlors you have been building?

Thanks,

T of SKT
Old 07-12-2017, 03:48 PM

I do not mean to preempt Steve on this one, but Steve's parlor is (I am pretty sure) fashioned after Martin's '1' size and of course his '00' mirrors Martins '00' ... here is a handy picture

Showing, from left to right, 1-28, 0-28, 00-28, 000-28, OM-28 and D-28. Steve's FS is basically a 12-fret '0000' which of course Martin never made but they should. Steve just beat them to it!

Sorry Steve...anything you'd like to add?
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Thanks Bob, a picture is worth a 1000 words, that showed it quite nicely. Thanks!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

And more Martin lore parenthetically:

So it is understandably confusing...why is a '1' smaller than a '0' (it isn't on my calculator)!

But Martin started with even 'higher numbers' than 1...here's the genealogy and numbering...

Stauffer Martin, Hudson Street Martin, Size 3, Size 2 1/2, Size 2, and Size 1

So when Martin was at '1' and they needed to go larger '0' was logical (tho it doesn't seem so to us today), and then on to '00' and so on.
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 07-12-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks Bob, a picture is worth a 1000 words, that showed it quite nicely. Thanks!!!
You're welcome and so sorry to walk all over a question intended for Steve, but he's probably off slaving over a guitar or three and i'm just 'working!'
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM

So while I am in smarty-pants professor mode, let me give you the comparison of the original '00' and the last one they offered in their catalog:

And perhaps point out some obvious and not so obvious differences…

From top to bottom: they went from Square slots to rounded slots in the peg head. A belly bridge replaced the original 'Pyramid' bridge. They added the pick guard. And inside they got rid of the scalloped bracing. [The binding/ornamentation is different because of the model numbering: 00-28 on the left, with its white bindings, and a 00-21, with dark bindings, on the right; along with different fret-board ornamentation.]

Last edited by TuckerRE; 07-12-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Bob, may I be so presumptuous to ask if these are from your collection?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Not presumptuous...

Quote:
Bob, may I be so presumptuous to ask if these are from your collection?
You may ask and no, not presumptuous (or not offensively so, certainly), because i only have the one '00' and it appears identical to the one from the catalog (on the outside), but, as i mentioned before I had the bracing scolloped posthumorusly (after its no longer funny). I may try and include some actually 'footage' of my 'Ms Marty' at some point, but it remains in pretty good condition after being my number one six string for many years.

I doubt if i can get inside for a good shot at the after-market whittling, but if i can, i will!
Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Tom, Bob's pic is quite helpful. The numbers between a size 1 (our parlor model is patterned after this) and a 00 are enough to make a difference.
The #1 is 12 7/8" at lower bout, while the 00 is 14 1/8". The extra 1 1/4" in lower bout alone is significant. Length of the #1 is 18 7/8", while the 00 length is 19 5/8". Of course, the best way to assess the differences, is to play the different models back to back. Come on down!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM

Default S.Kinnaird 00 Indonesian Rosewood/CO BlueSpruce

Bob is also quite crazy! First he converts a perfectly good formal dining room into a music room… And then proceeds to put framed blueprints of Instruments on the wall!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 AM

Thanks Steve.

It is a very pretty frame Bob and a nice blueprint....also can see the color of the wall and compare it to the marquetry now as well hahaha....
Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steve.

...pretty frame Bob and a nice blueprint....also can see the color of the wall and compare it to the marquetry now as well hahaha....

Now that it is daylight perhaps I can show you moss green and purple walls! Hey, what is this the home decorating thread?! We want guitarz!!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:57 PM

Default S.Kinnaird 00 Indonesian Rosewood/CO BlueSpruce

OK I promise this is the last post having to do with housing or interior design. Promise!!

Now maybe we can get back to guitars

Last edited by TuckerRE; 07-13-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM

Well dang it, who would have thought, there it is purple, moss green and paper bag brown all in one view and all work together!!!!! I would never have thought that possible...nice Robert....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop