The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Terz Tuning Easy Transposition Aids

Hello people,

Following on from a previous thread I started, I was just wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction of any Terz tuning chord charts?

Basically, what I'm looking for is some visual tools/aids/charts/apps that provide me quick information that will enable me to transpose songs played in their relevant keys on a standard neck, onto the Terz neck, without changing the pitch.

For example, I was initially looking to be able to play in E on the Terz, and a a couple of very helpful, fellow AGFer suggested playing with the capo on the 1st fret and playing in C, transposing the rest of the key's chords accordingly, or capoing on the 4th fret and playing in A.

Well, after a little further jamming, it's become evident that I actually need to be able to quickly/easily play, at least the CAGED keys in standard, onto the Terz, without changing pitch.

Are there any reference tools out there you can point me towards please?

I've spent the last hour or so searching on google, but so far i've not come up with much, and having taken an unwanted break from guitar, due to injury, my theory head has become a little foggy, so would really appreciate the help.

Alternatively, some suggestions on the quickest/easiest way to play in -

C
A
G
E
&
D

Would be most helpful and appreciated.

Sorry for the continuation thread here, I hadn't realised that I needed all 5 keys covered, when I initially posted the original post.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post

Alternatively, some suggestions on the quickest/easiest way to play in -

C
A
G
E
&
D

Would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
C - no capo and play in "A" ; or capo 2 and play in "G".

A - capo 2 and play in E; capo 4 and play in D; capo 6 and play in C

G - no capo, play in E; capo 2 play in D; capo 4 play in C

E - as per your post, but also capo 4 and play as if in A; capo 6 in G

D - capo 2 and play in A; capo 4 and play in G

Hope that helps. (And also hope I counted correctly!)

Keith
Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
C - no capo and play in "A" ; or capo 2 and play in "G".

A - capo 2 and play in E; capo 4 and play in D; capo 6 and play in C

G - no capo, play in E; capo 2 play in D; capo 4 play in C

E - as per your post, but also capo 4 and play as if in A; capo 6 in G

D - capo 2 and play in A; capo 4 and play in G

Hope that helps. (And also hope I counted correctly!)

Keith
Wow! This is just what the doctor ordered Keith!

Awesome input, much appreciated, and will be duly put to good use. Thank you.

Right, it's time to get cracking with this knowledge you've shared and get jamming.

Cheers buddy
Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 AM

You're welcome.

Is your Terz a purpose built instrument, or a higher tuned "normal" guitar?

I have a small bodied short scale near-parlour sized guitar that I keep tuned 3 frets up with lighter strings than usual. I really love the different tonality this gives; not at all like the same guitar with normal strings at standard pitch and capo 3. Love it, especially for playing with another guitarist as it makes it so easy to get totally different voicings - I tend to play the Terz at capo2 or 4 most of the time, and it sits beautifully and distinctly above a normal guitar with no capo.

Keith
Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 AM

You might look into making a transposition wheel chart. It'll make transposing much easier.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Key-...el-for-chords/
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
You're welcome.

Is your Terz a purpose built instrument, or a higher tuned "normal" guitar?

I have a small bodied short scale near-parlour sized guitar that I keep tuned 3 frets up with lighter strings than usual. I really love the different tonality this gives; not at all like the same guitar with normal strings at standard pitch and capo 3. Love it, especially for playing with another guitarist as it makes it so easy to get totally different voicings - I tend to play the Terz at capo2 or 4 most of the time, and it sits beautifully and distinctly above a normal guitar with no capo.

Keith
Hi Keith,

My 'Terz guitar' is actually a Cordoba Mini R - which was designed to play either a 3rd or a 4th up from standard. It's a fantastic sounding and fun little guitar, with a very fast, flat fretboard and lovely wide neck and string spacing. It's got a very beautiful tone and was inexpensive. I love it. It is fantastic for fingerstayle practice, and play, which is my go-to style nowadays. So with the capo either on the 2nd or 4th fret, as you usually have your Terz set up, I'd be playing either a 5th or 7th up for standard, I can see how this naturally fits harmonically with accompaniment to standard. I will no doubt be frequenting the same areas, most regularly with my capo play. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
You might look into making a transposition wheel chart. It'll make transposing much easier.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Key-...el-for-chords/
Awesome! Thanks for this jpmist
Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashup View Post
Awesome! Thanks for this jpmist
Sure thing! Often I have to find a key that fits my limited vocal range, so this comes in handy.

Not to hijack thread, but I never knew about terz guitars until I saw a clip of Mark Knopfler playing one in a studio. It's a Martin O, I think and with it's nylon strings has a nice sweet soft chimey tone. My own "terz" type is a 22" scale Kala mini Orchestra which is real fun to play. Like playing with a capo on G on a standard guitar without the capo..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhYNEjXfPk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion