The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM

And so it begins...... At first I had a D-28 but wanted a second guitar for alternate tunings and to also use as a beater. Seagull S6 filled that slot acceptably. Over time I grew to use 6-7 different tunings, so kept 6-7 different guitars out and ready.

The last few times performing, I brought three guitars to avoid so much re-tuning time on stage. Some tunings required changing all six strings, which simply took too much time. One guitar handles standard tuning and changes of one or two string like Drop D, CGDGBE, or Open G (admittedly three strings change here, but easily). A second guitar covers F Wahine (CFCGCE), and a third does a variation of Open C (CGEGCE). With some of these, there is enough overall tension change on the neck that all six strings need to be tweaked, which takes two full passes to get right.

I am slowly learning that when playing solo it does not have to be at absolute pitch. When changing three strings and the others are off by 3-4 cents, I simply tune the altered ones off by the same increment to match. David Wilcox uses a different tuning for almost every song, but he has memorized the numbers of turns of the peg to get roughly where he wants, and does a quick check during the banter before starting the next song. That would be the advantage of using only one guitar (or just one model / gear ratio of tuning machine).

Congrats on the Larrivee OM, BTW. Nice!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Update here, a gretsch roots 00 (g9531) os a great dadgad fingerstyle guitsr for $400!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

I use an old Tacoma maple little jumbo, has a cutaway. Have Plectrum 10s on it. Works great. I owe it all to TBMan's gorgeous sound files.

On tuning, I got to see Leo Kottke in Santa Barbara on Sunday, it was a blast. He made some remarks about being one of the few who would capo a 12 string at the 7th fret as he sat there turning all the buttons just the right amount, and adjusting the second tier of strings. He was also changing tunings a lot on his six string. A Taylor man all the way, at least when performing. I think because of his hearing loss the brightness of the Taylors is better for him.

Last edited by TKT; 09-21-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: senior brain typing
Old 09-21-2017, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

I just got Newtone Heritage DADGAD strings for my DADGAD guitar. They sound great. The guitar by the way is Walnut/Spruce with fan frets. The longer scale on the bass side really brings out the DADGAD sound.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Or (given a guitar with enough frets for you), you could install 3 of these, for about $100:
https://www.pitch-key.com/

what the heck is that?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:22 PM

i vote for a used larrivee. the oms and the Ls are great dadgad guitars. i found a japanese made lowden for 1500 cad, about 1150 usd, whcih is great but they are rare..
Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I like bluegrass strings for DADGAD. Light trebles with medium wounds.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 PM

A Larrivee OM-2 is an excellent choice. Here's an example of what a Larrivee OM-2 in alternate tunings by Stephen Wake sounds like;

https://www.youtube.com/user/stevecr223
Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
what the heck is that?
Should be clear if you follow the link & look at their website. A string-mounted device on a guitar headstock that let's you have 2 (or 3) tuning points set for a string. Pop from E to D and back, etc. 2 of them would let you go to double-drop D, & 3 would allow DADGAD.

Can't do much on the high E on an electric, but does work on most acoustics for that string.

Instruction page here, with diagrams as to how they look on a headstock:
https://www.pitch-key.com/instructions/

Here's an acoustic demo on YouTube:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

Last edited by kkrell; 09-22-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Looks very interesting and obviously could save time. Does it add a bunch of weight to the head stock, or effect tone? Thank you for posting this.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
Thanks to all who replied. I decided to order a Larrivee OM-02. Only concern is having to mail order (should arrive in a week). However, I did spend time w a Larrivee L-03 and loved it except too large for my shoulder. OM is right size. Hope to positively report back. Would love suggestions for DADGAD strings. Thanks🎼
Excellent choice! Congrats and enjoy your new guitar.

I had a Larrivee OM-03 I tuned to DADGAD with mediums. I currently us a Martin 00 with lights. I think you just need to experiment with strings until your ears and fingers are happy.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 AM

I've been in search of a guitar duo to handle my DADGAD/STANDARD needs. I think I've finally found my perfect combo in my D-18 in standard and my 814ce in DADGAD. I have an OM28 being delivered today that was supposed to replace my 814ce, but we are going to have a trial period to wait and see.

The problem I have with multiple guitars laying around is that I always gravitate to one. I'm sort of monogamous by nature and I tend to have one guitar that really speaks to me. Right now, my D-18 could handle just about anything I throw at it. The 814ce is a little deeper sounding in DADGAD, and sounds more "orchestral" whereas the D-18 is more sweet and fundamental, but strong and assertive.

Both sound great, but the best "all around" guitar I've ever had is my D-18.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Chuck,
Any particular brand of mediums? Did you have to make a truss rod adjustment and/or set-up for the mediums on the Larrivee?
Thanks a million!
Ricketts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion