The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Been invited to perform Christmas Eve service

A couple months ago this lady and I performed Amazing Grace at church one Sunday. I thought we did alright, sure that everyone in the audience noticed the little flubs I'd made (started on the wrong chord- I had strummed an E to make sure we were in tune, and the song started on D, I still had my fingers on E and strummed it, she was fingerpicking the D and I thought for sure everyone noticed it, I'm my own worst critic, but on the recording I made it wasn't that noticeable).

Anyway, it was very well received. I was approached by a member of the committee who asked me if I could do Away in a Manger as part of the Christmas Eve program. I said I would if I could find the chords for it online (which I did).

Pretty excited for getting noticed for me talents by a different crowd of people than I'd normally play for.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

That's great! I play each week at a blended church service. Did Amazing Grace for a memorial service recently. Glad you're participating in the Christmas Eve Program. Did that a few years ago as well. Have fun!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 PM

JayBones - Away In a Manger has always been my favorite. Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 12-05-2016, 03:38 AM

I'll be doing "Silent Night" in ours. I got to play it Friday for a concert where musicians from seven different churches came together. Used my McKnight and Boomerang III looper, so that I could play a duet with myself on guitar and Moeck alto recorder. Well received.

cotten
Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 AM

Good for you, and great that you're adding to the service. I never think of the congregation as an audience, and I don't think congregations hear the mistakes. If they do, how could you ever find a less judgemental group of people to treat with a clunker?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I'll be doing "Silent Night" in ours. I got to play it Friday for a concert where musicians from seven different churches came together. Used my McKnight and Boomerang III looper, so that I could play a duet with myself on guitar and Moeck alto recorder. Well received.

cotten
I'd like to hear that!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Good for you. I have played services in the past and they are one of my treasured memories. Dont have the opportunity now but thats ok, been there.
Remember that you want to do your best so they can use it to worship. Dont be flashy.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very very cool. Such a beautiful melody. And quite an honor to be asked to do that by congregation members.

I always love singing "Go Tell it on the Mountain" around the holidays.

peace of the season,
scott
Old 12-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Good for you. I love Christmas music and performing it during the holidays as always been a huge part of my life and the holidays. Have fun!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:11 PM

I play in my Church praise group and have for many years. While we try to do the best we can, we are mostly volunteers who still work full time jobs. I always try to avoid "Entertaining a congregation". If your heart is in it, that's what matters.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:39 PM

You're going to "knock them dead." Know your song and practice singing it. You will be fine..........As mentioned, playing for a church congregation is different from most other public audiences. Enjoy yourself and have fun with it. You'll likely be doing it again.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:55 PM

The venue pretty much guarantees forgiveness if your performance is lacking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion