The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I've played several and owned one Bourgeois 0. I think they are uniformly excellent for fingerstyle, but mixed on light flat picking where they can be boxy. I agree that you can't beat a small Froggy if it fits within your budget. They have power and tone that defy their size. I agree with others who have posted their positive opinions of Collings 0 models, which I find consistently good.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I spent many years looking for a really good small guitar. If you like a boxy, plonky, nasal sound, there are a bunch to choose from. If you want a really good guitar with a full, balanced voice in a very small package, there are only a few. 0-sized means (to me) less than 14" lower bout (Martin's spec is 13 1/2").

Froggy Bottom excels in this. The P series is amazing. It bests a lot of OMs. Although the body is slightly elongated, at 13.375" it's in the 0 category.

Froggy's L is smaller than an 0, and also an awesome instrument. It's a little compressed, but still has a full voice across the spectrum.

It's carbon fiber and not the rosewood you mentioned, but Rainsong's parlor doesn't have much compromise tonally and a great choice for not a whole lot of money.

I was impressed with Collings' 0's, but was surprised that the 14 fret models I played were a little richer and well balanced than the 12 fret versions. It's not terribly difficult to find a shop with a few samples on hand. Play the variety of wood combos and see which you like better.

Bourgeois is a little quieter and warmer, and you're moving closer to the "play it first" group. Lower bout is a little wider than a traditional 0, and they don't come in 12 fret.

Huss and Dalton's, Martin's and Santa Cruz's 0 is a little too thin on the bass notes and a little to nasal / boxy for me. SC's PJ and Style 1 didn't do it for me either. The Martin is the least expensive, but at those price points you're better off with something else.

Larrivee has sold a lot of their parlors, and I have one. Mine has had the braces worked over by Christian Stoll (a luthier in Germany), and it's a great improvement; but I wouldn't recommend one for anything other than a couch guitar to noodle around on. You're going to compromise on the sound.

Seagull's Grand Parlor doesn't come in rosewood, but I'll include it since I have one too. If you're thinking about a Larrivee, this is a better choice based simply on price. It's still compromised on sound, but you didn't spend as much money.

Larry Pattis and countless others would disagree. I've played Larrivee rosewood parlors next to the best of them and they've held their own.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMMFpReP8Y

That's a Larrivee pv-09 unplugged

Perhaps it's time to have those ears checked

Last edited by JackNapier; 12-04-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

.....a late 20's Martin 0 will flip my switch every time...

...but i don't have the funds for one of those....so my 1889 X-braced Washburn has to do the job.....and it certainly does that...crazy good value on the vintage Washburns...

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:12 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SL5h4FKfQyk
Old 12-04-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNapier View Post
Larry Pattis and countless others would disagree. I've played Larrivee rosewood parlors next to the best of them and they've held their own.
Please list "the best of them" you've played them next to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNapier View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMMFpReP8Y

That's a Larrivee pv-09 unplugged

Perhaps it's time to have those ears checked
No need. I own both a Larrivee Parlor and a Froggy L. I had a P.

Last edited by dneal; 12-04-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:12 AM

My favorite little guitar is my Santa Cruz PJ. Its is a little bit smaller than a Martin 0. Talking almost an inch less across the lower bout and almost an inch shorter. Scale may be a shade less too. With all that, it is an incredible little guitar to play and hear. Big clear sound and it just rings out forever. I am (learning to play) finger style on it. It's a blast. Don't mind flatpicking on it either. Sounds great flatpicking Celtic and old time along with another smaller guitar and or a mando or two. I like playing classical on it too as I don't have a classical. I have always been a fan of smaller guitars and love playing my 00 as well. Obtained the PJ in a trade plus cash deal that sent my Larrivee Parlor packing. Had the Larrivee for about 5-6 years and never thought I would let it go. It was a terrific guitar. Flat picked it every day. I especially liked the spruce maple combo. The extra brightness just appealed to me. Great for rags and bluesy stuff. Had a schertler blue stick in it and the guitar was wonderful plugged in. The Larrivee went with me everywhere including on planes. Would still have it except the opportunity for a PJ came along. Before the Larrivee I had a Seagull parlor. Also a very nice guitar. Just not as nice as the Larrivee. I do think the Seagull and Larrivee are my absolute favorites in their price range. Love my PJ as I said, but I can't tell you it's better than similar size guitars made by Bourgeois or Collings or other more expensive guitars. Did have the opportunity to play a vintage Martin 028 a few weeks back and it was very special. I should also mention I have a 'little' Martin that was a generous gift from a friend. It is nice, it is functional, and it has a place. However, it is not to be confused with any of the guitars mentioned thus far in the whole thread.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Please list "the best of them" you've played them next to.

No need. I own both a Larrivee Parlor and a Froggy L. I had a P.

I've played a bourgeois, Collings and Larrivee parlor at gruhns in Nashville. The Larrivee had great sustain and was really chimney. They all sounded good. None really better than the other.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

My brand new Ralph Bown Braz/Sitka '0' is my favorite but I also have a 1926 0-18, a 1911 0-42 and a 1907 0-28. This latter guitar was the inspiration for the new Bown.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Sexauer...Sexauer...Sexauer!!! I've searched for years and this is the only truly 0 sized guitar that makes me wonder why they ever made another size. Costly but worth every penny. I sold all my other acoustics to have the one Sexauer FT-13-0. 'nuff said :-)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:02 PM

... just a note in case you decide to look toward a Froggy Bottom - it is near impossible to find a small body (L or P) Froggy Bottom that doesn't use a 2 3/16ths string spacing at the bridge and I believe your original post called for a 2 and 1/4th spacing or better. I guess you could have one made but you are a long way out...

BAT - High praise indeed for Sexauer since I have played a couple of the small bodies you have owned at one point or another!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Larrivee did a couple of runs of Brazilian P-09s in the mid-late 90's. The last few I've seen advertised have gone for around $2000. Well worth trying, should you ever get the chance.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Larrivee small bodied guitars make some very pretty sound alright, but there's not enough curve in the fretboard to be comfortable for me. Noticed that about several of the Canadian builders (not all); there seems to be a penchant for flatter necks. Was like pulling teeth with a pitchfork for me, but I finally had to part with a really fine little Ted Thompson TM2 because it kept me working harder than I'd like, too much of the time. Oh well, good for me that there are so many fine guitars available these days.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 PM

I purchased this no name from Howling Bob in Portland, many moons ago....had no idea what it was, but for Bob's spectacular description!

Under 3 lbs....great couch guitar!

Bill

Last edited by wireless; 12-04-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

I think this will be pretty cool,
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=451668

This is one of the solid wood Japan Yairi Luthier made models, not the laminate versions.
Nice lines, love the headstock shape.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 AM

The early/vintage Martin 0 in brazilian is hard to beat. Getting the amount and quality of volume and tone from a 13 1/4" body I find astounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion